Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why is it disappointing if it didn't remove anything photo related?
It removed some ergonomics. (The giant headphone jack.) They discontinued a perfectly good ltd range to replace it with a lenses specially for video. (HD: 1024p) A line of lenses tweaked for video. And first appearances show that these tweaks have a negative impact on the photography: link. They didn't update the photographic side of their flash lineup, but just reintroduced the same units with added video function. (The LED light.) All that R&D and engineering could have been sunk into something useful photography related.

Well, maybe if we're very lucky it shoots decent pictures too? As an added bonus?

On itself it might be a nice upgrade, but it dwarfs in comparison to what Sony is currently doing.

Oh well, there's always hopes for the next model in about 4 years.

Last edited by Clavius; 10-05-2013 at 01:11 AM.
10-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
Little comparison for y'all.
Looking on these images makes me realize K-3 is using a wider LCD.
It's probably a 3.2" 1.040.000 dot display with wider aspect ratio than on K-5.
10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #63

I have been waiting for a pentax camera that when you use the video mode it will auto focus the way a regular video camera would do . Will this new k-3 auto focus like other brands have been doing for years now. I don't know what the feather is called but auto focus .Would someone let me know about the improvements to auto focus in video mode . Thanks
10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
(...) They discontinued a perfectly good ltd range to replace it with a lenses specially for video. (...)
Again !

10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #65
Inactive Account

so far, I like what I see. I love the k5 body, and they are keeping it. Dual slots sounds great, better video sounds great. Cant wait to see the final product gold on dpreview?
10-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
OK than.
Good luck with the new Pentax, you all

Olympus ... here I come.
arrivederci
10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
I have been waiting for a pentax camera that when you use the video mode it will auto focus the way a regular video camera would do . Will this new k-3 auto focus like other brands have been doing for years now. I don't know what the feather is called but auto focus .Would someone let me know about the improvements to auto focus in video mode . Thanks
You also need lenses with stepper motors to smoothly and silently focus in video mode.

10-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK than.

Olympus ... here I come.
What were you hoping for: an OMD clone? Nothing has indicated this Pentax was going to be anything other than a DSLR. A revised version of the K-01 with EVF hasn't been hinted at, so why the sudden departure? Not that we don't wish you happiness with whichever Olympus you opt for, but your parting declaration gives no rhyme or reason, which you're quite entitled to do, but I hope you've no expectation that anyone would be impressed by it.
10-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It removed some ergonomics. (The giant headphone jack.) They discontinued a perfectly good ltd range to replace it with a lenses specially for video. (HD: 1024p) They didn't update the photographic side of their flash lineup, but just reintroduced the same units with added video function. (The LED light.) All that R&D and engineering could have been sunk into something useful photography related.

Well, maybe we're lucky and it shoots decent pictures too? As an added bonus?

On itself it might be a nice upgrade, but it dwarfs in comparison to what Sony is currently rumored to be doing.
We don't know anything about the actual sensor or other features yet, and we haven't yet seen the top, bottom or right-side, so I think you're a little premature in drawing conclusions about its stills capability.

Also, unless some serious hoaxing is going on, we're seeing a real Pentax, and the Sony "doings" are still only rumours, except for their losing piles of money, of course: there seems to be no doubting the reality of that.
10-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #70

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK than.

Olympus ... here I come.
I don't quite understand this post. What is it that makes you want to leave Pentax for Olympus?
10-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

On itself it might be a nice upgrade, but it dwarfs in comparison to what Sony is currently doing.
Everyone in the camera industry dwarfs in comparison to what Sony is doing. Including though not limited to; Canon, Nikon and Fuji who btw. seems to be the only one remotely close to Sony in terms of R&D. That being said, Sony's market position doesn't come without it's fair share of penalties either. IOW. I don't think there are many companies out there with deep enough pockets to supports such types of activities.

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-05-2013 at 01:29 AM.
10-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #72
Forum Member

finally, a K10D replace for me!
i hope is worth!
10-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
We don't know anything about the actual sensor or other features yet, and we haven't yet seen the top, bottom or right-side, so I think you're a little premature in drawing conclusions about its stills capability.

Also, unless some serious hoaxing is going on, we're seeing a real Pentax, and the Sony "doings" are still only rumours, except for their losing piles of money, of course: there seems to be no doubting the reality of that.
Sorry, I was going by the first still results from the HD lenses. Which are quite underwhelming and confirm to me that Pentax did sacrifice more photographic capabilities for video.

Last edited by Clavius; 10-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.
10-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Three pictures of K-3 posted by Digital Camera Info:

Information about prices and images of the front, side and back of the Pentax K-3 - Digital Camera Info

1/ It's a headphone jack behind the bump
2/ There is "Ricoh" written on the back, under the LCD screen.

They say US prices will be around $1,300 body only and $1,650 together with DA 18-135.
Great find!
Any rumors on the specs?
The price(if true) has me a bit worried from an innovation standpoint. ie, the K-3 has been such an awaited camera that I can't help but sense that people may feel let down if it ends-up being a minor upgrade over the K-5

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-05-2013 at 01:28 AM.
10-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
disappointed the hump is just a headphone jack.
I literally cannot comprehend why that would be a disappointment.