Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #241

I presume brand value and recognition of Pentax is more than Ricoh. The company should stick and continue with the brand of "Pentax". Nearly 100 years of habit will disappear with the egocentric approach of Ricoh on naming. Pentax users get used to this brand. Even they called themselves as "Pentaxians". Accumulated information on Pentax Forums. What a big mistake to spoil this synergy of years. Changes in technology or style is greatly appreciated. But change on naming, what a useless pursuit. Instead, Ricoh should consider to add swivel screen or better video recording with continuous AF like the competitors. Be innovative.

10-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, I would rather see photos produced by the camera than photos of the camera itself. Hard to comment on usability or image quality, just based on what we see here.
10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #243
Veteran Member

I may be incorrect, but that big-ass name on the front still says Pentax. Could be that I'm blind though.
10-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
OK, i get that more metal equals better connection, thus less resistance...but really, I-everything uses a tiny jack, and the quality of the sound is astounding...

must be something more
Ruggedness. The 1/4" jack is much more robust than a mini-jack. This is especially true if the headphone has a 1/4" jack. A 1/4" to mini adapter is still solid, mini to 1/4" is physically weak. Pro audio gear uses 1/4" jacks, not 1/8"

10-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I may be incorrect, but that big-ass name on the front still says Pentax. Could be that I'm blind though.
If Ricoh Imaging were to launch a product with 1000 Pentax labels and a single Ricoh one, people would go on complaining how Ricoh is phasing out the Pentax brand; after all, it is (in their opinion) only a matter of time until the other 1000 Pentax labels are replaced as well.
10-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, I would rather see photos produced by the camera than photos of the camera itself. Hard to comment on usability or image quality, just based on what we see here.
Indeed. We have learned a couple of things; indications that the video functions are reasonably complete, the dual slots. It is slightly bigger than the K5, not much. Past that we are just wondering.

I was thinking yesterday what this friday would bring up. Last friday was the shot from the front with the bump, now we have shots of everything but the bottom and the right side. This will create a good buzz for a couple of days. Then the lens.

Is this Ricoh dribbling out details as part of their marketing campaign? If so, very well done.
10-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Perhaps...just perhaps, Ricoh is proud of this product and want their name on it where it can be seen. As long as it says "Pentax" on the front in big friendly letters, I'm OK with it. After all, that's what people notice.

10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #248

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Interesting. I presume the LCD panel is close to that of Nikon D7100: 8cm (3,2"), VGA (640 x 480 x 4 = 1,228,800 dots).
I hope more (better).
The LCD screen from the Ricoh GR is a 3" with over 1.2M dots,
This new one 3.2" LCD should have more than 1.2M dots.
10-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Same here, european shops aren`t very good in recalculations, they just convert $$$ to €€€ like allways...
Actually, now when I think about it... It can be even 1399 at launch. I hope it is closer to 1300.
10-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Cynog Ap Brychan:
I would be proud too, if my company would make such a product!
Let them be proud, I'm OK with a small Ricoh on the back and a big PENTAX on the front After all, they saved Pentax from Hoya.
10-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We are finally seeing the fruits of the Ricoh-Pentax acquisition. The K-3 is gorgeous, and I will get one as soon as I have the money for it. Ricoh thoroughly re-engineered the camera, delivering almost everything we Pentaxians wanted.

--DragonLord
10-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes but where is the direct print button?
10-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Ruggedness. The 1/4" jack is much more robust than a mini-jack. This is especially true if the headphone has a 1/4" jack. A 1/4" to mini adapter is still solid, mini to 1/4" is physically weak. Pro audio gear uses 1/4" jacks, not 1/8"
Ruggedness seems to be Pentax MO. it wouldn't surprise me if that is the sole reason for the jill being so large, and larger, more rugged than would be offered by others.

"Pentax 'No compromises' "

sounds almost like advertising... hush my mouth...
10-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Why not? There's plenty of material for them to research and take apart, including the competitor's own camera to rip apart.

They may not achieve "pro" status here and they may not want to since that involves a services arm to deploy that they may not want to. But, I don't think Lumix has one. I don't know. Still, they can achieve "holy ****, that's awfully darn good!" and every video artist in the world will want one of these.
Canon had to develop a new sensor, that only they seem to have access to, for the 70D to give it that incredible video AF. I'm not aware of anyone else who could provide Pentax with a sensor that has this tech. Now IF Pentax offers video raw and 4K (or at least one of these things), then yeah, I think unless they really screw up the rest that's it, it will be hot. But I simply doubt they can pull that off, or are even willing to. The CPU they use in the K-3 won't be able to do it, that one maxes out at 1080p. So they might need some additional, costly hardware.

@wizofoz: Please take your K-5, and look at the microphone port. Can we agree that it looks pretty much identical to the photo of the side of the K-3? There is the small den't downwards, the size of the cover in relation to the mount for the neckstrap looks the same, the size of the cover in relation to the actual port looks the same.

Now, look at the headphone port. The bump itself looks like it could accomodate a 1/4" jack, yes. But the actual hole? Have you looked at the photo from the side that was posted in the first posting of this thread? It shows both ports uncovered, and it looks minimally larger than the hole for the microphone. The keyword is MINIMALLY. It could be an optical illusion, it could be the difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm. But from 3.5 to 6.3?! It would have to be TWICE the size. And sorry, but no way is it twice the size. So I think Pentax reduced the size of the microphone port to 2.5mm, and added a 3.5mm one for the headphone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Yes but where is the direct print button?
Hahahahahahaha.
10-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #255
Veteran Member

Camera looks great. All I care about is auto-focus. If it's faster / more accurate / less fiddly / actually can track moving things, I may sell my k5ii for one. Otherwise I'm a happy camper already.

As long as the video stuff can be totally ignored and it doesn't degrade the experience of still shooting I have no problem with them beefing it up. Lots of people buy DSLRs purely for video. It makes sense to court those people. How many video cameras are weather sealed?