Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I presume, that if this thing is like 1300 us, it will be around 1300€ in Finland...

10-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I own 14 guitars Gibby (cant play them, but do understand them) that looks an awful lot like a standard 1/4" jack to me

I also own guitars... only I do play them. I also play an electric piano with a quarter inch jack, have a music degree, and most importantly, worked in an electronic components store that sold quarter inch plugs and jacks in several variants... and that is NOT a 1/4" jack.
I'll admit it looks a touch larger than a 3.5mm, but it looks closer to 3.5mm than to 6.3mm, and besides, that would be the weirdest thing I'd ever seen on a camera. Why would they waste space with a 1/4" jack given that a) 1/4" jacks are normally reserved for fairly high end applications (i.e. guitars, good headphones, good amplifiers etc. have 1/4" jacks... computer screens have 3.5mm...) when seriously, how "high end" is the watching back of your videos going to be? It's not a home cinema... I'm amazed it has headphones at all! and b) you can get adapters. If anyone is in the 1% of people who will want to use this slot, and want to use it with a set of phones that only has 1/4"... there is an adapter for such a thing. The other 99% of people that either do not use the jack or have a normal set of headphones with a 3.5mm plug... they will want it to be a 3.5mm.
Haha, quarter inch jack... seriously man.
10-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #228
Pentaxian

By the time I buy it (if ever since there might be a ff next year) it'll be around €800
10-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #229

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I reckon £1,099, but you could be right.
Yeah, sorry, I was being a bit sarky as it seems that it always seems closer to a 1:1 dollar/ pound ratio than a 1.6:1 ( which would make it a trifle over £800 ). Assuming $1300 is accurate.
Although if you then add vat it would be £960 ish.

We`ll have to wait and see.

10-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #230

Loving the silver!
10-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #231
Veteran Member

So, bottom line is that Pentax is going after now. Their goal is to squash the higher end Lumix line which has become the unofficial official digital movie making machine for many. It's a new group of people for Pentax to say hello to.

Canon and Nikon will yawn at this. Panasonic probably feel like their funny bone got whacked. It doesn't hurt yet but it doesn't feel good either.
10-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I presume, that if this thing is like 1300 us, it will be around 1300€ in Finland...
Same here, european shops aren`t very good in recalculations, they just convert $$$ to €€€ like allways...

10-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
So, bottom line is that Pentax is going after now. Their goal is to squash the higher end Lumix line which has become the unofficial official digital movie making machine for many. It's a new group of people for Pentax to say hello to.

Canon and Nikon will yawn at this. Panasonic probably feel like their funny bone got whacked. It doesn't hurt yet but it doesn't feel good either.

Maybe, I don't know, but we really don't know anything more about this camera other than some higher resolution photos. Image quality and autofocus have yet to be disclosed.
10-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Maybe, I don't know, but we really don't know anything more about this camera other than some higher resolution photos. Image quality and autofocus have yet to be disclosed.
Exactly. I think we're still missing most of the crucial stuff.
10-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Good points. I think in terms of video quality and output the K-5 was better, but with Prime M the K-30 had AF in video and manual control over exposure. My main point was that I am hoping the video on the K-3 will be another area where you don't have to compromise one area of performance to gain somewhere else. Autofocus is another good example of this, potentially.
It had AF in video in the same way as the first camera phone could take photos. Yes, it was there, but was it usable? It needs to reach a certain level of quality/functionality before it is usable, and I think I tried it in the K-30 and thought... why bother? Now fokus peaking was certainly nice, and manual control over exposure too.

Give me focus peaking, decent video AF (i.e. smooth focusing, litte to no hunting, ... or just don't bother), manual controls, the CHOICE between MJPEG (as it exists in the K-5) and AVCHD/H264, the CHOICE between AGC (maybe with different settings) and manual gain, different frame rates, overlays on the screen for different aspect ratios, ... and I'm happy.

@wizofoz: Scale... yes, the plug looks the same pretty much to 1/8", but unless the K-3 is the size of a 645D... also that would also mean the microphone jack is a 1/4" one, and again, I can't see that happening (and it just doesn't look that big). In that case, why not go for XLR?

