Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the diopter slide is still there and the dial is for zooming in.(wishful thinking)

10-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #287
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think silver and black look good on a retro styled camera, but when you apply it to a modern DSLR it looks like a cheap attempt at going retro.
I can assure you , there is nothing cheap looking or feeling about my X20 Silver/Black. Hold one, and it would be hard not to agree, it is "solid camera".
[IMG] [/IMG]

I like this new K-3, not sure I am in line to replace my K5 right away, but if there are some genuine improvements, for me, mainly in the area of fast and accurate focus, I could certainly visualize owning one....sooner than later!

From the DS forward I have generally been well pleased with the improvements on every new model, this looks like it would not break that string of contentment.

Regards!
10-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #288
Veteran Member

Well, not recently, anyway!
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I can assure you , there is nothing cheap looking or feeling about my X20 Silver/Black. Hold one, and it would be hard not to agree, it is "solid camera".
[/url] [/IMG]

I like this new K-3, not sure I am in line to replace my K5 right away, but if there are some genuine improvements, for me, mainly in the area of fast and accurate focus, I could certainly visualize owning one....sooner than later!

From the DS forward I have generally been well pleased with the improvements on every new model, this looks like it would not break that string of contentment.

Regards!
Again, part of the issue is that the Fuji X cameras are actually made of silver metal, while the K-5 and (presumably) K-3 models are painted with silver paint.

10-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Page 19 before I got up
This is a disadvantage of living on the West Coast
10-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #291
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Perhaps...just perhaps, Ricoh is proud of this product and want their name on it where it can be seen. As long as it says "Pentax" on the front in big friendly letters, I'm OK with it. After all, that's what people notice.
Maybe it should have 'Don't Panic' on the front of it in big friendly letters
10-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #292
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Depending on the final specs, if there is enough of an improvement over the K5, especially in low light situations, I'll take mine in black.

10-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Maybe it should have 'Don't Panic' on the front of it in big friendly letters
Ah, you caught the allusion
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #294
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Ah, you caught the allusion
I really enjoyed the books, and the movies . It also seemed appropriate given the discussions....

Very clever Mr Cynog
10-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
[/url] [/IMG]

Regards!
I agree that the Fuji, Olympus, and even the Panasonic GX-7 look good in silver & black.

I said it looked cheap on a modern DSLR. None of those cameras are DSLRs. All of those cameras were designed to have a retro camera look.

The K-3 is a DSLR of a modern design and painting it silver only looks like a cheap attempt at a retro style.
10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I hope the word 'Ricoh' will not be under the K-3 monitor.

Although we know Pentax is owned by Ricoh as Nikon is owned by Mitsubishi.....the word 'Mitsubishi' is nowhere to be found on Nikon equipment.
to me .. it seem like Ricoh feeling insecure .. - need to put their name on the body.
10-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #297
Forum Member

I don't understand this obsession with hating Ricoh. Why do we have a Ricoh vs Pentax attitude? As far I can tell Pentax is Ricoh! The K3 is a Ricoh Pentax. The front says Pentax and the back says Ricoh because its a Pentax of the Ricoh era. I have no issues with it. And if Ricoh can successfully revitalize the Pentax cameras I'm sure at the end we are going have fond memories of Ricoh Pentaxes. I'm okay with "Ricoh" on Pentax as long as Pentax improves.
10-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #298
Banned

Pentax is simply the K-mount and has been for decades. There's little left. So to hate Ricoh all of a sudden, who seems to be showing initiative, in small ways, is laughable. If anything, Ricoh hasn't even been given a chance yet to fail or prosper with the brand, which is why they should really not care for the old stalwarts of the old era.

They will hate everything and not buy anything. New customers are where it's at.
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #299
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I agree that the Fuji, Olympus, and even the Panasonic GX-7 look good in silver & black.

I said it looked cheap on a modern DSLR. None of those cameras are DSLRs. All of those cameras were designed to have a retro camera look.

The K-3 is a DSLR of a modern design and painting it silver only looks like a cheap attempt at a retro style.
I tend to agree with you on that Winder, and I would take my K-3 in Black. I was perfectly happy with my X10 Black, although there are some very nice improvements on the X20, but I mainly wanted the Silver/Black X20. Makes no sense, but heck, no one expects Rupert to make a lot of sense anyhow!

What I'd really like to have....brown leather and polished brass! Damn, that sends a tingle up my leg!

Best Regards!
10-05-2013, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #300
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh rescued Pentax from Hoya indifference, under-funding and quite possibly death. I want Ricoh features on my Pentax, especially focus peaking and snap focus. If Ricoh wants their name on the back, I'm totally OK with that.

Like someone else said, I didn't buy my first DSLR because it was a Pentax, I couldn't have cared less what name was on the body. Canon was initially at the top of my list because I loved my little A720. I bought Pentax because it was the best DSLR at the best price, and nothing I've seen since has made me want to switch.