Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #166
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Because K-3 isn't the only body in the forthcoming lineup!
Note that this is the advanced enthusiast model clearly stated in K-3 marketing material.
There is still a pro-body to come, and also another one, below the K-3, that will be two-toned as an outright option.

Additionally, K-3 in silver/black "limited option" may be limited just for now. If there's demand, who knows ...
Uluru, what's the time frame on the 2 other bodies?
Thanks

10-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #167
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 212
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Because K-3 isn't the only body in the forthcoming lineup!
Note that this is the advanced enthusiast model clearly stated in K-3 marketing material.
There is still a pro-body to come, and also another one, below the K-3, that will be two-toned as an outright option.
Is that speculation or knowledge? I would have thought that the K5-II would remain as the model below while a pro body would be either a 645D2 or the (so far) mythical K1 FF.

I like a lot of the upgrades in the K-3 but none of them are a killer feature that would make me upgrade from my K-5. Throw in the silver option as well and I'm getting interested. Unfortunately the grip is of no use to me as I don't need the extra battery life and prefer a smaller camera anyway (blame the MX for that). I'd just prefer to take my time to evaluate the K-3 rather than rush into buying it just so I can get the "limited edition" silver.
10-07-2013, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,048
I have a cunning plan.

I recently commented on another thread that a friend of mine is giving me his ZX-M, I should have it sometime this week.



I know you can see where I am going with this

If suddenly that camera turned into the silver K-3 (with lens attached you can't see the mount color) - would the wife notice?
10-07-2013, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Uluru, what's the time frame on the 2 other bodies?
Thanks
Santa sometimes comes in January too

10-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,439
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Santa sometimes comes in January too
If the pro body really will be announced that soon then I may just wait for that model if the price difference ends up being only $400-$600 more. Either way it doesn't really hurt to wait a bit.
10-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,090
Call me mad, but I've just pre-ordered the SE version. Anybody else taken the plunge yet?
10-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #172
Pentaxian
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
Saved by Brake Failure!

My brakes failed today and saved me from buying one of these cameras..

$800 gone from my savings for repairs. I was intending to sell off a Nikon 300mm and all of my Pentax gear to finish of my D800E kit with a decent telephoto but this K-3 has been very tempting. I'm not all that rational when it comes to cameras and so there was a danger of hitting Buy Now on CRK's Pentax Store, but the need to have a working car put paid to that fantasy.
10-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #173
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Call me mad, but I've just pre-ordered the SE version. Anybody else taken the plunge yet?
I think Ron Hendriks and some other guy did.

10-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #174
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My brakes failed today and saved me from buying one of these cameras..

$800 gone from my savings for repairs. I was intending to sell off a Nikon 300mm and all of my Pentax gear to finish of my D800E kit with a decent telephoto but this K-3 has been very tempting. I'm not all that rational when it comes to cameras and so there was a danger of hitting Buy Now on CRK's Pentax Store, but the need to have a working car put paid to that fantasy.
What's wrong with your brakes??? Fortunately I know a guy who services my car in his spare time. So I just need to buy the brake discs and pads myself and he mounts them for only EUR 40 (the brakes & pads are only EUR 100 in total for the front brakes).
10-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #175
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What's wrong with your brakes??? Fortunately I know a guy who services my car in his spare time. So I just need to buy the brake discs and pads myself and he mounts them for only EUR 40 (the brakes & pads are only EUR 100 in total for the front brakes).
There is more to a car`s braking system, Peter. Disks and pad are cheap (for normal cars) but main brakecylinders, auxillery brakecylinders, ABS parts, etc are usually not that cheap and require a lot of work (manhours).
10-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #176
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
There is more to a car`s braking system, Peter. Disks and pad are cheap (for normal cars) but main brakecylinders, auxillery brakecylinders, ABS parts, etc are usually not that cheap and require a lot of work (manhours).
No to mention that properly maintaining brakes means resurfacing the rotors (or drums if so equipped) when you replace the pads/shoes. Putting new pads on a worn rotor leads to very poor braking until the pads "wear-in" to the surface of a worn rotor (same with drums/shoes). You are taking a huge risk to your life and others by doing this. Also, rotors and drums can be resurfaced only so many times before they need to be replaced.

Sorry, but you've done something incredibly wrong if you need to spend $800 on a one-time brake repair, unless you have an ABS unit or another expensive part fail at the same time as your brakes wear out.
10-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #177
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Santa sometimes comes in January too
Thanks, sounds good, my birthday is in Feb!
10-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #178
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
No to mention that properly maintaining brakes means resurfacing the rotors (or drums if so equipped) when you replace the pads/shoes. Putting new pads on a worn rotor leads to very poor braking until the pads "wear-in" to the surface of a worn rotor (same with drums/shoes). You are taking a huge risk to your life and others by doing this. Also, rotors and drums can be resurfaced only so many times before they need to be replaced.

Sorry, but you've done something incredibly wrong if you need to spend $800 on a one-time brake repair, unless you have an ABS unit or another expensive part fail at the same time as your brakes wear out.
Machining used disks isn`t a common practice overhere anymore, I think this is due to ventilated disks which have a thinner surface to machine. Usually they state a "brake in" periode (200miles or something) for proper wear-in.

As for your last remark: That depends on the car, for instance some Porsche`s have ceramic disks
10-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #179
Veteran Member
cbope's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
As for your last remark: That depends on the car, for instance some Porsche`s have ceramic disks
I assume if someone is complaining about an $800 brake repair, it's not likely a Porsche owner

And if you are a Porsche owner, you should have been aware that repairs are going to cost a bit more than a Chevy before you even bought it.
10-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #180
Veteran Member
TenZ.NL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Below sealevel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,100
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I assume if someone is complaining about an $800 brake repair, it's not likely a Porsche owner

And if you are a Porsche owner, you should have been aware that repairs are going to cost a bit more than a Chevy before you even bought it.
I think you misunderstood my point, the Porsche was merely a funny example of not all brakerotors being the same price. Nowadays many cars have ventilated frontdisks which cost more than plain solid ones. Besides he`s talking about a failure that for all I know involves another part of the system and because he need the car quick he brought it to a workshop.
We don`t know, don`t we?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-3, pentax news, pentax rumors, silver
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: MX, Super/Program Plus, KX, KM, K1000's, Spotmatic F's & SP's, SP1000, SF1N, MZ-7 MightyMike Sold Items 166 12-29-2014 01:13 PM
K-30 Body (in Black/White/Silver/Orange and Other Colors) for $479USD! frank Pentax Price Watch 19 03-26-2013 09:19 PM
Silver K-r in USA UnknownVT Pentax K-r 6 04-03-2012 09:45 PM
Silver/Black K-r body? VincenTC Pentax K-r 3 01-18-2011 01:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top