Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10d Firmware Update

There will be a firmware update for the K10D coming in the next couple of weeks on the Pentax website that will address remote flash functions. Right now, you would have to use 2 flash systems, one mounted on the camera and then your 2nd remote flash. With the update, the camera will send the signal to the remote.

01-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speculation, crystal ball, insider info?
01-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See here, John: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/2385-pentax-tech-board.html#post18749

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

From dpreview:

"Thank you for using a PENTAX K10D digital camera.

PENTAX wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.10 for K10D.
Firmware in this document is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Changes to V1.10
The following function has been added in version 1.10
1. Wireless control of external flash through built-in flash.
2. Instantly return to centre AF point by one push of button in AF select mode.
3. Possible to change ISO setting by dial at TV/AV mode.

4. ISO setting change by dial while the ISO setting is being displayed on the LCD by pushing OK button.
5. Green button function in M mode is available at TAv mode (Hyper manual).
6. AV and TV switch by dial at P mode.

7. Instant return to the default value by green button at strobe light compensation.
The following contents have been corrected.
1. In rare case, vertical stripe at long time exposure.
2. Released “B exposure” and show battery empty sign when using B mode. "

(3) and (4) rule!

01-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool! Checked his gallery-nice he shoots too!
01-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Unbelievable!

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
From dpreview:

PENTAX wishes to announce the release of Firmware Update Software Version 1.10 for K10D.

Changes to V1.10

4. ISO setting change by dial while the ISO setting is being displayed on the LCD by pushing OK button.

7. Instant return to the default value by green button at strobe light compensation.

(3) and (4) rule!

If that list is true - WAY TO GO PENTAX!

It certainly proves that they read our forum (and/or that 'other' forum!). But I guess we already knew that!

(1), (3), and (4) are incredible.
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

New firmware is out (unoficcially)

New firmware for K10D leaked. Croatian Pentax representative sent out firmware to one K10D owner and he didn't mind sharing firmware with dpreview forum readers

Everything what's on feature list of new firmware is true.

One brave K10D user from Lithuania (Martynas_DS) flashed leaked firmware and according to him it works like a charm

Firmware for K10D IS here...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Download link

1.10 Firmware for K10D download link: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Posted it for download too; grabbed a copy and unzipped. Looks official enough. Two pages of instructions in Word format, a rich text install directions file and the binary. Charging batteries.
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've downloaded it too and installed it...works perfectly fine. The extras are there. I think the offical date will be Tuesday...or so part of the doc says.

Name PENTAX Firmware Update Software for K10D
Registered name K10v110w.exe ( For Windows Kbytes) , k10v110m.hqx ( For Mac Kbytes)
Applied product
K10D ( Version 1.00)
To check the version number, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. The version number will appear in the center of the LCD screen.
Updated firmware file For Windows : LHA self-extract file, For Mac : BinHex type
Release date 2007/1/23
Copy right PENTAX Corporation
01-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please help me with some translations

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
From dpreview:

Changes to V1.10

(3) and (4) rule!
a) I assume (3) means you'll be able to use one of the e-dials to change iso rather than delve into the Fn menu.

b) What is (4) saying that (3) doesn't?

c) I assume in that (5) means in TAv mode, a push of the green button will produce a programmed exposure.

d) My question about (6) is "huh?".

Thanks,

Jerry*

*One of the things that make it nice to be a smugly well-adjusted older guy is that you're not afraid to ask questions that might make you look stupid. In fact, my wife says I'm better at looking stupid than at anything else I do.
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i dot that pre pre-release of the firmware....# 6 just lets you swap the e-dials in p mode (ie, if you prefer having AV controls in the front as opposed to the rear)

QuoteQuote:
⑥ AV and TV switch by dial at P mode.

The item No.2 is added to the [e-dial in Program] in Custom menu.
With this change, Av can change by front dial and Tv can change by rear dial.
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I see the wireless flash function with the onboard unit. Anyone know if this will work with the Sigma 500 Super? or is it just Pentax flashes
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I see the wireless flash function with the onboard unit. Anyone know if this will work with the Sigma 500 Super? or is it just Pentax flashes
This one indeed looks legit, but I'll wait with updating until they come out with the official release.

If the sigma flash itself has the wireless function, things may work. You should experiment around a bit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

But they completely ignored the larger issue of color pattern noise, (also looking like banding), the HyperProgram & Auto ISO bug, and now that the new (UK) Digital SLR User has an eight page head-to-head between the Samsung GX-10 & K10D, and they comment:

'The Samsung delivers consistently cleaner results (at all ISO) demonstrating a slightly different approach to NR. The results from the D80 lie between the two.'

It appears from the article that there is more to the image processing then just noise reduction.

The possibility then exists with this processor set-up - to tweak this in firmware, - another thing Pentax is either blissfully ignoring and the K10D can have the option of cleaner JPGs than the D80 to further knock the competition, or are they are updating the firmware in stages and eventually also with the possibly of higher bit raw files.

Another thing ignored is that the K10D compresses Raw files to jpeg to approx 2.2mb at HIGHEST quality, while others like Canon/Nikon compress to about 3.3mb. That's a tweak that would improve quality - or at least the option to choose a less compressed jpeg. I guess this might screw up the all important 3.1 frames per second as nobody is able to choose the decisive moment anymore.

Last edited by mutley; 01-18-2007 at 10:47 PM.