Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Waratah Quote
Have done two shoots with 1.06 - camera is reliable. But (and no real science to this) i wasn't over the moon about focus in first shoot post upgrading firmware. Not disasterous but probably worst in terms of focus. Have only considered fine adjustment of one out four lens was necessary in past. I spent some solid time adjust all four lens and all now need adjustment between +3 and +5. Most recent shot was crisp again.

I say un scientific because i hadn't spent serious effort (or felt the need to) with v 1.0, 1.04, and 1.05.
I took my K-5 II with 1.6 out yesterday with my "new" FA 50mm 1.4, and I'm not crazy about the results. It had difficulty focusing on a church steeple that was about 500 yards away in broad daylight. Not sure if this is a problem with the firmware, the lens, or the operator!

I also seem to get more purple fringing with this setup than I was getting with my old K-5 and kit lens. Shooting raw and reviewing in LR3. Again, new camera, new lens, and new firmware, so I can't say for sure what causes the problems.

Thinking about going back to 1.5.

10-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virtualjsk Quote
I took my K-5 II with 1.6 out yesterday with my "new" FA 50mm 1.4, and I'm not crazy about the results. It had difficulty focusing on a church steeple that was about 500 yards away in broad daylight. Not sure if this is a problem with the firmware, the lens, or the operator!

I also seem to get more purple fringing with this setup than I was getting with my old K-5 and kit lens. Shooting raw and reviewing in LR3. Again, new camera, new lens, and new firmware, so I can't say for sure what causes the problems.

Thinking about going back to 1.5.
You seem to have too many new variables there to make as conclusion...

FA 50 does have a fair amount of fringing, just try the lens with your old K-5. It should behave similarly. The only sensor thast exhibits more pf than usual I think is the K10.

Not sure about the AF though.
10-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
You seem to have too many new variables there to make as conclusion...

FA 50 does have a fair amount of fringing, just try the lens with your old K-5. It should behave similarly. The only sensor thast exhibits more pf than usual I think is the K10.

Not sure about the AF though.
Yep and the FA50/1.4 isn't exactly a top sharpest lens wide open (which is used for AF) so that's normal nad it has a looooong focus throw.
And it is nowhere near optimized for digital so fringing is to be expected.
10-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Would be good to hear back from V1.06 upgraders after they had a chance to experience the firmware for a bit longer. Perhaps there are some unannounced but nevertheless useful improvements as well?
I spend a lot of time in the field photographing wildlife and use the O-GPS1 to keep track of my photo setting locations. I did not encounter any issues with V1.05.

When V1.06 was announced, I installed it. Since then, I've noticed that the calibration procedure between my O-GPS1 and K5-IIs seems to occur much faster. It only takes one manipulation of the kit along one axis for positioning confirmation and lock. Before, it took several manipulations along the three axis get the same.

All else seems to be going well, too... no problems.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 10-16-2013 at 07:00 PM.
10-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FW 1.06 solved the battery issue I had for 3 weeks aftering downloading FW 1.05 for my K5IIs. Perfect timing as I have a wedding in 2 weeks.

Dale
10-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I had no problems with 1.05, and also no issues with today's upgrade to 1.06 - everything is working fine. Just did a quick test, and the tilt flash overexposure issue seems to be fixed. Will run some more extensive tests tomorrow, but this seems hopeful.
Any new info on the tilt flash issue?
10-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will it fix my instability?

10-17-2013, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Will it fix my instability?
Depends, do you overexpose when you tilt?
10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep and the FA50/1.4 isn't exactly a top sharpest lens wide open (which is used for AF) so that's normal nad it has a looooong focus throw.
And it is nowhere near optimized for digital so fringing is to be expected.
Sorry that I quote myself

I'd add that the DA50/1.8 ( and M/A/FA 50/1.7) is sharper wide open than the /1.4.
Even though I lost a bit of light compared to the 1.4, the result was sharper.
I wouldn't say sharp, because, well.. wide open in a very bad lighting situation and Pentax AF (sorry Pentax) will generate quite a bit of 'not very sharp pictures' but still, difference was noticeable.
10-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends, do you overexpose when you tilt?
Invariably.
10-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks to everyone for the advice! Just got my sanity back.
Just to add to the thread hopefully with some additional observations.
Pre-ordered and purchased my K-5-IIs last Fall. With it, the optional battery grip was also ordered and received. The camera has been wonderful and the overall functionality superb.
Relying on Pentax, have always done the firmware updates. Did not know about 1.06 until reading this thread but had 1.05 installed.
Yesterday, at an outing the camera came out of the bag and was (to quote) "dead as a brick". In preparation for the outing had charged both batteries and installed same and checked (formatted the card, etc) it the night before everything seemed fine. Luckily, had the old K-20 on standby. It was at this moment, the realization of how much improved the K-5 IIs was over this predecessor!
In an attempt to diagnose the problem (assuming one battery had "shorted" and drained the second overnight, stopped by the local camera store and purchased a new D-LI90 battery. When I put this in the camera, the screen lit but showed the battery in a low charge range. The thought was shorted diagnosis had merit. Checked battery voltage; both batteries from the camera checked at 8.38, the new one in the low 7 volt range. Put the new battery on the charger, completed the cycle and reinstalled -- dead! For a few brief moments, thought the camera hardware had become a "battery eater" and my mind was racing about having to send the camera away for repairs and all the peripheral paranoia you could imagine.
Settling down and now really frustrated, remembered the battery grip came with and optional tray to use 6 "A" batteries. Put the batteries in it, installed it on the camera and life! Now, assuming the charger was the trouble because the tray batteries produced 9 volts and the LI's were only low 8's.
Thanks to the internet and this forum, you've saved my sanity. Using the battery grip with the "A" cells, downloaded the 1.06 firmware and we're back to life. You're a fantastic group!
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Thanks to everyone for the advice! Just got my sanity back... You're a fantastic group!
@AlwaysAI - such a pleasure to read posts like yours where the advice and info you read on PF helped solve a significant problem. There's a great spirit here at PF, which is chock full of good people who are only too cheerfully willing to help with useful advice.
10-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sorry that I quote myself

I'd add that the DA50/1.8 ( and M/A/FA 50/1.7) is sharper wide open than the /1.4.
Even though I lost a bit of light compared to the 1.4, the result was sharper.
I wouldn't say sharp, because, well.. wide open in a very bad lighting situation and Pentax AF (sorry Pentax) will generate quite a bit of 'not very sharp pictures' but still, difference was noticeable.
I don't think the FA50 is sharp wide open too, but on the K5IIs, it was sharp... probably your copy need focus adjustment?
10-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I don't think the FA50 is sharp wide open too, but on the K5IIs, it was sharp... probably your copy need focus adjustment?
Are you talking about the AF? or MP? I can't see how with a lower MP body it can be sharper than with a higher MP body.

Pentax's 1.7 / 1.8 designs are generally sharper than the 1.4s, but I slightly prefer the 1.4 renderings, even when used at f/2.

The 8 elements Super Tak is the exception to this rule though.
10-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Are you talking about the AF? or MP? I can't see how with a lower MP body it can be sharper than with a higher MP body.

Pentax's 1.7 / 1.8 designs are generally sharper than the 1.4s, but I slightly prefer the 1.4 renderings, even when used at f/2.

The 8 elements Super Tak is the exception to this rule though.
My FA50 is 'soft' with K5, but it is sharp with K5IIs - is what I am trying to say.