Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 103 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #376

I am thinking that the headphone jack doubles as a flash cord port in addition to the PC sync.

10-05-2013, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is what Zvonimir Tosic posted a few minutes ago on DPR/Pentax (black font), replying to another poster (red font):

While everyone ooohs and aaaahs over the leaked K3 pictures and specs.. I am waiting to see the most important thing... photos taken with the K3.

Came from this morning's unofficial tour, and seeing the new K-3 in flesh. Black body. Together with several HD Ltd primes. The camera is being tested here in Melbourne, and that is almost an open secret. I know the guys who are testing it, they organise our meetings sometime, and know where they usually go to trial new cameras.
I can summarise in one sentence: K-3 will blow people's socks off. It's a landmark achievement for Pentax.

I I've read every post I can find regarding this camera and it seems....
they've upped the megapixels. Not always a good thing. Wait and see.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

they've added features for guys who shoot video. I don't shoot video.

Then the knob position for you will be on Photo, not on Video.
Case closed.

they've added another memory card slot. Ok

Yes, there is extra slot.

they've moved the buttons around. Always seem to do that, don't they?

Not always, not in the last 4 years. But K-3 is a big step forward in every way, so buttons must change. It a different league of a camera altogether — something on the outside must change.

they've done a bunch of other stuff.. USB 3.0, diopter change, viewfinder, etc..

And lots of internal stuff. Official anouncement comes early next week and no one must talk before that about details. You don't need to trust me, but not a single person in their right mind will find an excuse to claim that K-3 is a step-back from K-5II in any way.

In meantime, enjoy your K5IIs, and post some great pics.

Sounds great to me
10-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #378
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I've purchased gear from eGlobal a number of times over the last few years without any problems whatsoever. They are one of the fastest for delivery, last thing I ordered (Sekonic light meter) arrived in 3 days.
I use PayPal, so they don't get my CC card details.
And they are PayPal-fearing. One time they delayed delivery for more than 1 week because of their Chinese celebrations in Hon Kong. I initiated a PayPal dispute, after that they (or he? ) acted very quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
Zvonimir Tosic
And who is that btw?

Last edited by bvg; 10-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.
10-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greyser Quote
That is what Zvonimir Tosic posted a few minutes ago on DPR/Pentax (black font), replying to another poster (red font):

While everyone ooohs and aaaahs over the leaked K3 pictures and specs.. I am waiting to see the most important thing... photos taken with the K3.

Came from this morning's unofficial tour, and seeing the new K-3 in flesh. Black body. Together with several HD Ltd primes. The camera is being tested here in Melbourne, and that is almost an open secret. I know the guys who are testing it, they organise our meetings sometime, and know where they usually go to trial new cameras.
I can summarise in one sentence: K-3 will blow people's socks off. It's a landmark achievement for Pentax.

I I've read every post I can find regarding this camera and it seems....
they've upped the megapixels. Not always a good thing. Wait and see.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

they've added features for guys who shoot video. I don't shoot video.

Then the knob position for you will be on Photo, not on Video.
Case closed.

they've added another memory card slot. Ok

Yes, there is extra slot.

they've moved the buttons around. Always seem to do that, don't they?

Not always, not in the last 4 years. But K-3 is a big step forward in every way, so buttons must change. It a different league of a camera altogether — something on the outside must change.

they've done a bunch of other stuff.. USB 3.0, diopter change, viewfinder, etc..

And lots of internal stuff. Official anouncement comes early next week and no one must talk before that about details. You don't need to trust me, but not a single person in their right mind will find an excuse to claim that K-3 is a step-back from K-5II in any way.

In meantime, enjoy your K5IIs, and post some great pics.

Sounds great to me
Sounds definitely very promising. I've got the funds ready if everything falls in to place on Tuesday :-)

10-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #380

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Sounds definitely very promising. I've got the funds ready if everything falls in to place on Tuesday :-)
i wish it was that easy for me. I will have to sell my K-30 first.
10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #381
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And I just bought K-30 recently
Now with Ricoh announcing India presence, hopefully I will get hold of a K-3 locally at competitive prices as equivalent Canikons.
10-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #382

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
bought mine 2 months ago.

10-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #383

well then...what to do..a less-than-1 yr old K-5II...but this camera looks really nice. Or do i wait a year until the price drops, and/or a newer model comes out....hmmmm....
10-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #384
Inactive Account

Before taking out the plunge
1.) Wait for all the final specs and features
2.) Wait for some test reports
2.) Wait for 2nd production run after feedback from 1st group of buyers(field testers)

then maybe buy
10-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #385
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
I believe you can select where the RAW file goes and where the .jpeg goes (for the D7k I think this was the case; I think) .
Certainly you can do this on the D800 and the D3 - write RAW to one card, and JPEG to the other. Or use the second card as a back-up, or an overflow. I imagine it would be sensible for Pentax to do something very similar.
10-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Now with Ricoh announcing India presence, hopefully I will get hold of a K-3 locally at competitive prices as equivalent Canikons.
Glad to see that a Pentax presence is being established in a large country such as India. I would think because of the size of the population and growing middle class that this should be a significant market for Pentax.
10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #387
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Isn't Digital Camera Warehouse a grey market supplier?
No, DCW is a legitimate Pentax supplier and warranty is provided by Pentax Australia. (I did check it last year.)
10-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Slice Of Light Quote
Before taking out the plunge
1.) Wait for all the final specs and features
2.) Wait for some test reports
2.) Wait for 2nd production run after feedback from 1st group of buyers(field testers)

then maybe buy
This time I may only wait for 1)

If the specs are a green light for me and price too, I'll pull the trigger.

Ricoh has been preparing this one such a long time that I don't think they will screw things up.
10-05-2013, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #389
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Glad to see that a Pentax presence is being established in a large country such as India. I would think because of the size of the population and growing middle class that this should be a significant market for Pentax.
I can see the headline now "to celebrate their new presence in India, Ricoh/Pentax have dedicated the entire first years production of the K3 to be shipped to India"

Followed by "we understand our USA customers are naturally disappointed, but we also know that they are patient and used to waiting".........
10-05-2013, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #390
Pentaxian

I've heard things like blow socks off, or similar. What would blow my socks off?

Movie mode equivalent to the latest Canon, or very close.

A hybrid vf. All the advantages of OVF and EVF in one package not requiring me to hold the damn thing at the end of my arms.

AF that is flawless.

Fast responsive no delay in any operation. 6-8 fps is fine, as long as it is continuous 20-30 shots with a few seconds between bursts. No waiting for flushing buffers to view shots.

A working flash implementation in all modes and setups.

A couple of stops DR and noise improvement over the K5.

Excellent handling with all controls doing what you expect at places where your fingers can find them. The K5 is very good.

All for $1300.

I honestly don't expect all this, but I would expect no deal breaker shortcomings in any, ie. D7100 buffer.