Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #361
Banned

Dual cards...HOORAY!!!

'Tis a good looking machine to be sure. I even like the silver/black bling option.

In all seriousness, if the boffins have nailed a few other areas (AF, flash synch, ISO noise control, IQ) this could be a world-beater at the rumoured price of $1,300.

I wonder if this is the 'professional APS-C' that was referred to earlier in the year...it is certainly shaping up to have the creds.

10-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #362
Veteran Member

DPR seems strangely silent about this camera. Do you think it likely they'll publish a hands on mini-review on the day of the announcement?
10-05-2013, 07:07 PM - 3 Likes   #363
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
So far I'm not to impressed !
So far I'm not too impressed with the not too impressed crowd.

But to each his own.
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Because you still pay for the Video functions.
Mass production doesn't work like that. In fact, I'd guess that the opposite is the case: having a broader feature set allows Ricoh/Pentax to reach a bigger market, and thereby reduce the overall cost per unit.

10-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It has a dedicated video/still lever and a red video button.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but having the controls separated still/video doesn't make it of no interest to a stills photographer, in fact it reinforces the emphasis on stills on the top plate of the camera.
10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #366
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is very likely that both DPReview and imaging Resource had K-3 already, because their are very silent about this.
10-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It is very likely that both DPReview and imaging Resource had K-3 already, because their are very silent about this.
It seems Adam has his hands on it too

10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Neither site gets involved at the rumour stage. They will announce the K-3 when it's announced by Ricoh.
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #369
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-5 already has a slightly better build quality, higher fps, and a much larger buffer than the D7100 (the Nikon is effectively crippled by that). The 70D doesn't have a 100% viewfinder and it's a polycarbonate body. Both the Canon and the Nikon are build to leave room for an upper-level APS-C camera.
The D7100 has a muchhhhhh better AF module (improved over the one from the D300), and a crop mode that covers the image w/ all the AF points. And I'd bet the D7100 has better video since we already know the K-3's processor can only do 1080/30p
I'd say it's a wash given what we know so far...I'd also agree it'd be stupid to price it above Nikon's D7100...
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
wow, that looks dodgy. I wouldn't trust them with my CC details.
I've purchased gear from eGlobal a number of times over the last few years without any problems whatsoever. They are one of the fastest for delivery, last thing I ordered (Sekonic light meter) arrived in 3 days.
I use PayPal, so they don't get my CC card details.
10-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #371
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm both with the "not impressed" and "impressed" crowds.

I'm excited on what I see on a physical front. There are a lot of added features here, and since I am personally getting more interested in video I'm seeing stuff I will use and I'm excited. But on the other hand, I still don't see numbers.

Here are things I'm hoping for:

a) improved flash system
b) improved flash sync speed
c) bigger/faster buffer (apparently hinted at via USB3 port)
d) brighter view finder
d) high speed video modes (highly unlikely)

At the end of the day I know I will be purchasing this camera as soon as possible.
10-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #372
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking that this camera is going to have a serious wallet-emptying capability. Pictures show some good stuff, rumored specifications allude to some good stuff. My hopes that Ricoh will deliver a totally worthy APS-C upgrade to the Pentax product line are way up at the moment . We'll see, eh?

Please note that I'm NOT an early adopter. Youse other guys are going to have to report back on the wonderful stuff, and the teething pains . I'm looking at maybe Christmas, and maybe Christmas 2014 vs 2013 .

Darn, no FF for my 3 amigos.
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #373
Veteran Member

Great news Pentax.
I have not come on this site for almost a year .
It's exciting what is coming. I have done many videos wth my K-5 and these were a lot better then a dedicated small video camera I use at the same time than my K-5.

Video is the future like digital camera were coming to replace argentic .

Ricoh don`t care to much about the actual Pentax user but all the potential new one. Probably 10% could leave Pentax but when you have less than 5 % market share , you are more interested in getting part of the other 95% you do not have
I guarantee you than Pentax K-3 will probably be on the front page of all Photo magazine in december and you know what , Christmas is not far after that.

Good job Ricoh and Pentax

PS If Adam was not commenting in the last few weeks , you should understand that big news was coming. Not the time to loose friends at Ricoh/ Pentax
10-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
I'm thinking that this camera is going to have a serious wallet-emptying capability. Pictures show some good stuff, rumored specifications allude to some good stuff. My hopes that Ricoh will deliver a totally worthy APS-C upgrade to the Pentax product line are way up at the moment . We'll see, eh?

Please note that I'm NOT an early adopter. Youse other guys are going to have to report back on the wonderful stuff, and the teething pains . I'm looking at maybe Christmas, and maybe Christmas 2014 vs 2013 .

Darn, no FF for my 3 amigos.
I'd wager that by christmas 2014 you can choose what size sensor will empty your wallet.
10-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaximus Quote
So far I'm not too impressed with the not too impressed crowd.

But to each his own.
If the K-3 isn't exciting someone else for whatever reason then why not be too impressed with them? Like you say "each to their own."

So far I'm a little underwhelmed with what's been leaked so far. The no doubt improved AF would be most welcome, but personally I want a new camera that improves upo nthe K-5 with a similar jump in Dynamic range/High ISO performance as the K-5 did over the K-20D/K-7. ain't gonna happen. The Nikon7100 doesn't so why should the K-3?. having said that I won't 100% judge until it's officially released

I also can't see why GPS isn't standard in a DSLR in 2013. I use a few years old Blackberry with a free GPD logging app at the moment and it works great, very little battery use. Sync up GPX files in Lightroom at end of shoot.

What about Wifi? Another feature that should be in DSLR's in 2013

I'm not bothered about 24MP in the slightest