Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Mass production doesn't work like that. In fact, I'd guess that the opposite is the case: having a broader feature set allows Ricoh/Pentax to reach a bigger market, and thereby reduce the overall cost per unit.
Reminds me in the 90's when I worked for General Motors: every car got a tilt steering column, but those who didn't pay for the option just didn't get the lever. The hole the lever went into was filled with plastic too, so you couldn't tell by looking. It was cheaper to give them the "more expensive" part than it was to change over the assembly line.

10-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I've heard things like blow socks off, or similar. What would blow my socks off?

Movie mode equivalent to the latest Canon, or very close.

A hybrid vf. All the advantages of OVF and EVF in one package not requiring me to hold the damn thing at the end of my arms.

AF that is flawless.

Fast responsive no delay in any operation. 6-8 fps is fine, as long as it is continuous 20-30 shots with a few seconds between bursts. No waiting for flushing buffers to view shots.

A working flash implementation in all modes and setups.

A couple of stops DR and noise improvement over the K5.

Excellent handling with all controls doing what you expect at places where your fingers can find them. The K5 is very good.

All for $1300.

I honestly don't expect all this, but I would expect no deal breaker shortcomings in any, ie. D7100 buffer.
Well said, Derek.
10-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Glad to see that a Pentax presence is being established in a large country such as India. I would think because of the size of the population and growing middle class that this should be a significant market for Pentax.
..if they price their products right. The DA*300 is for 150,000 INR, which equates to ~2300USD! I can import it from B&H, pay duty and still end up paying much less!
10-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #394
JKC
Inactive Account

Aps-c again... Really?

Can someone wake me up when they return to building a full-frame camera? You know, like the size of the 35mm film cameras they USED to build WAY back in the day to go with their old 35mm lenses... to compete with Nikon, Canon, etc... I'm still waiting Pentax.... and still yawning!

10-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Troll alert
10-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
If it says Ricoh, I will put tape over it.

10-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Troll alert
Yeah, all the symptoms are there

10-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #398
Veteran Member

I wonder if the K3 will use two XQD slots instead of SD??

That would give us very fast read write speeds....
10-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
I'd be very surprised if they did. For a start, they are pretty expensive, and we'd all need a new card reader (unless we already have a Nikon D4).
10-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'd be very surprised if they did. For a start, they are pretty expensive, and we'd all need a new card reader (unless we already have a Nikon D4).
Or just supply a card reader with the camera...

The D4 came out with a 32GB card and reader from what I remember?
10-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt that Pentax will increase the Flash sync speed this time round - Unless Ricoh decided to completely re-design the shutter mechanism.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
DPR seems strangely silent about this camera. Do you think it likely they'll publish a hands on mini-review on the day of the announcement?
DPR have never held Pentax in as high regard as Nikon and Canon. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a delay in any official reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA:
In my mind a Dual XQD card interface would make more sense with a refresh of the 645D. Those files certainly could use the improved transfer rate, and with the increased bandwidth it would be possible to bolster the FPS of the 645D to 3FPS

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-06-2013 at 12:04 AM.
10-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Three pictures of K-3 posted by Digital Camera Info:

Information about prices and images of the front, side and back of the Pentax K-3 - Digital Camera Info

1/ It's a headphone jack behind the bump
2/ There is "Ricoh" written on the back, under the LCD screen.

They say US prices will be around $1,300 body only and $1,650 together with DA 18-135.
Pentax probably fixed the AF trouble of the K5, at last.
24MP is quite a large pixel density in APS-C - larger files, not really more detail.

It will be interesting to know whether there will be two card slots and whether the K5 battery grip will fit. Old design appears to survive so old accessories should survive as well.
The K3 so far looks like a slightly improved K5II which only solved some trouble present in the K5. The K3 is at least one year late. To make up for this delay the next K camera should be around the corner assuming that Ricoh has a decent marketing plan. Currently we only see improvement and not much innovation. Innovation often shows up when a camera is officially presented, so let's see what else the K3 can do.

The news lens is no revelation looking at the specs... the good news is that there is more space on the roadmap now for interesting lenses.
10-06-2013, 12:29 AM - 2 Likes   #403
Pentaxian

The size of 35mm file cameras!

QuoteOriginally posted by JKC Quote
Can someone wake me up when they return to building a full-frame camera? You know, like the size of the 35mm film cameras they USED to build WAY back in the day to go with their old 35mm lenses... to compete with Nikon, Canon, etc... I'm still waiting Pentax.... and still yawning!
Neither Nikon nor Canon build a "full-frame" digital camera "the size of the 35mm film cameras they USED to build WAY back in the day to go with their old 35mm lenses". Modern full frame cameras are huge, many times larger than my old Olympus OM1 35mm film camera. Every electronic device these days is tiny compared to the size of the 1960s equivalent ... except for SLR full-frame cameras. Why is everyone so keen to lug around those monsters? APS-C still has a major role, and will for some years, at least till someone (Pentax?) can shrink FF to a more practical size. And the lenses ....; I love my tiny (APS-C only) DA Limiteds.
10-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Neither Nikon nor Canon build a "full-frame" digital camera "the size of the 35mm film cameras they USED to build WAY back in the day to go with their old 35mm lenses". Modern full frame cameras are huge, many times larger than my old Olympus OM1 35mm film camera. Every electronic device these days is tiny compared to the size of the 1960s equivalent ... except for SLR full-frame cameras. Why is everyone so keen to lug around those monsters? APS-C still has a major role, and will for some years, at least till someone (Pentax?) can shrink FF to a more practical size. And the lenses ....; I love my tiny (APS-C only) DA Limiteds.
Very true. Mind you, the F5 and EOS 1 were HUGE, so in some sense, I guess that Nikon and Canon do make FF DSLRs that are the same size as (some) 35mm film cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
10-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
I believe the buffer is the main issue to be honest. What you are suggesting is a sort of `RAID` of SD' s.
Yep except there wwould be a major difference with a Raid0 setup: you'd still be able to read a card by itself. A true Raid0 is sending packets not whole files so the the individual disks (or card) or NOT readable by themselves (without the other one).

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
I believe you can select where the RAW file goes and where the .jpeg goes (for the D7k I think this was the case; I think) .
Yep, look at 645D manual, it is very configurable.