Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #226
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
The flucard sounds to good to be true. I wonder what else they can squeeze into the card in future versions. Maybe a gps unit?
What about the grip? