Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The size of a headphone jack is absolutely NOTHING to do with signal to noise ratio.
Jokingly: Perhaps they expect the audio to go Radio Active (as in play on the radio ) and it's surrounded by lead shielding. (bad joke but who cares it's Sunday morning here?)

Seriously: I suspect they decided to add to the ergonomics and the audio jack offered an opportunity to move the component a little "off camera" so to speak.

10-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! At least it's not as big a problem as Ricoh's aperture control!

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Unfortunately, RICOH AF has a serious compatibility problem with Pentax AF reflex camera;s
10-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #363
Veteran Member

Dual cards...HOORAY!!!

'Tis a good looking machine to be sure. I even like the silver/black bling option.

In all seriousness, if the boffins have nailed a few other areas (AF, flash synch, ISO noise control, IQ) this could be a world-beater at the rumoured price of $1,300.

I wonder if this is the 'professional APS-C' that was referred to earlier in the year...it is certainly shaping up to have the creds.
10-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #364
Veteran Member

DPR seems strangely silent about this camera. Do you think it likely they'll publish a hands on mini-review on the day of the announcement?

10-05-2013, 07:07 PM - 3 Likes   #365
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
So far I'm not to impressed !
So far I'm not too impressed with the not too impressed crowd.

But to each his own.
10-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Because you still pay for the Video functions.
Mass production doesn't work like that. In fact, I'd guess that the opposite is the case: having a broader feature set allows Ricoh/Pentax to reach a bigger market, and thereby reduce the overall cost per unit.
10-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It has a dedicated video/still lever and a red video button.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but having the controls separated still/video doesn't make it of no interest to a stills photographer, in fact it reinforces the emphasis on stills on the top plate of the camera.
10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #368
Pentaxian

It is very likely that both DPReview and imaging Resource had K-3 already, because their are very silent about this.

10-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It is very likely that both DPReview and imaging Resource had K-3 already, because their are very silent about this.
It seems Adam has his hands on it too
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #370
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Neither site gets involved at the rumour stage. They will announce the K-3 when it's announced by Ricoh.
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #371
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-5 already has a slightly better build quality, higher fps, and a much larger buffer than the D7100 (the Nikon is effectively crippled by that). The 70D doesn't have a 100% viewfinder and it's a polycarbonate body. Both the Canon and the Nikon are build to leave room for an upper-level APS-C camera.
The D7100 has a muchhhhhh better AF module (improved over the one from the D300), and a crop mode that covers the image w/ all the AF points. And I'd bet the D7100 has better video since we already know the K-3's processor can only do 1080/30p
I'd say it's a wash given what we know so far...I'd also agree it'd be stupid to price it above Nikon's D7100...
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
wow, that looks dodgy. I wouldn't trust them with my CC details.
I've purchased gear from eGlobal a number of times over the last few years without any problems whatsoever. They are one of the fastest for delivery, last thing I ordered (Sekonic light meter) arrived in 3 days.
I use PayPal, so they don't get my CC card details.
10-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #373
Pentaxian

I'm both with the "not impressed" and "impressed" crowds.

I'm excited on what I see on a physical front. There are a lot of added features here, and since I am personally getting more interested in video I'm seeing stuff I will use and I'm excited. But on the other hand, I still don't see numbers.

Here are things I'm hoping for:

a) improved flash system
b) improved flash sync speed
c) bigger/faster buffer (apparently hinted at via USB3 port)
d) brighter view finder
d) high speed video modes (highly unlikely)

At the end of the day I know I will be purchasing this camera as soon as possible.
10-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #374
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking that this camera is going to have a serious wallet-emptying capability. Pictures show some good stuff, rumored specifications allude to some good stuff. My hopes that Ricoh will deliver a totally worthy APS-C upgrade to the Pentax product line are way up at the moment . We'll see, eh?

Please note that I'm NOT an early adopter. Youse other guys are going to have to report back on the wonderful stuff, and the teething pains . I'm looking at maybe Christmas, and maybe Christmas 2014 vs 2013 .

Darn, no FF for my 3 amigos.
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #375
Pentaxian

Great news Pentax.
I have not come on this site for almost a year .
It's exciting what is coming. I have done many videos wth my K-5 and these were a lot better then a dedicated small video camera I use at the same time than my K-5.

Video is the future like digital camera were coming to replace argentic .

Ricoh don`t care to much about the actual Pentax user but all the potential new one. Probably 10% could leave Pentax but when you have less than 5 % market share , you are more interested in getting part of the other 95% you do not have
I guarantee you than Pentax K-3 will probably be on the front page of all Photo magazine in december and you know what , Christmas is not far after that.

Good job Ricoh and Pentax

PS If Adam was not commenting in the last few weeks , you should understand that big news was coming. Not the time to loose friends at Ricoh/ Pentax