Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Btw., the 5D Mk II sold in relatively huge numbers... BECAUSE IT HAD VIDEO FUNCTIONS!

If the K-3 offered video RAW and/or 4K that could easily be an instant buy for many. What's bad about that? Now I doubt the camera has that ability, but if it had... especially with an improved SR function that works during video recording...

Moving away the Lv button is a bit of an issue for me, makes it harder to reach.

Pentax might use the headphone jack, together with an adapter, to trigger a flash or two. Or find some other use for it. Having a port that can output a signal, together with an adapter could be used for a couple of uses. Heck, there is a 3D printer that uses a headphone jack of a computer to control where material is being fixed. Get creative...

Can anyone scale the photos so that we can see how big the K-3 will be?

Btw., it looks to me as if the hump of the headphone jack makes the camera EASIER to grip.

Oh and, again, where on earth are the HD lenses optimized for video? Is there any SDM motor that gives us noiseless, smooth focusing at different speeds in there? If not, it's not for video. Also, some of the very best lenses are meant for video. Look at those beautiful Arri, Zeiss etc. primes.

You base your assumption the HD lenses are for video on a Google translation version of a Japanese site (and automatically translating Japanese or Chinese into English hardly works at all), which even seems to say the HD lenses are BETTER? Please explain to me what exactly makes the HD lenses better at video, and worse at stills. The only thing that may mostly benefit video and not stills (but also not hurt stills) is a better AF motor that is silent and more flexible in terms of speeds it is driven at... and smoother. But even those features can benefit tracking AF, wedding photographers, street life photographers, people who need to shoot in quiet environments without disturbing everyone. Other than that... videographers/filmmakers want lenses that are sharp, are very smooth when manually focusing (benefits people who like to manually focus in general), that have good contrast, little lens flare (unless you are JJ Abrams), little chromatic aberations, ... basically everything a still photographer would also want. IF the HD lenses aren't as good for stills as the SMC ones, then that will make them less attractive for video people too.

And to the one wanting to depart to Olympus... isn't Olympus even more video centric than Pentax?

@siamthai: Better video functions perhaps, and a smaller camera. The OM-D IS a very tempting camera.

@Giklab: It'd be a disappointment over an hybrid EVF for example.

@Class A: I start turning the dial while still looking through the viewfinder to turn to video. So yes, being nicely accessible is a plus. Often times you are taking photos, and then you see something that would work better as a video, something that needs to be captured quickly before it is too late. Every second counts, and being easily accessible is great in that case. Now I'd still rather have a dedicated start video recording button... one button is there to take a photo, one to take a video. If I need to switch something first, I don't need a dedicated video button. It's useless then. And I do want the ability to turn off Lv in video mode. For example when I want the sensor to cool down/save battery while waiting for the next thing to shoot.

I agree with the long press OK thing. I prefered my *istDs where I would have to press the Fn button to get to the more exotic stuff, and where I otherwise would control the AF point with the 4 way buttons. Back then I constantly moved the focus point, with the K-5 I never do it. I would have to check in what mode I am, long press, ... I would still prefer the Fn button (I don't need to set white balance that often, and I don't need access to the self timer so easily, or even the other features...), but I suppose the AF mode button would work too. AF mode + cursor = select focus point, AF mode + dial = select AF mode.

@vonBaloney: Yes, AFAIK backups etc. are a standard feature of dual slot cameras.

@Clavius: But it is MARKETING. Nothing else. It doesn't make the lens any better or worse for videos. YOU have been saying the lenses are better for video, and not so good for stills. And that is a stupid assumption, cause clearly they are not exactly good for professional video, and they added nothing that helps them with doing better video. If they did, they would also be better for stills.

@wigelll: Isn't it, like, a bit early to say the K-3 is not ergonomic? And the EM1 seems to be a much more video focused camera than the K-3 could ever be. I would still pick a GF3 over it, but it seems to be pretty good for video too. And Pentax has a history of not understanding what videographers want.

10-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks utterly brilliant.

The slightly taller body will suit me. The width is deceptive; I'm hoping it will still take the DBG-4 as the comparison photos are not quite scaled the same.
The bigger pentaprism augurs well for a higher magnification OVF.
The movement of the buttons largely makes sense to me, but it will take a bit of acclimatisation.
Twin slots is an excellent move, especially in a camera with hopefully serious video capability. I might start getting into video more. I really like the video/stills switch to prevent inadvertently taking a video like I have done a few times with my K-01.

Now if the stills performance gets the boost we are expecting (AF, flash, resolution, processing etc) it will be my new workhorse; the K-5 IIs will become the "compact" travel camera and backup body for events. My K-5 will be on the market the day the K-3 arrives, and my K-01 may be struggling too as it is now soundly trumped for video.
10-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
I do still photography, not video
Olympus E-M5 Review - Video

Pretty much everything that I wanted from the K-5 in terms of video the E-M5 does... and the E-M1 will probably even improve on that. Unless Pentax really manages to catch up with that... and I don't see that coming... the Olympus will be better for video. It can also take much more video centric lenses, and you can use all sorts of ridiculous video lenses with f0.75 etc.

