Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
A lever to switch between stills and video? What a waste... Seems there´s a red "rec" button that doubles as Liveview button also. A lot of dedicated buttons for video. And the AF / MF lever looses one position so that choices and the focus point will be done through the "Focus Mode" button? I hope you can do them without having the main LCD on...
The *istD shows which focus point you´ve selected in the viewfinder... The K-5 doesn´t.
As per the focus lever, it might be that they have added a tracking mode and having 4 lever positions would get cumbersome in use.. maybe?

10-04-2013, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Looks like dual slots to me. Interesting set up. Will have to see what it's all about. I'm not inclined toward it if a ff is coming, especially since I'm shooting a IIs right now. It does sound interesting though.
10-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

only a couple of questions for me left...

1) flash sync speed?

2) does it use K5 battery?
10-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dual slots
Joystick to select af points
Red button for video?
Video / stills switch
Different diopter adjustment
Contoured 4 way buttons
Usb 3.0
Headset jack
Af mode button

A little something for everyone.
I understand the desire for everyone to have a video camera, but if that's all that's been upgraded its disappointing, all the other little things are sweet and well needed enhancements, but what is going to set this camera apart from CaNikon? We have ot stop the argument of 40+ years of backward compatability with the lenses, AF lenses are the big items for anyone shooting anything BUT Macro and landscape.... I'll wait for the announcement before I get too excited, Dual slots... buy a bigger card lol! Unless you are motor driving all the time its really unnecessary, heck remember when you could only shoot 36 frames at a time?

10-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm still stupefied why they would spend resources 'updating' the K-30 to the K-50 and then turn right around and name their flagship the K-3

Why not keep the K-30 as the K-30 so the numbering system matches the new flagship?

Now what do they do? They can't go back to K-30 if they ever develop something more mid tier... unless they call it a K-30 mk ii or something along the lines of K-33
I couldn't care less. They can close up shop for all I care. This video camera is the most stupid move they ever made.
10-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
Does the Pre-Production FF also say Pentax on it?
10-04-2013, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not enough info yet to make a judgment but I haven't seen anything yet that would spark my interest.

10-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The video/stills switch would make sense if you can still use the mode dial in video mode for...different modes...
10-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dual slots
Joystick to select af points
Red button for video?
Video / stills switch
Different diopter adjustment
Contoured 4 way buttons
Usb 3.0
Headset jack
Af mode button

A little something for everyone.
I don't think the AF selector is a joystick. Looks like a button. This would change the interface so that you wouldn't have to long-press on the OK button to switch the 4 directional buttons between their functions and moving the focus points.

Also, did anyone else notice there now seems to be a button with the multi-segment metering symbol on it? At the top left, next to the play button. This is formerly a mode on the selector that's concentric with the PASM dial on the top left. But that control looks like it's still there. Maybe that does something else now? I'm guessing the button is to toggle the metering mode and that it's not a shortcut to multi-segment metering. So what would the old metering dial do now on the K-3?
10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, there's something out there for everyone. When I wanted to step up from mirrorless, the K5 was a fantastic way to do it and produce amazing shots without breaking the bank. And now I love my IIs. This was important to someone like me who wanted quality but did not want to spend at least 65% more for a Nikon or Canon that I would be happy with. I've always said that if I went FF, I'd probably go with a Nikon and it would much more. Unless of course Pentax did release something amazing. Which I hope they do because it would probably give the Canon and Nikons a run for their money for a lot less $$. I'd feel better about it being built in Japan but I guess that's not going to happen.
10-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Maybe a quick way to switch to spot metering and multi? interesting.

I don't shoot video either but for those who like to, maybe this is it.
10-04-2013, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Does the Pre-Production FF also say Pentax on it?
No, it says Nikon, sadly You'll see it next week too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn't really care about the video, I want to know what the full photo capabilities are.
10-04-2013, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I couldn't care less. They can close up shop for all I care. This video camera is the most stupid move they ever made.
I am curious: why do you feel that way? Video is an extremely important segment of the market, and it is one pentax has neglected until now they will continue to lose market share until they properly address video. That is a fact. For example, there are thousands odd film students all around America who would never consider pentax, due to canon's dominance as a video tool.

Of course, they shouldn't neglect still users, either.
10-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
Forum Member

The focusing line on the viewfinder screen is similar to older pentax models. I wonder how the 27 AF points are arranged?