Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its also to make the camera recognize the lens ID and do appropriate in-camera corrections (of CA, distortion). Sure, if you are not planning on using those lenses and flashes, you might not need it. But! The update might also include silent fixes, things they dont tell us about.
Unless Pentax changed their way of doing, no need for a firmware for CA et all, those are built-in lens (cool huh?).

10-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget Pentax has adopted Ricoh's Firmware update policy - regular updates to Firmware for all models that have the necessary hardware to accept the update. Support for all older models as new updates can add capability. We will see more frequent Firmware updates on many more cameras - as shown by continued support for the K-01, which I don't think Pentax would have.
10-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't forget Pentax has adopted Ricoh's Firmware update policy - regular updates to Firmware for all models that have the necessary hardware to accept the update. Support for all older models as new updates can add capability. We will see more frequent Firmware updates on many more cameras - as shown by continued support for the K-01, which I don't think Pentax would have.
Hmm. Maybe, but I still see differences. Look at yesterday's GR firmware update. They were quite specific about what had been added and what had been improved. In the past, they even produced new pages of the manual as PDFs to explain the new features - not sure if they still do. With the updates to Pentax cameras, we still end up on the forum say "Has anybody noticed any changes?" So I think they still have some way to go to equal the Ricoh approach. But I do appreciate the continuous refinements they've been making to the K-01's AF. That is good practice, if not yet "best practice".
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FW 1.06 fixed a wonky battery issue caused by FW 1.05 on my K5IIs. What a relief!

Dale

10-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
FW 1.06 fixed a wonky battery issue caused by FW 1.05 on my K5IIs. What a relief!

Dale
I had no problems with 1.05, and also no issues with today's upgrade to 1.06 - everything is working fine. Just did a quick test, and the tilt flash overexposure issue seems to be fixed. Will run some more extensive tests tomorrow, but this seems hopeful.
10-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmm, like the update of the MX-1's firmware, which never came, and the year is almost closing.
Are they abandoning that camera?

Or the K-01 firmware update, which came after many months and gave the camera a mere starting point to be a functional piece of photographic equipment, after all. Both cameras came under Ricoh.

The story of their firmware updates across cameras is a colourful one, and really has no embedded pattern of a well designed approach.
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Hmm. Maybe, but I still see differences. Look at yesterday's GR firmware update. They were quite specific about what had been added and what had been improved. In the past, they even produced new pages of the manual as PDFs to explain the new features - not sure if they still do. With the updates to Pentax cameras, we still end up on the forum say "Has anybody noticed any changes?" So I think they still have some way to go to equal the Ricoh approach. But I do appreciate the continuous refinements they've been making to the K-01's AF. That is good practice, if not yet "best practice".
But the GR update changed functionality, it wasn't just a "make sure no focus shift occurs when using the LED af assist of the new flashes, and add HD Limiteds IDs in the internal database".
Pentax added functionality with new firmwares in the past, and this was explained - for example:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

10-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

There is definitely something wrong with HD Limiteds and older versions of firmware, see New HD DA Limited lenses.
10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I had no problems with 1.05, and also no issues with today's upgrade to 1.06 - everything is working fine. Just did a quick test, and the tilt flash overexposure issue seems to be fixed. Will run some more extensive tests tomorrow, but this seems hopeful.
I spoke too soon, unfortunately. Just did a series of tests, and tilt flash overexposure is still there - in my case about 1 stop overexposed if tilt flash indicator is showing on the flash LCD.
10-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Can anyone explain why the Pentax US website recommends v1.04 (Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging) while the Japan site offers v1.06 (http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_2_s.html)??

My new K-5 II came with v 1.0, which seemed to work, then I updated to 1.05 as soon as I had the chance, and now I'm using 1.06 and everything seems fine.
10-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virtualjsk Quote
Can anyone explain why the Pentax US website recommends v1.04 (Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging) while the Japan site offers v1.06 (http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_2_s.html)??
I'm sure they just haven't caught up yet.

Would be good to hear back from V1.06 upgraders after they had a chance to experience the firmware for a bit longer. Perhaps there are some unannounced but nevertheless useful improvements as well?
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

Using the camera today with v 1.06, and after powering down and changing lenses when I switched power back on rear display did not come on. I had to remove battery and then it seemed to fix itself. Seems like there might still be some stability issues.
10-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had to remove battery and then it seemed to fix itself. Seems like there might still be some stability issues.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

It shouldn't be the case, but it is possible that the camera ideally needs a hard reset once after a firmware update.

So if this remains a single occurrence then I'd chalk it up to inconsistencies between firmware expectations and actual camera values, and wouldn't regard that as a problem.

Let's hope your problem was a one-off issue.
10-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the camera today with v 1.06, and after powering down and changing lenses when I switched power back on rear display did not come on. I had to remove battery and then it seemed to fix itself. Seems like there might still be some stability issues.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I used my K5IIS yesterday for several hours and about a hundred shots with both the 50-135 and 16-50 with no problems at all. Hopefully yours was a one shot deal.
10-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sorry to hear about your problem. I used my K5IIS yesterday for several hours and about a hundred shots with both the 50-135 and 16-50 with no problems at all. Hopefully yours was a one shot deal.
Have done two shoots with 1.06 - camera is reliable. But (and no real science to this) i wasn't over the moon about focus in first shoot post upgrading firmware. Not disasterous but probably worst in terms of focus. Have only considered fine adjustment of one out four lens was necessary in past. I spent some solid time adjust all four lens and all now need adjustment between +3 and +5. Most recent shot was crisp again.

I say un scientific because i hadn't spent serious effort (or felt the need to) with v 1.0, 1.04, and 1.05.