Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #481

well, i really do like the specs so far, and even as i said i wouldnt buy Pentax atm these specs might teach me lies.
One think i really would like to have would be full tethering. I might have a job on my hands which will be much more easy with remote control, so i really hope that the K-3 will provide..

10-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #482

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Video features will probably determine whether I buy this camera, to. Ultimately, I would like to see pentax institute features as good as the Magic Lantern software provides. Considering that Magic Lantern was written on an amateur basis, without a professional R&d budget, and works with 2008 technology, I don't think this is too much too ask.

The black magic pocket cinema camera is not an m/43 camera. At least the sensor is not. The sensor is Super 16 sized.
I'm in the same boat - I need another video camera no later than late February. If the K-3 fits the bill, I will not hesitate to pick one up. Otherwise, it's probably going to be the BMPCC.

I realize that it has a S16 sized sensor, but the mount is MFT. I still have a couple of MFT lenses that would work well on this camera though, so I'm not opposed to picking one up. I would rather have a simpler 1 or 2 body solution though (less chargers to haul around, less batteries, less lenses, etc), and I just can't bring myself to buy Canon DSLRs
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are times when a tilt screen would be very handy, such as low shots, with the camera close to the ground. I find the refconverter good for some of these, but not all, and there are also times when a tilt screen wouldn't help either (eg bright overhead sun). I bought a small LCD monitor with a hood for those occasions, but if, as has been indicated here, the K-3 comes with smart phone capability built in, that would be even better.
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #484
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been firmly in the anti-swivel LCD screen camp. Not for any particular reason, just because. But after a lot of reflection and a recent shoot where I did a lot of close to the ground macro I have changed my mind. I'm fine without it but I do think it would have uses for my photography. But if the same thing can be achieved via a smartphone app, that sounds like the best of both worlds.

Hoping this flucard thing really works and isn't just a dead-end gimmick.

Now we need a smartphone holder that mounts on the flash shoe......

10-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #485
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yet another complaint about the "missing" articulated screen ... ...
Rumours are still rumours until official news come out and, if this is so important to you, go and buy into another brand.

JP
The second time my post has suggested I go to another product for daring to mention an articulated screen. You do realise that this is a Camera forum specific to Pentax?

Last edited by Ash; 10-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
10-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #486
Veteran Member

All upper level cameras, except Olympus E-# series and EM-# have no variangle.

Many members have found that it is useful and I certainly would (wideangle shooting from overhead makes for great pictures). If Pentax can do it it will be great, however not a dealbreaker if not. Get the Canon or Olympus EM for that.
10-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #487
Veteran Member

Fingers crossed for wifi to phone liveview. That for me is far better than any tilt-vari-angle screen. Think this might be one of the more outlandish hopes though!

10-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #488
Inactive Account

So Ricoh puts in a headphone jack but still leaves the k-mount crippled!?

How much would a 'stop-down coupler' add to the costs? 1 -2 $$
10-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slice Of Light Quote
So Ricoh puts in a headphone jack but still leaves the k-mount crippled!?

How much would a 'stop-down coupler' add to the costs? 1 -2 $$
It cost them sales of lenses that would otherwise sell because people buy the M variants

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Neither Nikon nor Canon build a "full-frame" digital camera "the size of the 35mm film cameras they USED to build WAY back in the day to go with their old 35mm lenses". Modern full frame cameras are huge, many times larger than my old Olympus OM1 35mm film camera. Every electronic device these days is tiny compared to the size of the 1960s equivalent ... except for SLR full-frame cameras. Why is everyone so keen to lug around those monsters? APS-C still has a major role, and will for some years, at least till someone (Pentax?) can shrink FF to a more practical size. And the lenses ....; I love my tiny (APS-C only) DA Limiteds.
I do agree that we really need a digital ME super / Olympus OM... ME Super is by far my favourite camera body.

But in digital, APSC has a size advantage only when one of these is true:
lower end bodies are used
pancake lenses are used (pentax speciality)
moderate telephoto is used (50-150mm / 70-200 range) and DOF equivalency is not important
you use a MILC

Otherwise the size of 6D / d600 is very manageable. imo 1.5cm extra each side is a non issue if you use a good strap / holster
Compare camera dimensions side by side
10-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

... forgot to ask: which Pentax camera are you presently using?

