Headset jack
Mic jack
Usb port
HDMI port
DC in port

10-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I couldn't care less. They can close up shop for all I care. This video camera is the most stupid move they ever made.
I didn't expect you to be such a drama queen. On the other hand, where am I?
10-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Looking at the side view I see 7 things I will never use:
Popup flash button
Flash sync port
Headset jack
Mic jack
Usb port
HDMI port
DC in port
Yeah,almost exactly the same for me. The only exception is the USB 3.0 port which I will likely use. I am really hoping for significant internal changes in the camera that are not related to video. If those are not there, it's not the end of the world, I'll just get a discount K5iis :-)
10-04-2013, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I couldn't care less. They can close up shop for all I care. This video camera is the most stupid move they ever made.
I find it stupefying that people like Clavius are whining so hard about better video. Video has played a huge part of the success of many large sensored still cameras in recent years (e.g. 5D Mk 2, Panasonic GH series, etc.). There is high demand for "all-in-one" cameras that are capable of providing high quality imaging, both stills and video, at a reasonable price, something that a video capable DSLR is perfect for. At the same time every review trashes Pentax cameras for their weak video features, many of which can be easily addressed.

Therefore Ricoh is being very smart and greatly improving video, attracting the aforementioned markets, rather than people who want a deliberately crippled camera. All modern sensors are video capable, basic software already exists, and adding a few ports and buttons adds little to the cost. Don't want 'em? Don't use 'em.

Why are you even here anyway? The K-3 is guaranteed to be as good or better than the K-5 series in still imaging in every way. If this camera is crap, then all current Pentax cameras must be beyond crap to you.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
10-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
Pentaxian

If the video mode works very well then it will be used. Maybe it tells us whose market share Ricoh is going after.

Now for some shots of the bottom, top and the card slots.

Is the top screen bigger, taking up the space where the +- and iso buttons were? Oops, I guess they are still there.

The AF button has moved. I found the K-5 one too close to the green button for my large thumb, and an awkward position when holding it down to af and press the shutter.

What does the right 4 button icon mean? And the bottom right has two icons; one for when viewing photos, the ability to switch cards. What is the icon above it?

Last edited by derekkite; 10-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.
10-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They have made some improvements of the K7/K5 user interface.
+ Nice to have LV/video rec button moved out of the way, with less risk of starting LV/video by mistake,
+ Better with separate AF points button, instead of using OK-button.
+ AF mode button makes it quicker to switch AF modes and focus point modes.
- AF button moved to a less ideal position (IMO). Would have been better if they kept the AF-button in the same place as before and placed the AF point select button where AF button is now, and moved LV/Video switch to where AF point select button is now.
- AE-L button moved further out. Makes it harder to reach.

If there is a separate metering button, what does then the mechanical selector below the mode dial then to?
Or may the metering button be a used as a temporary switch to another metering mode? Would be nice if it could be used as FI "spot metering button", where you switch to spot metering as long as you push the button.
10-04-2013, 11:33 PM - 5 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb! It has everything that I hope it would have. Now if video lenght has been made longer, it is even better. And for all of you whiners...keep on crying. It has all that have been wished and more. Yet you are crying. You must like it. Just like little girls, who are crying for attention.

Ps. Can anyone be disapointed for headphone jack, really. Looking at arrangements for ports, it seems really logical. And for dual cards. Unbeliveable to whine about that...if one prefers shooting with film camera, you can still do it.

Sorry about rant, but some of you had it coming for sure.

10-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I really like idea of video/still button at back!

So convinient. Also, can I hope that video can be shot with out LV, so heating up could be more under control?
10-04-2013, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well the video improvements are of no interest to me, so that is personally disappointing. But if it helps them sell more cameras it is fine by me.
10-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well the video improvements are of no interest to me, so that is personally disappointing. But if it helps them sell more cameras it is fine by me.
Why is it disappointing if it didn't remove anything photo related?
10-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #41

Because you still pay for the Video functions.
10-04-2013, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #42

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
A lever to switch between stills and video? What a waste...
Hopefully it can be customised - personally it'd be good to use it for SR on/off, have really missed that lever from the K10/20 bodies.
10-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #43

Looking at the side view I see 7 things I will never use:
Popup flash button
Flash sync port
Headset jack
Mic jack
Usb port
HDMI port
DC in port
Mostly the same for me. However I know there are many that need those things. They will not buy the camera if it is lacking them which will
not take Pentax forward.

And making two models one with and one without those things does not make any sense. I doubt the added logistics and effort to manufacture
two models instead of one will only add costs.
10-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #44

We need video!
Don't disregard video as part of camera use, once when you try to make some nice expressions in couple seconds or minutes You will see what I'm talking about.
Pentax glass and video are nice, old M lenses or A lenses give great results so we need better video capabilities in cameras.
Also make better AF and x-sinc and we have best tools for work or hobby.
10-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
Hopefully it can be customised - personally it'd be good to use it for SR on/off, have really missed that lever from the K10/20 bodies.
That would be really convinient too. I newer had that, because I have K-7, but it is annaying sometimes to go trouhg menu to activate/unactivate SR.

Edit: I still do like it if it is just like shown in picture. Much more easy to get video on. I wonder if they have now new mode in shooting mode dial up on the camera, if movie is down here.