Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Superb! It has everything that I hope it would have. Now if video lenght has been made longer, it is even better. And for all of you whiners...keep on crying. It has all that have been wished and more. Yet you are crying. You must like it. Just like little girls, who are crying for attention.

Ps. Can anyone be disapointed for headphone jack, really. Looking at arrangements for ports, it seems really logical. And for dual cards. Unbeliveable to whine about that...if one prefers shooting with film camera, you can still do it.

Sorry about rant, but some of you had it coming for sure.
I am not whining. Instead, I am waiting to see whether something that is meaningful to me has been improved on or not (so far, almost nothing). If not, there's always discounted K5iis. Lastly, I do not buy Pentax cameras because I want to increase their market share. I buy them out of a selfish interest to get the right tool for my photography and they fit the bill better than any other company. Market share can be 1% or 50%, don't matter that much to me.

P.S. You should really calm down.

10-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI

After the OP's posting it took only 5 more for the first negative comment to appear !

Greetings
10-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sorry, I was going by the first still results from the HD lenses. Which are quite underwhelming.
Ah, I see. Maybe some photos using the K-3 will show their worth.
10-05-2013, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
I'll wait for the announcement before I get too excited, Dual slots... buy a bigger card lol! Unless you are motor driving all the time its really unnecessary, heck remember when you could only shoot 36 frames at a time?
It is necessary. Try explaining to your client that they have to repeat their wedding cause your SD card died. At best they will not pay you, at worst they'll try to kill you. The K-3 wants to attract professional photographers? Then it needs to offer features they need, like dual SD slots and good video functions.

Oh and as for video features increasing costs? A DSLR without proper video features will sell in very limited numbers these days. Which would mean production costs go up. I wouldn't be surprised if it were much more expensive to produce a non-video DSLR in the end.

I really wish they had a button to start video recording whenever you want to. No switch to turn. Press one button and it starts. The switch makes much more sense to turn SR on/off... maybe they could allow us to make the Fx button or the video button the LiveView button, and the other one the start video recording button.

What I also hope for is a better screen. Give us something that can at least match modern smartphones. Something like what you can find in a HTC One. That sort of resolution.

10-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Looks very promising!

Subtle details like the contoured four-way buttons exude the true Pentax spirit.

I don't mind the slight increase in size. On the contrary, it could improve handling for me.

Good thing the live view button is out of the way. Too easy to activate by mistake on the K-5 (II) and no need for it to be so accessible. While the "still image" vs "video" switch cannot be activated accidentally, I'm not sure it needs to be that accessible. It is not like one would operate that switch while looking through the viewfinder?!

I wonder whether the "AF" button will be easy to reach as there appears to be a pronounced grip structure at the back.

Ricoh, please, you can keep the "Ricoh" logo under the screen, if you allow me to swap the "green button" and the "AF button" functions.
Seriously, I'm hoping that Ricoh has infused some of its "customise everything" philosophy into the K-3. I'll have to handle the camera in order to know for sure, but it seems to me that I'd really want to the AF button to be where the green button is.

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I don't think the AF selector is a joystick. Looks like a button. This would change the interface so that you wouldn't have to long-press on the OK button to switch the 4 directional buttons between their functions and moving the focus points.
Yes, I agree.

Getting rid of the long-press on the OK button would be great.

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Hopefully it can be customised - personally it'd be good to use it for SR on/off, have really missed that lever from the K10/20 bodies.
Yes, I miss the "SR button" from my K100D as well.

I'm still exploring whether user modes can work as a substitute.

N.B., if you turn off the "status display" then one press on the "Info" button is enough to get you to the menu where you can toggle "SR" on and off. The camera remembers your last selection, so for me the selection is always on the "SR" toggle already. Not as quick as using a switch, but not terrible either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
They probably put all 3 user modes directly on the mode dial.
That would be brilliant. I think it is unlikely, but it would be really useful.

I haven't used user modes on the K-5 II much yet because they do not seem to be that easy to change. Maybe I'm missing something. Still reading the K-5 II manual.

