Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #586
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A little premature to be so definitive? The Pentax tracking system is colour sensitive, which should be an advantage. The real test will be in actual hits on a moving target, not on some Nikon lore. It will be interesting to see FNAC Lab results.
True...past results from SAFOX "AFC improvements" were used to extrapolate the odds. I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but it'd be like winning the lottery if you get what I mean

The Canikon high end AF systems rely on a lot of focus points (51 in Nikon's case, 61 in Canon's). Pentax has half which doesn't bode well IMHO, but we'll see...

10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The Canikon high end AF systems rely on a lot of focus points (51 in Nikon's case, 61 in Canon's). Pentax has half which doesn't bode well IMHO, but we'll see...
I'm hoping it's not solely dependent on just the number of focus points. The Nikon D800 has 51 and I do get a bit better hit rate vis-à-vis my K-5, but it's certainly nowhere near twice as good. On the other hand, the D800 has 15 cross-type sensors, and the K-3 has 25: I'm hoping this will bridge the gap somewhat, but may be more to do with accuracy, rather than speed.
10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I don't see them scratching out the "Asahi" from their old Spotmatics.
Or from K bodies or MX (see my KX in my Avatoar). IMHO the decline of Pentax started around the time they eliminated Asahi from the prism covers (though the LX interchangeable viewfinders didn't seem to have Asahi on them).
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #589
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
True...past results from SAFOX "AFC improvements" were used to extrapolate the odds. I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but it'd be like winning the lottery if you get what I mean

If Pentax have been clever, they may have designed the new focusing system as modular, increasing or decreasing the number of focus points and their level of interaction depending on the camera and its place in the market. Thus we may see future Pentax cameras with more focusing points (and/or beefier AF electronics) because they are truly professional level and/or a well-specced FF. The K3 is great to have but one swallow doesn't make a summer and I'd guess that Pentax see it as the enthusiast, semi-professional entry in a range which, in 12-18 months' time, will extend a lot further than that in either direction - if Ricoh mean what they say about becoming a force to be reckoned with in the photography biz.

10-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm hoping it's not solely dependent on just the number of focus points. The Nikon D800 has 51 and I do get a bit better hit rate vis-à-vis my K-5, but it's certainly nowhere near twice as good. On the other hand, the D800 has 15 cross-type sensors, and the K-3 has 25: I'm hoping this will bridge the gap somewhat, but may be more to do with accuracy, rather than speed.
I think the extra focus points allow it to draw a better predictive path for AF-C. Try drawing a curved path using a 5x5 array and then repeat it w/ a 7x7 array on graph paper. The 7x7 array will let you do smoother lines. If you had enough processing speed, the PanOly approach of an AF point per pixel would work best, but I think they're hitting processing speed limitations.

I'm hoping the extra cross sensors on the K-3 will finally fix the "those are the fattest AF points in the industry and are wayyyyyy bigger than what shows up in the viewfinder so it keeps focusing on high contrast backgrounds when you try doing narrow DOF" issue, but coding predictive AFC is hard and even on Canikon systems, you have something crazy like 10 settings to give it hints for optimal performance IIRC...
10-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #591
Veteran Member

The Canon 7D has a rep for pretty good tracking, and the spec seems paltry compared to the K-3.
19-point all cross-type AF (f/2.8 at centre: Dual Cross Sensor)

Safox 11:
27-point autofocus sensor, 25 cross-types, 3 center points @ f/2.8

The D7100 has a higher number of less sophisticated AF points:
51 focus points (including 15 cross-type sensors; the center point is available at apertures slower than f/5.6 and faster than f/8 or at f/8)

Of course there's no argument about Pentax AF low light superiority.
10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #592
Pentaxian

Who has bigger is the best!

Now let's talk about cameras. I really would prefer auto focus with few focus points but really good ones, than many with not so good, an some with good. And I also like philosophy of doing things with more time, and do it great. Some bigger brands tend to rely in numbers especially with consumer range equipments. And just puts newest things and say, that is great. Now pentax has done egineering with same components, and took it on different level. I'm really interested of seeing their AF system in action with new metering and 24 MP sensor(wich has been almost on same level as K-5IIs...with Nikon).

10-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #593
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I've seen at least 4 people here state that they "hate" Ricoh for "killing the Pentax brand" by renaming their company back to Ricoh and daring to put their name on the new cameras they have produced. Heck, they have even acted like the sky was falling because the rings on the new lenses are red rather than the green that was introduced long after the Pentax brand had any real cachet in the market.

Of course the morons don't realize that between 1919 and 2002, there was no Pentax brand - the company was called Asahi and produced a line of cameras called "Pentax," just like Ricoh does now. I don't see them scratching out the "Asahi" from their old Spotmatics. And in other countries, of course, the Pentax name and products were licensed to companies like Honeywell/Heiland.
I don't know about that.

I bought a new Asahi Pentax S1a in '68 and a new '74 black bodied Asahi Pentax ES 11 in '74 . First thing I did was file off the Asahi name on the S1a and with the ES 11 body...I put some black electrician's tape over the Asahi name.

Les
10-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #594
Pentaxian

I'm not too concerned that there aren't more points. It is the algorithms that really make the difference. The tracking and predictive stuff is great if it works. The K5 wasn't unpredictable because of a small number of points, it was unpredictable because each time you shot something it decided differently. I've threaded the needle with AF through branches and other obstructions to pinpoint a bird with AF systems, the K5 would work sometimes, then other times it seemingly decided to not let me. The boundaries between the points were ill defined and hard to determine.

What I would really like to know is how quick the system is to focus and expose. If a moving target moves out of focus before the exposure is done then it doesn't matter how many points. As for tracking, if I'm panning to follow a moving target, the only tracking I want done is if it moves around in the field of view. It seems that you can define a group of points for this purpose. Also the ability to pick out something closer to focus on when there is a busy background. The K5 was surprisingly good at this.

The K-3 AF will ultimately be limited to the abilities of the lenses. That will end up being next on Pentax's to do list.
10-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #595
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
My pleasure! The only silver lens I have is FA*300/4.5. I went for the regular black edition.
For some reason I don't know why they emailed me and said that my address is not available for preorder from Pentaxwebstore. I think they know the price is wrong then fix it then email me like that. So I just ordered again from BHphoto, so excited to have in on hand in the middle of November

Does anyone order K3 Silver + Grip from Pentaxwebstore with $1499 but get cancel email from them?
10-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #596
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Well I think you can count + type as 2 so D800 = 66 and K3 = 52 much closer (sic)
10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The K-3 AF will ultimately be limited to the abilities of the lenses. That will end up being next on Pentax's to do list.
Where is that HD DA 400mm F5.6 WR with DC v2 motor?
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #598
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Where is that HD DA 400mm F5.6 WR with DC v2 motor?
I really like the DA*300 but it is relatively slow but produces exceptional images. 400 would be nice but I hope the 1.4TC is next up in the lens department.
10-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #599

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Three pictures of K-3 posted by Digital Camera Info:

Information about prices and images of the front, side and back of the Pentax K-3 - Digital Camera Info

1/ It's a headphone jack behind the bump
2/ There is "Ricoh" written on the back, under the LCD screen.

They say US prices will be around $1,300 body only and $1,650 together with DA 18-135.

wow! pentax D400.!!!!!!!

....i'll get one sometime since Nikon WON'T give me a D400 after a long desperate wait.
10-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vboy Quote
wow! pentax D400.!!!!!!!
That's what Thom Hogan called it