Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I can see the headline now "to celebrate their new presence in India, Ricoh/Pentax have dedicated the entire first years production of the K3 to be shipped to India"
Chuckle!

I haven't been to India since the 1980s. I enjoyed the trip. Perhaps it is time to go again - and just happen to bring back a new camera!

10-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #407
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
For me, what I see for now, is ok. But I'm waiting for a WiFi and thetering, to control the camera from a tablet or smartphone. If there are here, is something close to perfect
The fact of it not having an articulating screen just about kills it for me, but if it does not have tethering, for me it would be a waste of money !

wll
10-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It will be interesting to know whether there will be two card slots and whether the K5 battery grip will fit. Old design appears to survive so old accessories should survive as well.

The news lens is no revelation looking at the specs... the good news is that there is more space on the roadmap now for interesting lenses.
There is a new battery grip - BG-5.

Why is there more space on the roadmap now? That new lens wasn't even on the roadmap.
10-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #409
Inactive Account

All this fuss about video yet no articulated screen, which would be an obvious improvement for all. Very strange. Still hoping for a price break on a K-5IIS after these revelations.

10-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #410
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
There is a new battery grip - BG-5.
You have a source on this, Barry? AFAIC judging by the pics I`ve seen D-BG4 and D-BG5 look pretty much the same.
10-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #411
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve7527 Quote
All this fuss about video yet no articulated screen, which would be an obvious improvement for all. Very strange.
It is indeed very strange: that you should think this was an obvious improvement *for all*. It would make the screen more prone to failure, more difficult to weather seal and would make the body bigger, which are all fundamentally against Pentax's design philosophy for their flagship DSLR. I also imagine the possibility of tethering in the K-3 would make it redundant for anyone who is serious about video anyway.

What you mean is some people (including you) think it would be neat.
10-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
You have a source on this, Barry? AFAIC judging by the pics I`ve seen D-BG4 and D-BG5 look pretty much the same.
Similar, but not the same. Look at the detente pins. On the D-BG4 there are both the same size, but on the D-BG5 one is thinner, and one is thicker than those of the D-BG4. As such they are quite deliberately incompatible.

10-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
I have no source other than the images of the new grip.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Similar, but not the same. Look at the detente pins. On the D-BG4 there are both the same size, but on the D-BG5 one is thinner, and one is thicker than those of the D-BG4. As such they are quite deliberately incompatible.
I don't know about "deliberately", but I do fear "incompatible".

(For me, the problem isn't so much the price, it is that my main camera and my back-up camera would have different grips, which is more to carry around. This hasn't happened for my last 2 cameras).
10-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The D7100 has a muchhhhhh better AF module (improved over the one from the D300), and a crop mode that covers the image w/ all the AF points. And I'd bet the D7100 has better video since we already know the K-3's processor can only do 1080/30p
I'd say it's a wash given what we know so far...I'd also agree it'd be stupid to price it above Nikon's D7100...
My question has more to do with buffer size, because the D7100 feels pretty skimpy in that regard.

As to auto focus, it will be fast for a Pentax, which probably won't be as good as a D7100, but probably fast enough for most folks.
10-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #415
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
For me, the problem isn't so much the price, it is that my main camera and my back-up camera would have different grips, which is more to carry around. This hasn't happened for my last 2 cameras
But it did happen for the model before that. The K10D used the D-BG2 because the body had a different footprint from the K-7/K-5, as does the K-3. The button layout is also different, so making the D-BG5 deliberately incompatible makes complete sense.
10-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #416
Veteran Member

I have been holding out upgrading from my K-7 to the K-5 and then K-5II/IIs (I admit we do have the K-01 and K-30 but that's a different story).....and I am excited about the new K-3.

Does anyone have any rumours re. the no. of AF points on this K-3?
10-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #417
Pentaxian

24 or 25 all cross type apparently.
10-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #418
Veteran Member

25 all cross type AF points? I hope that is not a typo.....sounds great!
10-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #419
Veteran Member

I heard 27, but I have nothing to substantiate this.
10-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #420
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two days people. Shouldn't we just wait?