Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
increased magnification, and getting my big schnoz away from buttons and LCD screen.....

worth every penny. I ordered a 2nd one today, cost ~ $50aus

Eh? I don't think this answers my question. The new K-3 has a big ol' diopter adjustment, whereas the K-5 had a little slide behind the eye cup.

What's the big dial good for? Adjusting on the fly for a bunch of magnifying eye cups?

10-05-2013, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
spit Enz were only Kiwi's till they got good, then we claimed them as ours of course...

there seems to be a couple of rather large 70's elephants in the room missing from this list though... mick 'n keefe? doobie bros? CSN and sometimes Y, Alman Bros are fave of mine. Did we miss Cocker? Clapton? (pre ponce) Rod Stewart? (ditto) Elton John? the poetry of Paul Simon?

It is my firmly held belief that the music industry reached a zenith circa 1974, and after that the bean counters and other various parasites and handbrakes go involved in 'directing' musicians and poets. It has never ben the same since. What a shame.

Edit: sorry folks... way off topic....

Last edited by wizofoz; 10-05-2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: idiocy
10-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-5 easily had the best video... the K-30 was a toy compared to it. Yes, the K-30 used a more advanced codec, but the implementation was pretty poor, and bitrates too low. Also you got 4:2:0 with the K-30, but 4:2:2 with the K-5. It also didn't feature proper video stabilization, unlike the K-5. The only thing that really speaks against the K-5 in terms of video (against the K-30) were hot pixels after a while (maybe the K-30 got them too) and huge files. Buy more memory cards, then, or learn to shoot more economic. I've tried both cameras, and video was the main reason why I picked the K-5, despite having to spend more.

Also, I really doubt there's a 1/4" jack in there. The difference it makes is so small... and it would be quite bothersome, as people would probably have to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter...

Does this look like a 1/4" jack to you?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Photo-audiojacks.jpg
There you can find the 1/4" plug right next to a 1/8" one, and while the one found on the K-3 looks like it could be a bit bigger than the microphone one, it doesn't look anywhere near as big enough for a 1/4" socket. I'd rather expect the microphone one to be downsized to 2.5mm, and the headphone one to be 3.5mm (1/8").
Good points. I think in terms of video quality and output the K-5 was better, but with Prime M the K-30 had AF in video and manual control over exposure. My main point was that I am hoping the video on the K-3 will be another area where you don't have to compromise one area of performance to gain somewhere else. Autofocus is another good example of this, potentially.
10-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Eh? I don't think this answers my question. The new K-3 has a big ol' diopter adjustment, whereas the K-5 had a little slide behind the eye cup.

What's the big dial good for? Adjusting on the fly for a bunch of magnifying eye cups?
Sorry, I thought you were referring to my reference to the eyecup accessory....apologies....

the device you are referring to seems be a diopter adjustment very similar to the Nikon implementation, making it easier to change the magnification of the VF, according to the users needs.

10-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #215
Veteran Member

spit Enz were only Kiwi's till they got good, then we claimed them as ours of course...

there seems to be a couple of rather large 70's elephants in the room missing from this list though... mick 'n keefe? doobie bros? CSN and sometimes Y, Alman Bros are fave of mine. Did we miss Cocker? Clapton? (pre ponce) Rod Stewart? (ditto) Elton John? the poetry of Paul Simon?

It is my firmly held belief that the music industry reached a zenith circa 1974, and after that the bean counters and other various parasites and handbrakes go involved in 'directing' musicians and poets. It has never ben the same since. What a shame.

I always placed the high water mark at 1973 before most of popular music turned into arena rock garbage. The next defining era of popular music begins in 1991 with the release of Nevermind -- precisely because record executives had no clue where the market was going to go with it.
10-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nevermind was perfectly named....I didn't give a toss about it.

but then again, my 15yo teenage angst days were well past by then...
10-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I literally cannot comprehend why that would be a disappointment.
Was hoping for something more . I'm not opposed to it. Was just hoping there was another reason for it. Ibalsobfeel it could have been better located, almost feels like an after thought.

10-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Was hoping for something more . I'm not opposed to it. Was just hoping there was another reason for it. Ibalsobfeel it could have been better located, almost feels like an after thought.
The "bulge" does seem a bit excessive just to add a headphone jack, I think you're right about that. But thinking in terms of the whole structure of the camera maybe it was added in order to add a headphone jack while also providing room for something else. They did cram an extra memory card slot in, for example, and the form factor appears to be close to the K-5 so they might have been needing a way to create more space without making the camera a great deal larger.
10-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Im no video nerd, thus have no idea about the various advantages and disadvantages, but can anyone shed some light on why a 1/4" headphone jack is more advantageous than a 1/8" version? It seems to me that Pentax engineers aren't stupid, so there must be some reasons for the bigger jack.
Durability. And that's about it. But that's not a 1/4" jack on the camera. If you've ever seen the jack on an electric guitar, that's a 1/4" jack.

I zoomed in on both jacks on the camera, and they look to be the same size. I'm guessing they're 3.5mm (1/8") jacks.
10-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #220
Pentaxian

About that hump. If I have my left hand is under lense and camera base near AF mode dial, I could imagine by using my K-7 that this hump, would actually be good for putting some weight on my thump finger(dunno if it is proper term for that finger? You one finger at side of your palm, fattest?) while shooting and use it for changind AF mode every now and then ? Right.
10-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Durability. And that's about it. But that's not a 1/4" jack on the camera. If you've ever seen the jack on an electric guitar, that's a 1/4" jack.

I zoomed in on both jacks on the camera, and they look to be the same size. I'm guessing they're 3.5mm (1/8") jacks.
I own 14 guitars Gibby (cant play them, but do understand them) that looks an awful lot like a standard 1/4" jack to me
10-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
About that hump. If I have my left hand is under lense and camera base near AF mode dial, I could imagine by using my K-7 that this hump, would actually be good for putting some weight on my thump finger(dunno if it is proper term for that finger? You one finger at side of your palm, fattest?) while shooting and use it for changind AF mode every now and then ? Right.
I actually think the hump would be nice for me ergonomically, sorta like the way you describe it. Would love to get my hands on a model to feel it.
10-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #223

Okay let`s get down to brass tacks....the wonga.

Optimistically trailed at $1300 for the body ....at an exchange rate of 1.6:1 ( $:£ ) I make that, using a back of a fag packet calculation....ermmmm, let`s see.........about £1300
10-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dual slots
Joystick to select af points
Red button for video?
Video / stills switch
Different diopter adjustment
Contoured 4 way buttons
Usb 3.0
Headset jack
Af mode button

A little something for everyone.
Bigger screen too? by the looks of it, it is the 3.2" like in the D7100.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Dual slots... buy a bigger card lol! Unless you are motor driving all the time its really unnecessary, heck remember when you could only shoot 36 frames at a time?
Dual slots are not for space (generally), they are for insurance, or RAW+JPEG.
I would love two slots because, yeeeeaaah data can be recovered but it's hardly a nice experience... if I am shooting a wedding, I am setting the camera to write RAWs to both cards. One card goes bad? You still have the photos. Huge advantage.
10-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by limpet Quote
Optimistically trailed at $1300 for the body ....at an exchange rate of 1.6:1 ( $:£ ) I make that, using a back of a fag packet calculation....ermmmm, let`s see.........about £1300
I reckon £1,099, but you could be right.