Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Call me mad, but I've just pre-ordered the SE version. Anybody else taken the plunge yet?
I think Ron Hendriks and some other guy did.

10-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My brakes failed today and saved me from buying one of these cameras..

$800 gone from my savings for repairs. I was intending to sell off a Nikon 300mm and all of my Pentax gear to finish of my D800E kit with a decent telephoto but this K-3 has been very tempting. I'm not all that rational when it comes to cameras and so there was a danger of hitting Buy Now on CRK's Pentax Store, but the need to have a working car put paid to that fantasy.
What's wrong with your brakes??? Fortunately I know a guy who services my car in his spare time. So I just need to buy the brake discs and pads myself and he mounts them for only EUR 40 (the brakes & pads are only EUR 100 in total for the front brakes).
10-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What's wrong with your brakes??? Fortunately I know a guy who services my car in his spare time. So I just need to buy the brake discs and pads myself and he mounts them for only EUR 40 (the brakes & pads are only EUR 100 in total for the front brakes).
There is more to a car`s braking system, Peter. Disks and pad are cheap (for normal cars) but main brakecylinders, auxillery brakecylinders, ABS parts, etc are usually not that cheap and require a lot of work (manhours).
10-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
There is more to a car`s braking system, Peter. Disks and pad are cheap (for normal cars) but main brakecylinders, auxillery brakecylinders, ABS parts, etc are usually not that cheap and require a lot of work (manhours).
No to mention that properly maintaining brakes means resurfacing the rotors (or drums if so equipped) when you replace the pads/shoes. Putting new pads on a worn rotor leads to very poor braking until the pads "wear-in" to the surface of a worn rotor (same with drums/shoes). You are taking a huge risk to your life and others by doing this. Also, rotors and drums can be resurfaced only so many times before they need to be replaced.

Sorry, but you've done something incredibly wrong if you need to spend $800 on a one-time brake repair, unless you have an ABS unit or another expensive part fail at the same time as your brakes wear out.

10-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Santa sometimes comes in January too
Thanks, sounds good, my birthday is in Feb!
10-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
No to mention that properly maintaining brakes means resurfacing the rotors (or drums if so equipped) when you replace the pads/shoes. Putting new pads on a worn rotor leads to very poor braking until the pads "wear-in" to the surface of a worn rotor (same with drums/shoes). You are taking a huge risk to your life and others by doing this. Also, rotors and drums can be resurfaced only so many times before they need to be replaced.

Sorry, but you've done something incredibly wrong if you need to spend $800 on a one-time brake repair, unless you have an ABS unit or another expensive part fail at the same time as your brakes wear out.
Machining used disks isn`t a common practice overhere anymore, I think this is due to ventilated disks which have a thinner surface to machine. Usually they state a "brake in" periode (200miles or something) for proper wear-in.

As for your last remark: That depends on the car, for instance some Porsche`s have ceramic disks
10-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #172
Veteran Member

As for your last remark: That depends on the car, for instance some Porsche`s have ceramic disks
I assume if someone is complaining about an $800 brake repair, it's not likely a Porsche owner

And if you are a Porsche owner, you should have been aware that repairs are going to cost a bit more than a Chevy before you even bought it.

10-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #173
Veteran Member

I assume if someone is complaining about an $800 brake repair, it's not likely a Porsche owner

And if you are a Porsche owner, you should have been aware that repairs are going to cost a bit more than a Chevy before you even bought it.
I think you misunderstood my point, the Porsche was merely a funny example of not all brakerotors being the same price. Nowadays many cars have ventilated frontdisks which cost more than plain solid ones. Besides he`s talking about a failure that for all I know involves another part of the system and because he need the car quick he brought it to a workshop.
We don`t know, don`t we?
10-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #174
Veteran Member

In my experience, Porsche owners fall into two categories-the crazy rich that want the status and the crazy enthusiast that will scrimp and save and search for a well-cared for used model.
10-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #175
Forum Member

I think Ron Hendriks and some other guy did.
Guilty of ordering as well.....
10-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
Guilty of ordering as well.....
Lol, the other guy ís you, Mike
10-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
With the silver and the leather strap, to me it looks like an old man's camera!
That's terrible! But since I'm geezerly anyway I'm all for it.

NaCl(if the shoe fits and all)H2O
10-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #178
Forum Member

Lol, the other guy ís you, Mike
I had a gut feeling it was Jacco ;-)
10-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #179

Sexy beast!!!!
10-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
With the silver and the leather strap, to me it looks like an old man's camera!
I fully expect this camera to outlast me!