Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
I had a gut feeling it was Jacco ;-)
It`s a small world (esp. in Pentaxcountry)

10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After my K-01 preorder debacle (never, ever, EVER again) -- don't get me wrong, I love the camera but -- I cut some rarely used lenses out of the back of the cabinet and put the first set of twenties in the envelope. This time I'm not buying until I can pay cash. Maybe Thanksgiving. You guys can have the silver paint.
10-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i'm guilty, ordered the silver. But if the demand is high, they may make more like they did the last time.
I'm now trying to figure out what lenses to get. I like the lens but the screw drive is driving me nuts in quiet environments.
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #184
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Because K-3 isn't the only body in the forthcoming lineup!
Note that this is the advanced enthusiast model — clearly stated in K-3 marketing material.
There is still a pro-body to come, and also another one, below the K-3, that will be two-toned as an outright option.

Additionally, K-3 in silver/black "limited option" may be limited just for now. If there's demand, who knows ...
Well any other pro-body can only mean full frame or 645D, since in aps-c the K-3 is clearly the pro-body.

Maybe a K-5 III with some off the futures off the K-3 and the 16mp sensor would be a great inbetween body.

10-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
With the silver and the leather strap, to me it looks like an old man's camera!
It's pseudo vintage and pseudo vintage is IN, haven't you noticed?

I'm only half kidding. You have tons of people out there deliberately using older things as well as their modern tech gear. They're supposedly discontinuing film because no one wants it and yet film camera clubs are springing up anyway? It's mostly the kids doing it too. My nieces like digital for the convenience but they're more into their FILM cameras than they are their digital ones. No kidding, and the fact that they have actual vintage film cameras and use them has made them points at school. My one niece she wants to learn to develop in B&W and she's not the only one at her school. There's no photo club per se there yet, but they're talking about it, and if they do go there they may just put in a darkroom because a lot of the kids asking about a club want to do it.

I know the guy who runs the photography program at a local college. A while back they lifted the ban on people using digital SLR in Photography and they're officially not requiring old style developing lab work but all of a sudden the students are asking more and more about it. They actually want to learn how to develop and use film. I think it's coming about because of the Steampunk movement. It started in literature and clothing, even went into music and even dolls. (Monster High even has a Steampunk character. Robecca Steam...) It's totally going mainstream. It's got some kids looking at antique machinery with new eyes, including old cameras. It's suddenly a bit "cool" to be using things like typewriters and old cameras sometimes, for new things to at least look retro.

I like it, that they're interested, except for the fact that it's really increasing prices on all the antique things I like to collect. It's not so easy now for me to buy Victorian clothing for instance, as it used to be. This version of the camera it kind of fits in with that aesthetic. I don't think they're trying too much to be modern here on purpose. They want to appeal to all the people who are into older cams or who at least have a nostalgic association with them...
10-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the camera in silver, but not the grip - and together I think it looks a bit plasticky in silver. That's on the screen. In person, it could be pretty. Silver's tough to depict.
10-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #187
Veteran Member

I'm keen to see what the silver version looks like in person but in order to do that I'd probably need to go to SRS... and I just don't have the time!

10-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I like the camera in silver, but not the grip - and together I think it looks a bit plasticky in silver. That's on the screen. In person, it could be pretty. Silver's tough to depict.
Exactly - if it has a kind of andonised look it could be very nice in person - but, as you say, could look plasticky. It looks very nice in the shot of it on it's back with the leather strap.
10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They're supposedly discontinuing film because no one wants it and yet film camera clubs are springing up anyway? It's mostly the kids doing it too. My nieces like digital for the convenience but they're more into their FILM cameras than they are their digital ones.
I heartily endorse this keenness for film cameras. I have a collection of about 50, from a 1937 Leica to a 2002 Pentax MZ-S, and I'd love to see them go up in value! More seriously, I think it's heartening to hear about the young people's interest in photography in general and film in particular. It can only be a good thing for the hobby/profession.
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Exactly - if it has a kind of andonised look it could be very nice in person - but, as you say, could look plasticky. It looks very nice in the shot of it on it's back with the leather strap.
I hope it matches the finish on the silver Limited lenses. That is superb.