Increasing the size of the K-3 is... oh well, at least something that makes me not want to switch from my K-5. I thought I'd buy it, and keep it forever until it dies in 10 years or so. But now the K-3 already makes me want to upgrade again...
10-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
I do still photography, not video
Because you think the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is not video-capable?

10-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
(...)

Increasing the size of the K-3 is... oh well, at least something that makes me not want to switch from my K-5. I thought I'd buy it, and keep it forever until it dies in 10 years or so. But now the K-3 already makes me want to upgrade again...
K-3 has more or less the same size as K-5 and weights only around 40 grams more.
10-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Very nice. Good thing they decided to fix the position of the AF button. It was just to far away on the k5. I used it all the time when I had my k-x, can'
Sorry Eagle, I couldn't disagree more. The AF button fits exactly under my thumb where it is now, and I use it each and every time I pick up my k5/k7's I am so used to using the AF button for...um AFing that this will be a pain to get used to.

The video toggle switch (or whatever it is), could be in a less prominent part of the body and the AF button and green button could/should stay exactly where they were.

I too hope they allow us to fully customise all the buttons, so I can have some coherence in the functionality of this and what will be my back-up K-5. (swap AF and green button functions)

Having said all that, if the sensor specs are all that has been rumored, I'm in! Where do I sign up?

I was one of those that paid $1700 for a K-5 body. If this camera has a better sensor than the superb K-5, a switchable AA filter, better AF and metering....and some video whatnots....I'm all over it for the suggested $1,300 price.

Last edited by wizofoz; 10-05-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: accuracy
10-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
No articulating screen would suggest weather sealing to me. Id rather weather sealing over a tilting screen any day of the week!
Olympus E-3, E-5, OM-D E-M1 and OM-D E-M5 both have an articulated screen and are weather-sealed.

10-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #113
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It'll be a good camera. Indeed something in it for everyone. Video, Stills, AF performance, It's all good.
10-05-2013, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #114

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

Can anyone scale the photos so that we can see how big the K-3 will be?
I've only attempted it with the front view picture as the mount ring is easy to use as a reliable scale factor; those images turn out to be to scale already. There barely seems to be a difference; the K3 mostly looks to be a tiny bit taller. Given the small size of the original images, that difference might even be within the margin of error of my scaling attempt.

Last edited by OJGoreng; 10-05-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Added a line about margin of error of the scaling method.
10-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Still more compact than any aps-c competition (d7100 70D) Could'nt they have put that head phone jack next to the mic jack? Much more subtle.
10-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #116
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Olympus E-3, E-5, OM-D E-M1 and OM-D E-M5 both have an articulated screen and are weather-sealed.
But have they sold enough (yet) to provide any real statistics on long term reliability?
10-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I don't see why people are saying the K-3 is bigger. That rear comparison pic posted a few pages back is obviously not scaled correctly (compare the hotshoes).

It looks to me like the K-3 is pretty much exactly the same size as the K-5, with +/- a few millimeters here and there.
10-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
But have they sold enough (yet) to provide any real statistics on long term reliability?
I would say so. E-x might be even tougher and more resistant than Pentax bodies.
10-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
(...)
It looks to me like the K-3 is pretty much exactly the same size as the K-5, with +/- a few millimeters here and there.
Definitely so.
10-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It removed some ergonomics. (The giant headphone jack.) They discontinued a perfectly good ltd range to replace it with a lenses specially for video. (HD: 1024p) A line of lenses tweaked for video. And first appearances show that these tweaks have a negative impact on the photography: link. They didn't update the photographic side of their flash lineup, but just reintroduced the same units with added video function. (The LED light.) All that R&D and engineering could have been sunk into something useful photography related.

Well, maybe if we're very lucky it shoots decent pictures too? As an added bonus?

On itself it might be a nice upgrade, but it dwarfs in comparison to what Sony is currently doing.

Oh well, there's always hopes for the next model in about 4 years.
Your accustations are so far off the wall I can't stop laughing
Let s look at them objectivley
HD:1024p what is this ?? its a mix of an XGA PC standard merged with parts of consumer HD reterict I assume you mean 1080p note no HD at the front thats you personaly fabrictation to make your story fit
So your accustation is Penatx is lieing HD is no refernece to a new harder coat but to its Video Lineage ...what about the HD560 good look with that
And finally the flashes.....Those flashes that everyone was screaming needed to be weather sealed, the 360 needed an articulated head....guess what?

Do you really think adding an 20p LED light took any R&D resources from their core function ? if you do maybe you'd be better off turning your paranoa on a Sony product?