Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Yes just look at our stars, Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris, Dave Lee Travis, Jimmy Seville... cool? yeah right.
I'm a musician and those tools were never "my stars"

John Mclaughlin
Santana
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Focus
Pink Floyd
Free
Weather Report

etc etc etc

You can keep your poncy pop stars mate

10-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
other than the re-positioned AF button, the only 'downer' for me is the proposed new batt grip. I was hoping that the bg-4 would fit.

the K-5/k-7 body is so much better balanced with a BG when using substantial lenses, and of course there is the advantage of shooting in portrait mode. I only take the BG off for "stealth mode" with something like the DA40

the news of the new BG just adds probably $400ish* dollars to the cost of the body for me.

the price of progress I guess

* Guestimate based on the old price of the BG-4.
10-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #198
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

John Mclaughlin
Santana
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Focus
Pink Floyd
Free
Weather Report

etc etc etc

I was talking primarily of TV exposure. Personally what I'm trying to determine is if I can afford the new K3 in silver and the SACD "High Vibrations" Yes box set at the same time.
10-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #199
Banned

I really hope there's some easy access to the focus point modes. I'm constantly switching between center and selection, perhaps as my #1 on the fly adjustment.

10-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what's the utility of the big ol' diopter adjustment?
10-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im no video nerd, thus have no idea about the various advantages and disadvantages, but can anyone shed some light on why a 1/4" headphone jack is more advantageous than a 1/8" version? It seems to me that Pentax engineers aren't stupid, so there must be some reasons for the bigger jack.

Last edited by wizofoz; 10-05-2013 at 05:42 AM.
10-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Much Improvement for K-5.
- Probably battery is the same but with more mAH.
- USB 3.0
- 4K video + AF+ More FPS
- 10FPS
- New BG Grip
- Slightly Taller than wider than K-5
- 5 Axis SR

10-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Im no video nerd, thus have any idea about the various advantages and disadvantages, but can anyone shed some light on why a 1/4" headphone jack is more advantageous than a 1/8" version? It seems to me that Pentax engineers aren't stupid, so there must be some reasons for the bigger jack.
In ol' times of analogue signal, a better signal-to-noise ratio.
10-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
So what's the utility of the big ol' diopter adjustment?
increased magnification, and getting my big schnoz away from buttons and LCD screen.....

worth every penny. I ordered a 2nd one today, cost ~ $50aus
10-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #205
Veteran Member

For me, what I see for now, is ok. But I'm waiting for a WiFi and thetering, to control the camera from a tablet or smartphone. If there are here, is something close to perfect
10-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

John Mclaughlin
Santana
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Focus
Pink Floyd
Free
Weather Report

etc etc etc

Steve, my stars list would include most of yours, but I'd add a few classic Aussies as well, Thorpy, Chain, Angels, the mighty Cold Chisel, and even the fully wondrous Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, etc.... a ponce free zone

sorry way off topic here....forgive an old mans reminiscences on a Saturday night...
10-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In ol' times of analogue signal, a better signal-to-noise ratio.
OK, i get that more metal equals better connection, thus less resistance...but really, I-everything uses a tiny jack, and the quality of the sound is astounding...

must be something more
10-05-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Buy a Leica M and you will be surprised!
I have to say that I am shocked that a company as pure as Leica would even dabble in video. It's just crazy and definitely indicates that Armaggedon is just around the corner.

Also, it is odd that Leica's cameras aren't cheaper than equivalent Nikon/Canon cameras, considering all of the features they choose to leave off.
10-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Steve, my stars list would include most of yours, but I'd add a few classic Aussies as well, Thorpy, Chain, Angels, the mighty Cold Chisel, and even the fully wondrous Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, etc.... a ponce free zone

sorry way off topic here....forgive an old mans reminiscences on a Saturday night...
I'd go with that list too... I knew Barnesy at High School and used to Jam with Chisel regularly...

PS> Don't forget Daddy Cool, Mackenzie Theory, The Mentals, Midnight Oil & Split Enz (NZ band)
10-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
We will have to wait on specs (and images) before a final verdict, but this camera to me seems to do a good job of bringing together some good Pentax APS-C features into one camera, as a flagship should.

Want best video from Pentax? You don't have to choose a K-01 or K-30 over a K-5II anymore.
Want good AF? I am guessing this will combine the best of K-30 action shooting plus K-5ii low light shooting plus other advancements.
Want best image quality for Pentax? This camera should have that, at least in terms of pure resolution.

The video additions appeal to me as an occasional photojournalist, the dual card slots for the aforementioned wedding photography, plus other possible uses (such as a Raw on one Jpg on the other)

Plus: dual slot memory card, headphone jack, possibly other features like improved rear screen and OVF, etc. All for less of a starting price than the K-5 or K-7. Really the only other thing I could ask for at this point is WiFi and a full frame sensor. An articulating screen would also be nice but not a deal breaker.

As for the person who is switching to EM1 that looks to be a great camera. Olympus CAF is super fast and you can't beat its performance to size ratio at the moment. Great lenses, too! The K-3 on the other hand will likely have much better tracking AF, better pure IQ, and an OVF. Get what works for you
The K-5 easily had the best video... the K-30 was a toy compared to it. Yes, the K-30 used a more advanced codec, but the implementation was pretty poor, and bitrates too low. Also you got 4:2:0 with the K-30, but 4:2:2 with the K-5. It also didn't feature proper video stabilization, unlike the K-5. The only thing that really speaks against the K-5 in terms of video (against the K-30) were hot pixels after a while (maybe the K-30 got them too) and huge files. Buy more memory cards, then, or learn to shoot more economic. I've tried both cameras, and video was the main reason why I picked the K-5, despite having to spend more.

Also, I really doubt there's a 1/4" jack in there. The difference it makes is so small... and it would be quite bothersome, as people would probably have to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter...

Does this look like a 1/4" jack to you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Photo-audiojacks.jpg
There you can find the 1/4" plug right next to a 1/8" one, and while the one found on the K-3 looks like it could be a bit bigger than the microphone one, it doesn't look anywhere near as big enough for a 1/4" socket. I'd rather expect the microphone one to be downsized to 2.5mm, and the headphone one to be 3.5mm (1/8").

Last edited by kadajawi; 10-05-2013 at 06:03 AM.