JP
From Samsungian's profile:

QuoteQuote:
Photographic Equipment
Two Samsung GX-1S , Tamron 14mm 2.8, 50mm 2.8 SMC-A Macro, Two 105mm 2.5 Series 1 Macros, 80-320mm 4.5-5.6 FA , 300mm 2.8 TamronAdaptall,1.4x-L, 1.4x-S, 2x-S, 1.7x MF to AF, Copy Stand III & its Focus Rail, K Bellows, Both 3 piece manual & auto extension tube sets, 100mm auto ext tube, K Microscope adapter, K to RMS Microscope lens adapter, K-645 adapter, K-6x7 adapter, Most of the pentax dealer manuals and pricing sheets from 1974-2005
IOW: None
10-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #491
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Fingers crossed for wifi to phone liveview. That for me is far better than any tilt-vari-angle screen. Think this might be one of the more outlandish hopes though!
Be prepared for some significant lag as this thing shuffles data at 2 MBytes/s ...
10-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I do agree that we really need a digital ME super / Olympus OM... ME Super is by far my favourite camera body.

But in digital, APSC has a size advantage only when one of these is true:
lower end bodies are used
pancake lenses are used (pentax speciality)
moderate telephoto is used (50-150mm / 70-200 range)
you use a MILC

Otherwise the size of 6D / d600 is very manageable. imo 1.5cm extra each side is a non issue if you use a good strap / holster
I would guess that Pentax increased the size of the K-3 because it will share its body with a FF K-1.

It is possible that the K-5 line stays alive and the K-3 and K-1 will exist in a different body. We could see a K-5 Super with 24MP sensor and none of the AF and HD video improvements of the K-3.
10-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would guess that Pentax increased the size of the K-3 because it will share its body with a FF K-1.

It is possible that the K-5 line stays alive and the K-3 and K-1 will exist in a different body. We could see a K-5 Super with 24MP sensor and none of the AF and HD video improvements of the K-3.
That sounds great if they are planning to make K1 next year, saving money for K1 without having K3 from now is a good plan for me
10-06-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #494
Veteran Member

High hopes for video capabilities

There are two practical benefits to DSLR video:
- Generally better lower light performance than camcorders of similar price
- For still shooters, the ability to carry one device that does stills and video

And yet there are many reasons that DSLR video sucks:
- Shallow DOF, making real-life videography impractical for most users
- Until 70D, impractical autofocus (GH3 still hunts, A77 is abrupt)
- Generally worse image quality (moire and resolution)
- Poor ergonomics and user interface

I know I will get some flames for saying shallow DOF is a negative for video use. I've been following a lot of Phillip Bloom's stuff and I just don't buy it. I've never actually seen a normal feature-length movie that treats the viewer so dumb, by forcing him/her to: "Hey look over here at what's in focus! Now STOP and look over there at what is now in focus! And now look back over here, I've changed focus on you again, keep up with me man!"

Okay, as still photographers, we all get the shallow DOF thing, but it's just overhyped for video. Things move around in video, we really don't need f/0.95 to tell the subject apart from the background.

If you are an "aspiring filmmaker" or a real professional like Phillip Bloom, then you already know that DSLR video is for you. For me, I can just look back at the horrible out of focus home videos that I created which were wasted opportunities to use my camcorder. I'm talking about real life events, like school plays. I can't exactly stop the production and tell them "sorry, let's take that from the top, my focus was off." I know I am not alone, all my friends with their Nikons and Canons have given up on the DLSR video too. For you pros who are using your 5DMkII for professional wedding videos, more power to you. I happen to know plenty of professional videographers who shoot weddings ... using camcorders!

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that Pentax must improve its video capabilities, because it is a necessary feature just to compete in the marketplace. But for it to be practical, I have high hopes that it will have some really good focus peaking. Just ask my two K-01's in the closet. And by good focus peaking, I mean better than Sony's. Anyone here actually try a NEX? It's focus peaking algorithm works fine on stationary objects, but fades out on moving objects. And Sony's is considered among the best there is.

The reviews of the Canon 70D sensor-based phase detection AF looks to have what I would consider the first real practical AF capabilities. Smooth pulls, no distracting overshoot or hunting, which can happen with the Sony E- and A-series, as well as the GH3. This will finally bring DSLR video to the masses. Since this is very new technology, I don't expect the K-3 will have anything close, but we'll see. I will settle for some really good focus peaking.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth, I'm getting over a bad cold. Just to be clear, I am in the market for a prosumer video camera, so I'm ready to plunk down the dough for the K-3, or the 70D, or a G30, depending on how this all washes out.
10-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #495
Veteran Member

Re articulated screen, I think Ricoh could do worse than to look at what Pentax people shoot and actually do with their cams. I see a lot more Pentax people doing macro than doing video. I know you have to embrace new uses for cameras like video, but the occasional crumb for the people who already do use Pentax for macro wouldn't be such a terrible thing!