Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #466

QuoteOriginally posted by jbratch Quote
I'm really hoping for better video. I recently shot a short film with the K-5 IIs, and really had mixed feelings about it. The first issue is lack of control over the image - I can't control the shutter speed in video mode, unless I use AE lock - and that is a crude hack at best. The second issue is overheating. If I take more than a few minutes to set up a shot - which is not uncommon - I get the thermometer icon, and have to shut down for a few minutes. Not good. Then there is the time limit - not sure how much I should be able to get, but on a 32GB card, it's less than 8 minutes continuous, and I suspect it is a 2GB or 4GB filesize limit. That's ok for narrative, but would never fly for a live event camera. Regardless, I have my doubts that it could record for 8 minutes without overheating anyway. Finally, the video codec is not the strongest. I see they have moved to MPEG4 or AVC (or maybe AVC in a MPEG4 wrapper? Still not clear on this). That's a good sign, as the higher compression is designed to get more video onto a card, which *should* mean longer recording times.

So I am happy to see better video features in the K-3 (headphone jack, loss of dedicated video mode, better codecs). I am currently contemplating the purchase of either a GH3 or a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera for dedicated video. These are both micro-four thirds solutions, which means I end up carrying around a bunch of lenses just for video (yes, I have adapters, but modern AF lenses are typically less than ideal for video, especially when they are adapted). Personally, I would love nothing more than for the K-3 to match the Nikon D7100 (or better it) in video quality and features - then maybe I could finally say goodbye to micro-four thirds, instead of constantly asking myself if switching back to Pentax for the better still image quality was the right choice...
Well at least they seem to be trying.

10-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
This frequently repeated opinion is incorrect. There is no camera on the market that is a worthy competitor to dslrs in the same price bracket.
then, live with it´s limitations
10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #468
Veteran Member

The point is that one does not have to live with pentax's limitations, because canon has been providing better video solutions since 2008. This is why video will be the deciding factor for some people.
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #469
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The point is that one does not have to live with pentax's limitations, because canon has been providing better video solutions since 2008. This is why video will be the deciding factor for some people.
But worse still image quality in most of their cameras unless you're going to drop 5k.

10-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #470
Veteran Member

Seems very video-orientated, which I can use, but it's not my first priority. I'm a bit surprised they havn't done a vari angle lcd.
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #471
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just that headphone jack, and still/video switch is saying that this baybe is gonna be good on video too. Otherwise noreason for those. I could think of some sorta combination of K5IIs and K-01. Now These specs haven't been leaked, so that might be the big thing waiting. No? With video switch at back, leaves M mode available from up, and other modes too, right?
10-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #472
Veteran Member

I agree, I'm surprised Ricoh left out vari angle lcd on Pentax K-3.
Canon did it with 60D & again with the newly launched $1,199 Canon 70D:

Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera (Body Only) 8469B002 B&H Photo Video

Still wished this Ricoh/Pentax bi-logo'd crop body was full frame, then I'd consider buying K-3.
For less coin I'm considering 70D just to have one dslr with vari angle lcd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Seems very video-orientated, which I can use, but it's not my first priority. I'm a bit surprised they havn't done a vari angle lcd.

10-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #473

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
@jbratch you should definetely buy a dedicated video camera and not waste time with hybrid stills - video camera...
It's not that easy - to get the same image quality out of the best $1500-ish DSLRs - assuming you have the lenses already - you would need to spend at least $4000 on a dedicated camcorder. For that, you either get a really nice 3x 1/3" sensor setup, or the same sensor from a DLSR, but in a more traditional camcorder body. The codec will rarely be better at that price point though, so it's a wash feature-wise, unless you need an all-in-one unit as opposed to the component systems that make up most DSLR rigs.
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #474
Pentaxian

So, there is again this baffle with variangle LCD.. For me it is whole lot better to have it like this.

Edit: and I still do wonder, why anyone makes commersial act like that, from Caanon, to K-3 specs tread?
10-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve7527 Quote
All this fuss about video yet no articulated screen, which would be an obvious improvement for all. Very strange. Still hoping for a price break on a K-5IIS after these revelations.
Yet another complaint about the "missing" articulated screen ... ...
Rumours are still rumours until official news come out and, if this is so important to you, go and buy into another brand.

JP
10-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #476

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So, there is again this baffle with variangle LCD.. For me it is whole lot better to have it like this.

Edit: and I still do wonder, why anyone makes commersial act like that, from Caanon, to K-3 specs tread?
I can think of a couple of reasons that you might like one...

Are you shooting something that makes getting your eye to the viewfinder difficult (macro shots come to mind)? If so, an articulating LCD and live view helps quite a bit.

Is your camera somewhere that the LCD might get roughed up or scratched, such as in my camera bag at the end of a long day? No problem - turn the LCD around and forget about it
10-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
"They have eyes, but do not see" (Psalm 135:16)

See also the two pins, one on the front right, the other one on the back left: they have the same diameter on D-BG4

whilst on D-BG5 the front one is thicker and the back one thinner:
I wonder if we'd be able to somehow "tweak" the D-BG4 to fit this K3 ?
They are seemingly so very close in size.

JP
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #478
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, better AF, better IQ, actually usable user modes, dual card slots... What's not to like?

Sure, I don't want or need any video functions, but so what? Nobody's forcing me to use them. I don't need the jpeg engine either, but I don't cry over it being there.

I great camera made better. And the specs are yet not confirmed.

That said, I'll stick to my K-5.

I think...
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbratch Quote
I can think of a couple of reasons that you might like one...

Are you shooting something that makes getting your eye to the viewfinder difficult (macro shots come to mind)? If so, an articulating LCD and live view helps quite a bit.

Is your camera somewhere that the LCD might get roughed up or scratched, such as in my camera bag at the end of a long day? No problem - turn the LCD around and forget about it
Thanks!

Yea, These circumstanses are quite rare for me, and when I need to get down with cam. I actually like it. I have been playing around with camera which has this kind a screen. It has it's perks, but I prefer fixed one. Makes me feel confident.
10-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I agree, I'm surprised Ricoh left out vari angle lcd on Pentax K-3.
Canon did it with 60D & again with the newly launched $1,199 Canon 70D:

Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera (Body Only) 8469B002 B&H Photo Video

Still wished this Ricoh/Pentax bi-logo'd crop body was full frame, then I'd consider buying K-3.
For less coin I'm considering 70D just to have one dslr with vari angle lcd.
Seems like Pentax will not fit your bill !
1. Not full frame
2. no vari-angle screen
3. Canon has it ....
Suggestion: buy a Canon.

... forgot to ask: which Pentax camera are you presently using?

JP