Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #136

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I can't think of a single reason not to like this new K-3.
I don't shoot video, only photos. Here's why I like it, in no particular order of preference:
I do shoot the occasional video, but given how that functionality seems to only have inproved, I second that sentiment. Nothing I've seen about this camera puts me off it, at least. With about 90,000 clicks on the shutter count (I mostly do birds in flight, so most of those shots are binned shortly after ) my K5 is nearing the end of its life. I'm pretty confident now I can base the choice for a replacement body (K5IIs or K3) on the eventual image performance mostly. Something tells me it'll end up being the K3.

10-05-2013, 03:16 AM - 4 Likes   #137

Am I the only one who prefers the K-3 with a fixed screen?

Articulating screens are a bit of a gimmick in my honest opinion. Flimsy little things that feel like they are just asking to snap off.
10-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Clavius is going to buy an older Leica, since, of course, they are about the only camera company that hasn't paid any attention to video.
Buy a Leica M and you will be surprised!
10-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Here are the new ones: K-3 - Imgur

Battery grip was named as BG-5 btw.
They probably wanted to make a new battery grip with new button layout to match K-3, but perhaps the BG-4 will still fit.

10-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The new "SR" logo at the front looks classier.
I like it.
Indeed.
10-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Indeed.
Now that does look like crap. I definitely prefer the black.
10-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 pictures: front, side and back (aka it definitely is a headphone jack)

As another posted, Leica is also another option. Olympus is even a smaller company than Ricoh, and in fact Sony now is part owner, how long do you think that some decent video implementation is going to happen on all cameras to some degree. Even the new Leica M9 replacement boasts of 1080P video.

10-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #143
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm with you....
10-05-2013, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, I think the camera looks great. Obviously waiting on the official specs list, but still...

I have come to the conclusion that there are too many whiners here. "Who cares about video -- it just screws up the shooting experience." "Who needs dual card slots, just buy a bigger card." And all of it comes down to the fact that somehow people believe if they left off this feature or that, it would have knocked 10 dollars off the final price of the camera (I guess). The reality is that Pentax has been working on a package that is not targeted at any one of us, but at a global market and leaving any one of these features off, would not have decreased the price significantly and would have shrunk the market for this camera.

I expect to buy one of these fairly rapidly. My wife shoots weddings and she is constantly in fear that she will have a memory card failure and lose photos of a (hopefully) once in a lifetime event. Uses lots of smaller cards and of course, a second shooter. But she still would love to have a second card slot. Probably won't use video much, but I don't really care that it is there.

I guess the only thing that disappoints me is that it won't take the grips that I have for my K5s. But it is OK for improved performance. I'll deal...

I guess as far as articulating screen goes, I don't really care either way. But, few upper end cameras have them. D7100, 7D, any full frame camera eschew them in favor of a standard screen. I think if Pentax decides to use one down the road, it will start with a mid to lower end model, not with the flagship.
10-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
Olympus EM1 has video but is clearly a still photography oriented camera (it clearly shows and that is confirmed by Olympus itself).
Compared to the K-5 it is a much more video focused camera. Now if the K-3 is such a big improvement in terms of video remains to be seen, but I don't think Pentax is able to jump forward that much. If you want to shoot video I'd still rather recommend the Oly.

Besides, if I were to primarily shoot stills, I think I would still prefer an optical viewfinder over an electronic one. Even the Sony EVFs, which are great, can't convince me.

Btw., I just noticed, it still has a round lens release button... I hope it doesn't feel/is as flimsy as the one on the K-5... the one on my *istDS feels much more solid.

I would rather have an articulated screen, as they give me the ability to shoot from angles I couldn't in the past. However it is even better if I can use my smartphone for that purpose. So if they have integrated that feature, yay. If not... oh well.
10-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Looks from here to be a solid camera which does everything you'd expect from a camera at this level, including video performance which, in 2013, really cannot be neglected. Of course, there are large unknowns such as sensor, flash and AF performance (and that super resolution rumour) but assuming they are up to speed then this will be a fine camera. In fact, if you want the best from APS-C then the K-3 will be as good as it gets. I don't see what more Ricoh could have done. There might still be reasons for choosing another brand over the K-3 - long lenses if you are a sports/wildlife shooter, e.g. - but it doesn't look as if inferior performance will be one of them. As for price, well that could be a tricky one ... The silver edition looks perilously close to the kind of thing you might see swinging from the hand of a Russian oligarch or an overdressed lady who rents rooms by the hour, but that's just me. Black is the only way.
10-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
They probably wanted to make a new battery grip with new button layout to match K-3, but perhaps the BG-4 will still fit.
Pentax Battery Grip D-BG 5:

10-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #148
Pentaxian

If you can't see the difference between a nice looking camera and manure, you need to have your eyes checked.
10-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A 3D view showing the mode dial:

10-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bolt Quote
Am I the only one who prefers the K-3 with a fixed screen?
I would prefer a fixed screen, if only because to my mind it seems more robust and easier to weather seal. In a fit of madness (and back ache) I bought a D5100 because of its swivelling screen (I already had a lot of Nikon glass), but it was much less useful than I thought it would be. Good for video work, I imagine, but that's not what I do.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I'm with you.
I'm not...