Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Actually, now when I think about it... It can be even 1399 at launch. I hope it is closer to 1300.
This camera will probably cost $1699 in OZ

10-05-2013, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Headphone jack is promising. Lets hope for a robust codec, good color depth, and over cranking! I don't care about still photos.
10-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #318
Veteran Member

I notice (due to the moving of video modes to Live View buttons) that there is now no Video Mode on the Mode Dial.
10-05-2013, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #319

Those of you who are complaining about the Ricoh logo on the camera, or just Ricoh in general, really need to open your minds as to what this actually means.

1. Ricoh is a successful company with money and experience behind them. They have a strong line of compact cameras. What they don't offer is mid to high end DSLRs. Now with the purchase of Pentax, Ricoh has the ability to enter that market with an already known camera and lens lineup. Ricoh is going to feed the Pentax DSLR range because they know how good it is.

2. Ricoh WILL NOT fade out Pentax. They are not stupid enough to remove a brand name known around the world for one thing: top quality DSLRs and optics.

3. Pentax DSLRs now have the funding and technology of TWO camera manufacturers behind them. Ricoh can take the best they have (high res screens, focus peaking, etc) and combine that with already proven Pentax gear. That is why the K3 looks just like the K5: Ricoh knows how good of a camera it is and wants to make it better: not worse.

10-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #320
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
3. Pentax DSLRs now have the funding and technology of TWO camera manufacturers behind them.
Two companies are funding them?

How?
10-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Pentax is simply the K-mount and has been for decades. There's little left. So to hate Ricoh all of a sudden, who seems to be showing initiative, in small ways, is laughable. If anything, Ricoh hasn't even been given a chance yet to fail or prosper with the brand, which is why they should really not care for the old stalwarts of the old era.

They will hate everything and not buy anything. New customers are where it's at.
Fortunately we're not all like this; I'd rather say, it's only a vocal minority - many being ex-Pentax users. I doubt they would feel anything if those would simply leave and forget about the brand; probably the effect would be positive.

Could it be that this vocal minority is feeling threatened by the K-3, because it shows Ricoh's commitment and successful execution, contrary to their convictions, and that's why the sudden burst of negativism?
10-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #322
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Similar here, perhaps, just under £1000 ukp. I'd guess that the upper limited may be fixed by the Canon 7D and the two cheaper FF models. If it's over the psychological £999 mark here, they'll be going bold although that's the kind of price or even slightly higher that the K5 started out at. So much depends on the full specs which of course we do not yet know.

10-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #323

for those estimating prices of the K-3:

Ricoh/Pentax can't be that stupid to set a price higher than its high volume sell competirors:

Nikon d7100 MSRP 1199
Canon 70d MSRP $1199

of course both cameras run for about $50-$70 less than that in popular online stores and are expected to continue to get lower by the time K-3 hits stores..

so why in the world do you think Pentax is going to price this camera more than $1199?
I mean, what can they possibly say/do that would make someone pay more than they would for the d7100 or 70d ? with their fame?

You can argue that lenses, pentax legacy, your current gear, etc... However, that has not stopped lots of people that have just moved to canikon. We all know that pentax has been lagging behind in many aspects like video, FF, etc etc.
The fact is that the K-3 is pretty much a d7100 in regarding to features (based on what we've seen from leaked specs) . We have been stranded in 16MP for a while now and we think that this will make the camera so much more expensive when in reality K-3 is just matching competitors, getting to their level. Dont expect this to cost more than a d7100 or 70d or I think they will have serious trouble getting them to sell

Last edited by jrcastillo; 10-05-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: fixing typo and adding extra line
10-05-2013, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #324
Pentaxian

The D7100 and the 70D are an inferior class. Don't just decide the K-3 is "pretty much D7100" before knowing what it actually is.
10-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
Those of you who are complaining about the Ricoh logo on the camera, or just Ricoh in general, really need to open your minds as to what this actually means.

1. Ricoh is a successful company with money and experience behind them. They have a strong line of compact cameras. What they don't offer is mid to high end DSLRs. Now with the purchase of Pentax, Ricoh has the ability to enter that market with an already known camera and lens lineup. Ricoh is going to feed the Pentax DSLR range because they know how good it is.

2. Ricoh WILL NOT fade out Pentax. They are not stupid enough to remove a brand name known around the world for one thing: top quality DSLRs and optics.

3. Pentax DSLRs now have the funding and technology of TWO camera manufacturers behind them. Ricoh can take the best they have (high res screens, focus peaking, etc) and combine that with already proven Pentax gear. That is why the K3 looks just like the K5: Ricoh knows how good of a camera it is and wants to make it better: not worse.
I'm fine with all you said here. I hope for the best with Ricoh owning Pentax. And I think new blood (and money ) will make Pentax better. However, looking at your history here I have noticed that you are very new member of the forum. Are you associated in any way with Ricoh/Pentax?
Let me explain. I see nothing wrong with it. Quite opposite, I'm looking for some signs that Ricoh/Pentax finally DO monitor PF and DPR/Pentax and DO want to talk to their crowd. So, if yes just hint it please
10-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That rather depends on the outlook for the Aussie dollar. It's been bumping around parity with the US currency for a while, and even the recent pre-election dip didn't last that long, but as long as we keep digging stuff out of the ground for the Chinese to turn into things to sell to the US, it'll probably stay that way. God help local manufacturing, of course, because no-one else will.

However, I recall buying the K-5 at around that price when it was released, when the AU dollar was a lot lower against the US one, so I would have expected the K-3 to be less than $1699 at launch.
10-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #327

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The D7100 and the 70D are an inferior class. Don't just decide the K-3 is "pretty much D7100" before knowing what it actually is.
In the case of the K-30, yes... is (for example) inferior than the d7100 but is clearly superior than the d5200.. Is like a class of its own if we compare across brands.

However, and to the best of my knowledge, d7100 and k-3 will be head to head. Or can you please enlighten me of how the d7100 is inferior class?
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a professional guitarist for 30 years and I only have 10 guitars

None are collectors items but working gtr's
My Guitars - a set on Flickr
Wow, some nice gear there Steve. Really like that Gibson 355(?)

What can I say? Disposable income + non grown boy (read middle aged crisis) = too much camera gear and guitars.

And back on topic, I too noticed that a 1/4' jack looked too long, and in the cold light of a Sunday morning, I agree it is very likely to be a 1/8" jack
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I notice (due to the moving of video modes to Live View buttons) that there is now no Video Mode on the Mode Dial.
So much for it being a video-centric camera…
10-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
for those estimating prices of the K-3:

Ricoh/Pentax can't be that stupid to set a price higher than its high volume sell competirors:

Nikon d7100 MSRP 1199
Canon 70d MSRP $1199
No but local markets do have differences. A 70D body costs €1069,- over here, at current exchange rate that would be $1453.