@6BQ5: What? Pentax obviously wants to earn money, yes. The cameras should be profitable. Is it going after something like the 70D or GF3? Ahem, no? I really, really doubt Pentax could go from "what's video?" to making a tool for professionals, that beats the much more experienced competition. If anything, Pentax will catch up, and that's all.
10-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
I also own guitars... only I do play them. I also play an electric piano with a quarter inch jack, have a music degree, and most importantly, worked in an electronic components store that sold quarter inch plugs and jacks in several variants... and that is NOT a 1/4" jack.
I'll admit it looks a touch larger than a 3.5mm, but it looks closer to 3.5mm than to 6.3mm, and besides, that would be the weirdest thing I'd ever seen on a camera. Why would they waste space with a 1/4" jack given that a) 1/4" jacks are normally reserved for fairly high end applications (i.e. guitars, good headphones, good amplifiers etc. have 1/4" jacks... computer screens have 3.5mm...) when seriously, how "high end" is the watching back of your videos going to be? It's not a home cinema... I'm amazed it has headphones at all! and b) you can get adapters. If anyone is in the 1% of people who will want to use this slot, and want to use it with a set of phones that only has 1/4"... there is an adapter for such a thing. The other 99% of people that either do not use the jack or have a normal set of headphones with a 3.5mm plug... they will want it to be a 3.5mm.
Haha, quarter inch jack... seriously man.
Quazi, i just took a photo of a standard 1/4 guitar jack against my k-5 body in the approximate position of 'the hump'. As far fetched as it seems to you, it looks to me to match the dimensions of the pics i've seen of the k-3 (supposed) headphone jack.

Perhaps with all your knowledge and equipment you could do the same and post the pic ( I would, but that means getting off my arse, going out to my office, downloading the photo, and posting it here, and seriously - the subject is not of such importance to me)

It is definitely way too large for a 3.5mm jack, and i'm not aware of a standard size between 3.5 and 6.3mm.

"Seriously man", i have almost zero need or interest in a stereo jack for video needs, but I asked the original question in a genuine open way. Scorn and laughter are not required.

Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself the appropriate question.
10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@6BQ5: What? Pentax obviously wants to earn money, yes. The cameras should be profitable. Is it going after something like the 70D or GF3? Ahem, no? I really, really doubt Pentax could go from "what's video?" to making a tool for professionals, that beats the much more experienced competition. If anything, Pentax will catch up, and that's all.
Why not? There's plenty of material for them to research and take apart, including the competitor's own camera to rip apart.

They may not achieve "pro" status here and they may not want to since that involves a services arm to deploy that they may not want to. But, I don't think Lumix has one. I don't know. Still, they can achieve "holy ****, that's awfully darn good!" and every video artist in the world will want one of these.
10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #238
Veteran Member

3.2" LCD - over 1 mill. dots, gapless tempered glass

ropen
ropen
Senior Member • Posts: 1,476
Like?
Re: So, now we know
In reply to turnschuh, 1 hour ago
turnschuh wrote:

Q: Size of Lcd screen?? Still 3"?

A: It is 3,2" with over 1M dots, gapeless like in the K-5 II and covered with tempered glass like in the 645D.

Radu
10-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #239
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
ropen
ropen
Senior Member • Posts: 1,476
Like?
Re: So, now we know
In reply to turnschuh, 1 hour ago
turnschuh wrote:

Q: Size of Lcd screen?? Still 3"?

A: It is 3,2" with over 1M dots, gapeless like in the K-5 II and covered with tempered glass like in the 645D.

Radu
Interesting. I presume the LCD panel is close to that of Nikon D7100: 8cm (3,2"), VGA (640 x 480 x 4 = 1,228,800 dots).

B y the way, the K-5 II LCD is also covered with tempered glass.

Last edited by Mistral75; 10-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.
10-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Gray, like you, i wear glasses, use the af button and and shoot with my left eye. I highly recommend the ome-53 diopter eyepiece. it gives me magnified view of the viewfinder, and gets my big hooter out of the road...
Thanks for the advice. I'll investigate. I absolutely hate that my eyes aren't what they were (in the 1970s!).