Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I can appreciate a well-executed rack focus as much as anyone, but (and I recognize this is subjective and contextual) it should be subtle, not a smack in the head, the way Phillip Bloom seems to suggest through his examples. And while all aspiring filmmakers should use DSLRs, that doesn't mean that all DSLR users need to be aspiring filmmakers.
Iagree, but why should pentax give away market share by not addressing people who do use video? Again, if Magic Lantern can do it, Ricoh can, too.

10-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #512
Veteran Member

I wasn't suggesting that -- rather, I totally agree that Pentax should improve their video capabilities. Because a lot of users (enthusiasts or not) won't buy an expensive camera unless it can do video. But this should be backed up by real usability improvements -- after all there is a lot of opportunity to make DSLR video more viable.

Otherwise, a lot of DLSR users are going to remain dissatisfied with the current state, and will realize (like me) that their video needs are best met by a camcorder. Or, a 70D.
10-06-2013, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #513
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I can appreciate a well-executed rack focus as much as anyone
There is a joke there
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #514
Veteran Member

Yeah, you get what I'm sayin.

10-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #515

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You also need lenses with stepper motors to smoothly and silently focus in video mode.
Mistral75 .So do you have to use special lens that has what your talking about in the lens and a built in motor in the lens for video to make your Camera work right as a video camera to get auto focusing as good as regular video devices.
10-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #516
Veteran Member

So what do you think is on the card slot side of the camera (besides 2 card slots) that we've been prevented from seeing?

Last edited by bossa; 10-06-2013 at 10:41 PM.
10-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think just the card slots and the remote plug. Not sure what else could go there anyway.

10-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think there are some lenses that should be coming out. I hope Pentax has some surprises left.
There are 5 items (4 lenses and a teleconverter) on the K-series roadmap, and 2 lenses on the Q-series roadmap. And not even a hint of a rumour that they are about to be announced! No images, no leaked specifications, nothing.

These roadmaps were both re-issued earlier this year, (the date in the K PDF is August, and the date in the Q PDF is May). I don't believe that Ricoh/Pentax would re-issue them unless they were serious. I'm still hoping to see some or all of those this year. It would exceed my expectations to see them this week.
10-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #519
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
A lever to switch between stills and video? What a waste... Seems there´s a red "rec" button that doubles as Liveview button also. A lot of dedicated buttons for video. And the AF / MF lever looses one position so that choices and the focus point will be done through the "Focus Mode" button? I hope you can do them without having the main LCD on...
The *istD shows which focus point you´ve selected in the viewfinder... The K-5 doesn´t.
Maybe it means that it is possible to go from any mode (portrait, sports, landscape) to video mode, keeping the settings? Maybe it also means that Pentax has finally added more manual control (ISO, shutter speed) to video. I will switch to K-3 if they have (when it is out). I like to use my Pentax for photography and video. I think it is great for both. More manual control over video settings would be even greater.
10-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #520
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
Maybe it means that it is possible to go from any mode (portrait, sports, landscape) to video mode, keeping the settings? Maybe it also means that Pentax has finally added more manual control (ISO, shutter speed) to video. I will switch to K-3 if they have (when it is out). I like to use my Pentax for photography and video. I think it is great for both. More manual control over video settings would be even greater.
It does (and so do the K-50 / K-500).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #521
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It does (and so do the K-50 / K-500).
oh wow that is great when is the k-3 released, is it known? I bought my k-5 not long ago... maybe I have to switch right away?
10-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #522
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
oh wow that is great when is the k-3 released, is it known? I bought my k-5 not long ago... maybe I have to switch right away?
Well, the K-5 is three years old now

We'll have all the info about the K-3 on our homepage once the official announcement goes live.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #523
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, the K-5 is three years old now

We'll have all the info about the K-3 on our homepage once the official announcement goes live.
Yes, i just read it will be announced tomorrow (8th) hopefully it will be announced in the morning! 15-16 hours to go... *excited* I bought the K-5 because I decided the K5II wasn't worth the extra money to me But if I had the choice between k-5 and k-3... 16 and 24MP, better video, and who knows how many things better...
10-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #524
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pre-announcement email from Pentax Australia:Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381138098.534392.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  176.4 KB
10-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #525
Pentaxian

In my part of the world the 8th of october is on a tuesday