Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #256
Veteran Member

I don't think this camera will come anywhere near to the video capability that the GH3 (for instance) offers. It's much more in line with the D7100, which is a middling-to-good DSLR for video.

Anyway, K-3 looks great. As someone else said, there's something for everybody.

10-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

@wizofoz: Please take your K-5, and look at the microphone port. Can we agree that it looks pretty much identical to the photo of the side of the K-3? There is the small den't downwards, the size of the cover in relation to the mount for the neckstrap looks the same, the size of the cover in relation to the actual port looks the same.

Now, look at the headphone port. The bump itself looks like it could accomodate a 1/4" jack, yes. But the actual hole? Have you looked at the photo from the side that was posted in the first posting of this thread? It shows both ports uncovered, and it looks minimally larger than the hole for the microphone. The keyword is MINIMALLY. It could be an optical illusion, it could be the difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm. But from 3.5 to 6.3?! It would have to be TWICE the size. And sorry, but no way is it twice the size. So I think Pentax reduced the size of the microphone port to 2.5mm, and added a 3.5mm one for the headphone.

Hahahahahahaha.
kadajawi, I'm perfectly happy for the port to be smaller than 1\4" in fact I'd be perfectly happy for it not to be there at all, it has almost zero interest to me, .

I take your point that the internal diameter of the socket looks to you to be too small to be 6.3mm. it may well be so. (in fact in hindsight I think you are more likely to be correct) It just seems to me to be an awful lot of precious camera real estate to be given over to a plug/socket that is so small. With the purported additional height of the K-3 isn't there room under a redesigned flap to house the hdmi, pc/av, and dc power socket with another feature that the vast majority of Pentaxians wont use?

I'm quite happy to have my friendly questions and vague speculation shot down, Im not happy to be laughed at by someone I've not seen before.

The pentax engineers are genius in spatial ergonomics. They wouldn't put a hump there for no great reason.

only the actual specs or a camera in hand will tell the truth.
10-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
kadajawi, I'm perfectly happy for the port to be smaller than 1\4" in fact I'd be perfectly happy for it not to be there at all, it has almost zero interest to me, .

I take your point that the internal diameter of the socket looks to you to be too small to be 6.3mm. it may well be so. (in fact in hindsight I think you are more likely to be correct) It just seems to me to be an awful lot of precious camera real estate to be given over to a plug/socket that is so small. With the purported additional height of the K-3 isn't there room under a redesigned flap to house the hdmi, pc/av, and dc power socket with another feature that the vast majority of Pentaxians wont use?

I'm quite happy to have my friendly questions and vague speculation shot down, Im not happy to be laughed at by someone I've not seen before.

The pentax engineers are genius in spatial ergonomics. They wouldn't put a hump there for no great reason.

only the actual specs or a camera in hand will tell the truth.
I don't recall having laughed at you, if I did or it came across as such my appologies.

I would agree that there must be a reason why it was placed there, maybe there IS other stuff taking away space so they had to push out the socket like that. Maybe it is there for ergonomic reasons too. The K-5 already has a hump there, just a much smaller one. If you hold the camera so that your left thumb fits into the indention, it looks a lot like this area was designed to fit a thumb...and the stop of the area is meant to have space for your fingertip, so that you could easily reach the Fx button. But my thumb is simply not long enough to fully fill that area. The one on the K-3 however looks to be just right, the only thing that surprises me is that the Fx button hasn't moved, and is thus harder to reach. Then again, the ideal spot is taken by the AF mode button. I could also imagine that they had to push it out like that because this area is already full occupied in the K-5, and to add a headphone jack they needed to extend the camera. Also, the port needs to be weather sealed, which means it will take up a bigger area so that the seal has enough space. And finally: I'm not that bothered by them using up all this space at that point, cause it wouldn't make any difference in a camera bag if there is something or not.

Btw., I'd rather have the headphone port alone exposed than combining it with all the other stuff. HDMI, USB, DC etc. is meant to be used when stationary, at home etc. The headphone jack is meant to be used when on the go, when shooting. Having a big flap flapping around, exposing all those ports doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. On the other hand Pentax could offer a weather sealed headphone/earphone for the K-3, so you can shoot in the rain with an earphone plugged in.
10-05-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #259
Inactive Account

Looks like Ricoh hasn't paid any attention to, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200075-pentax-ricoh-de-cripple-k-mount-petition-26.html :(

10-05-2013, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Slice Of Light Quote
That's not going to sell them any new lenses is it.
10-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it's all forbidden, can we get an update in the OP with cached links?
10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it!
this new born will deserve many years like the old trusty k5.
thanks Ricoh.

10-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #263
Forum Member

Looks like an early Christmas present! It will be nice to see the specs and innovations of the new K-3.
10-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #264

Photos: Albums
Heres to hoping the D-BG4 still fits!
10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #265

They are teaching us to think Ricoh every time we look at our pictures on that LCD. Clever transitioning ploy.

If they make better cameras with less noise and better autofocus I won't complain.
10-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #266

diopter or audio adjust???

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Eh? I don't think this answers my question. The new K-3 has a big ol' diopter adjustment, whereas the K-5 had a little slide behind the eye cup.

What's the big dial good for? Adjusting on the fly for a bunch of magnifying eye cups?

Audio level adjust???
10-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #267
Veteran Member

No way the D-BG4 fits.
10-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #268
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
They are teaching us to think Ricoh every time we look at our pictures on that LCD.
10-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #269
Veteran Member

It looks like the metering pattern switch has been moved to a button. But there is still some switch there, concentric with the mode dial. Any thoughts what that might be?
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #270
Veteran Member

Look at the lever to switch AF to MF, it looks like it has a button that can be pressed just like the lever from Nikon's...

Last edited by richard balonglong; 10-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.