Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Awesome...

Been waiting for this this option for some time now.

It works great, Now I just have to wait for Capture 1 Pro to add th K10 to the list of supported cameras.

Actually I am not waiting for capture one anymore. Just setup automatic imports in Lightroom and itworks perfect.
This will be a huge change in the way I shoot in my studio.

Thanks
Doug

Last edited by slugtaco; 04-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.
04-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #62
wll
Veteran Member

This is very good news and one of the things I have been waiting for. I will download it tonight and test it out withing the week.

wll
04-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #63
Veteran Member

K10D Firmware now available at Pentax USA site

.... along with Remote Assistant 3.
Pentax Imaging
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Hmmm...
No K100D or Mac support for remote assistant. Drats!
As far as I know the K100D was never intended to be included as a supported camera for the Remote Assistant. The Mac version is listed as coming. It seems there was some limited function with the earlier version of RA and the Ds, maybe that's true with the K100D too?

I can live with coming later especially if it means they address some of the obvious bugs at the same time. I don't want Remote Assistant now if it is buggy. I won't use it if it is as annoying as I am lead to believe after reading Mr. Huge Sig - codiac2600's posts. So let them address some of it while getting the Mac version ready for me. Just so long as coming doesn't mean next winter.

04-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Well i just downloaded the patch and software and had a go at using Remote assistant. Worked beuts till about 5 or 6 shots in then the software started to hang while downloading the shot :ugh: anyone else?

Oh and the new release capture one is now out with support for the K10d and K100d.
04-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #66
Veteran Member

In case anyone was wondering, this new firmware does not appear to address the stop-down metering issues with pre-A lenses.

With the camera in manual, I've runs some tests to compare exposures with the lens in A-mode and in non-A (ie using aperture ring to set the aperture, and the green button to set the exposure using stop-down metering).

The test conditions each time are:

- consistent lighting
- ISO 400
- viewfinder covered
- body set to Manual
- measure exposure in A mode by setting aperture on body and pressing green button to set exposure
- measure exposure in non-A mode by setting aperture on lens and pressing green button to stop-down meter and set exposure

Here's a typical example at 28mm, 80mm (Pentax SMC-A 28-80) and 50mm (Pentax SMC-A 50mm): note the progressive overexposure as you stop down. Note also the lack of reciprocity in the exposures as you stop down using the aperture ring. I've run similar tests with other A-series and M-series lenses with each release of the firmware, and there's not much change each time.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisA; 04-28-2007 at 02:35 AM.
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #67
Veteran Member

K10D Firmware 1.20 Supports SDM

I received my new DA 21mm lens yesterday. (A very nice lens that works perfectly, BTW.) Inside the box was a brand new version of the smc Pentax-DA Interchangable Lens Operating Manual. It is version 57298ENG, copyright 2007.

The Manual includes instructions for the DA* lenses. It states: "When using lenses equipped [sic] with a supersonic motor on the K10D, use firmware version 1.20 or later. Previous firmware versions will use the motor in the camera and not the motor in the lens to operate the AF." That's on page 8 of the Manual.

So I think it's pretty clear that firmware version 1.20 includes the awaited support for SDM. I thought forum members would find this news interesting.

Last edited by GaryML; 05-04-2007 at 05:12 PM.
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #68
Veteran Member

So, why Pentax hasn't included this in the firmware revision history of the version 1.2? Forgotten?

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I received my new DA 21mm lens yesterday. (A very nice lens that works perfectly, BTW.) Inside the box was a brand new version of the smc Pentax-DA Interchangable Lens Operating Manual. It is version 57298ENG, copyright 2007.

The Manual includes instructions for the DA* lenses. It states: "When using lenses equipped [sic] with a supersonic motor on the K10D, use firmware version 1.20 or later. Previous firmware versions will use the motor in the camera and not the motor in the lens to operate the AF." That's on page 8 of the Manual.

So I think it's pretty clear that firmware version 1.20 includes the awaited support for SDM. I thought forum members would find this news interesting.

05-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, why Pentax hasn't included this in the firmware revision history of the version 1.2? Forgotten?
I don't know: it didn't explain that in the Manual. But since the first lenses with SDM won't be released for several months, and there is a possibility of some tweaking with the electronics in the lens and the firmware, they may simply wait until the lenses are released and then recommend that you get the latest firmware.

Also note that the original release date for the first DA* lenses was in May, 2007, so I would expect that Pentax would plan on releasing the supporting firmware around now.
05-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Yeah, they intentionally forgot it. Happy now?

Someone's tainting the waters again.

Seriously, why not just pack your bags and go do some technical writing for another camera company where they work the way you want them to?

Personally, it's great that Pentax tries to pack in as much functionality with each firmware update, and it's good to know that SDM functionality is now available with the new firmware update.
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #71
Veteran Member

May not be true.

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
But this manual was printed before the announcement of the DA* delay. In the press release for the DA* delay in Japan, they also mentioned that the SDM compatible K10D firmware would also be delayed until the launch of the lenses.
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Because it really was not included.
Check my post above.
05-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But this manual was printed before the announcement of the DA* delay. In the press release for the DA* delay in Japan, they also mentioned that the SDM compatible K10D firmware would also be delayed until the launch of the lenses.
I am merely sharing what the Lens Manual stated. I have no way to confirm or deny the statement in the Manual, as I haven't attempted to test the firmware with a SDM lens nor have I decompiled the firmware program and examined the code. I'm sure that when the SDM lenses are released, the appropriate firmware support will be available.
05-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #74
Forum Member

FWIW - my guess is that v1.2 has got the lens support - however it is pointless publicising this so it joins all the other invisible fixes found in any firmware update.

It would be silly to invalidate all the manuals printed now by leaving out an undetectable feature of the firmware

Rod
05-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I've read SDM does not work with firmware 1.2.
People have tested this on photo shows.