Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love it if they got rid of the left side grip so I could put my eye up to the viewfinder without obstruction. No reason for the left side anymore since there are no film reels.

10-04-2013, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #437
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(...) the "bump" actually conceals a headphone port.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I must have missed something. How do you know so sure it conceals a headphone port?!? A photographic tool dedicated even more to video, of all the rumors, hopes and whishes that have been vented on PF, I've seen such a request exactly 0.0 times.
(...)
It so happens I do know. Mark my words and rendez-vous on the 8th (an announcement date I happen to be the first to have posted here ).
Proof of concept, sooner than expected

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238763-k-3-pictures-fr...hone-jack.html
10-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #438
Veteran Member

Back side
Attached Images

10-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok ok, you were right, the camera sucks. Happy now?

Hey no sign of that sensor shift feature either...

10-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ok ok, you were right, the camera sucks. Happy now?
(...)
I'm not particularly unhappy but I don't see why a dedicated audio jack would make the K-3 suck...
10-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #441
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Answers quite a few questions.

I'm guessing those two blue symbols at the bottom right mean dual SD card slots.
Looks like it. This will be a very important feature for wedding togs who can't afford to lose images to a corrupt card.
10-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #442
Veteran Member

What's the rounded edged frame in the viewfinder?

That's different.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Back side

10-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #443
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn sexy thing. Looks very, very polished up; just look at those 4 key buttons, their design.
If the camera delivers what the rumours promise, that Ricoh inscription deserves to be engraving.
10-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #444
Banned

Now Ricoh, one body in between K3 and K50, with tilting LCD. Pleaseeeee!
10-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #445
Veteran Member

Having an FF viewfinder on a APS-C sensor wouldn't be that extraordinary. Sigma had that with the SD10, and I thought it was a nice feature. You could see what was outside the frame, which is pretty neat for sports photography etc., and actually photography in general. Helps with composition etc.

As for electronic viewfinder, there'd be the possibility to flip an electronic viewfinder into view... so at the push of a button you'd either be able to look through the lens directly, or through an EVF. Those with cameras that have an EVF seem to say it's great in some situations (the info it gives, being able to magnify a part for manual focusing, ...). And if you want to take photos in a situation where a traditional viewfinder is better (or you just want to save battery)... you can switch back. I for one would love to have that feature, especially when coupled with a really good EVF. But... those things are expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by BobBlazevic Quote
I had a thought that it would be possible to fit a mechanism in this area to shift the entire sensor system automatically.
It could take bracketed pictures as the sensor is shifted down and to one side, then up, then to the other side, and then down.
Then the image processor automatically stiches it together.
Essentially, every lens is now a shift lens.
This would also fit in with the 40Mp with sensor shift talk.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/237866-pentax-k3-40-mp-via-sensor-shift.html
We already have the every lens is a shift lens feature in the K-5, though it is well hidden. Now having that in a braketing sort of mode would be great, I've been hoping for that for quite a while. Especially when they increase range of the sensor shift function to cover the entire FF area. For still photographers who use a tripod that could turn their cameras into FF cameras with very high resolution, without the bulk and pricetag of a FF camera. It doesn't give you all of the FF advantages, but it's something.

@derekkite: http://www.starduos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/oled_laptop2013.jpg Now I believe that was a couple of years ago... I think Google Glass uses a transparent display too, but I haven't looked through one yet. And any LCD panel is transparent, the light comes from behind the actual LCD. Using OLED, i.e. an self illuminated screen would be better though since it wouldn't require for a big flat lightsource to pop up behind the screen.

But if they use an transparent OLED, why would they need a motor? To completely block off light?

@ElJamoquio: As Palm, Microsoft and BlackBerry will gladly tell you... it isn't enough to be better than the competitors in the mobile phone space. You have to be so much better that people will be willing to switch. It must be a big improvement. Especially since people have already invested into other systems, they are used to those systems and have several expensive lenses. JUST giving them a camera that does all the same things, just a bit faster, a bit cheaper, a bit better built, ... that isn't enough. Now THIS here... THIS could be enough to convince others. If every single feature rumored and wanted is implemented.

A Z axis sensor shift? Nice. I like your thinking, bossa.

Oh god. the new photos. Ricoh? Really? Also, the video recording button doubles as a LiveView button? That REALLY sucks. What the hell were they thinking?! Damn it. It's useless then... all they added was some paint. What I need is being able to start video recording regardless of the mode I am in. If I have to be in video mode to start shooting a video, then I may as well use the shutter button?! Ah, I missed the switch between video and photo... so video whereever I want, but it is still one step more than I wanted. Couldn't they just have dropped that switch and given us another button? Clavius would be happy too, cause he could reassign that red button to whatever he wants to.

It does have USB 3.0... could that mean we can plug in a HDD and save photos/videos to that hard drive instead? Or it would be nice to bring along a USB 3.0 harddrive and just copy files from SD card to that drive, when the SD card is full (or as a backup).

@Uluru: Better yet, give us WiFi and an API or something so we can connect our smartphone to it. Use the smartphone as a screen and to control the camera.

Last edited by kadajawi; 10-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.
10-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #446
Banned

What's the screen size of the K-3? 3"? Or bigger? Maybe we need a K-5 ovelay on top to see how things have changed...
10-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Now Ricoh, one body in between K3 and K50, with tilting LCD. Pleaseeeee!
Why would anyone need a tilting LCD?
10-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So would this also be a scary new thing that needs ironing out in the testfase off the first years production????????????????
Well, that patent was applied in 2005 by Pentax. They had enough time to "ironing it out". Nevertheless it is a complicated thing to implement and may be any reliability issue could have it out of production.
10-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

A Z axis sensor shift? Nice. I like your thinking, bossa.
I don't believe a Z axis is possible because it would bring the sensor out of focus, isn't it?
10-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #450
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I don't believe a Z axis is possible because it would bring the sensor out of focus, isn't it?
A Z-axis sensor shift is rumoured to be used by Sony on a soon-to-be-announced NEX body to help focus with manual lenses (à la Contax AX).

With autofocus lenses, it's called AF-C .