P.S.: Regarding the "hump": It appears that just accommodating a head phone jack would have been possible with less of a bulge (or by putting it elsewhere). I could imagine that the hump is also meant to have an ergonomic purpose, e.g., provide better support for the fingers of the left hand, when one is not cradling the lens.

Last edited by Class A; 10-05-2013 at 01:32 AM.
10-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It is necessary. Try explaining to your client that they have to repeat their wedding cause your SD card died. At best they will not pay you, at worst they'll try to kill you. The K-3 wants to attract professional photographers? Then it needs to offer features they need, like dual SD slots and good video functions.
Dual slots are fine, how will they save you from a bad card? All it means it you won't have to swap cards out, right? (Until you fill both of them up.)

Do dual slots have any other function other than more storage without swapping? (Could they improve burst rate by alternating cards for each shot in a burst?)
10-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Dual slots are fine, how will they save you from a bad card? All it means it you won't have to swap cards out, right? (Until you fill both of them up.)

Do dual slots have any other function other than more storage without swapping? (Could they improve burst rate by alternating cards for each shot in a burst?)
Think "RAID 1" : any file is recorded on both cards simultaneously.

10-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #83

You save to both cards at the same time. One dies and you have a copy. The probability that both fails at the same time, is very low under normal circumstances.
10-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #84

do we know if this will use the same sensor as the d7100? That sensor is kicking a**.
I have a K-30 looking forwards to updating to a more robust body later on... I hope they put a filter less 24MP sensor. Knowing that K-30 uses a revised sensor of that in the d7000, i wonder if this would be a revised sensor or that in the d7100.

I dont know why people is complaining about video. Is it too hard NOT using it if you dont care about it? In fact, is there a single DSLR in this price range that DOES NOT offer dedicated video options?
10-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Of course, you can write to both card same time.
You can also save JPEG on SD1 and RAW on SD2.
You can probably also put video on SD1 and photo on SD2.
10-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm just asking cause I've never used anything with dual slots. So RAID and backup functions, different formats simultaneously, etc. All those would be standard features with dual slots? Then I'm all for them.
10-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I am not whining. Instead, I am waiting to see whether something that is meaningful to me has been improved on or not (so far, almost nothing). If not, there's always discounted K5iis. Lastly, I do not buy Pentax cameras because I want to increase their market share. I buy them out of a selfish interest to get the right tool for my photography and they fit the bill better than any other company. Market share can be 1% or 50%, don't matter that much to me.

P.S. You should really calm down.
Well, I did not mean just You with my comment, and everyone should do as they please with their gear, and purchasing of one too. I should calm down, everyone should. In the end these are not so big deals. I want to see specs, must say that I'm eager to know.
10-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Sorry, I was going by the first still results from the HD lenses. Which are quite underwhelming and confirm to me that Pentax did sacrifice more photographic capabilities for video.
I don't see how you have gathered that these lenses are optimized for video. They simply are not. If this is pentax's attempt at making lenses for video, they are more incont than we thought. Video lenses have a long focus throw, standardized filter thread (within a series) , and need to have a wide enough focus ring to accommodate a lens gear and follow focus. Andhould be long enough to extend into a matte box.

I believe, as does most of the rest of the world, that they are simply using the term HD for marketing purposes. Is there something in that translation that indicated that the lenses were optimized for video? I found it difficult to read.
10-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'm just asking cause I've never used anything with dual slots. So RAID and backup functions, different formats simultaneously, etc. All those would be standard features with dual slots? Then I'm all for them.
Page 42 of 645D manual is very complete on that point.

SD1: whatever format you want
SD2: backup of SD1 or fill when SD1 full etc.
10-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I believe, as does most of the rest of the world, that they are simply using the term HD for marketing purposes. Is there something in that translation that indicated that the lenses were optimized for video? I found it difficult to read.
Yes, that's what I've been saying. "HD" has been the term for 1080p video for years now. So naming the new lensline HD to go with the new video-centric body is very smart marketing.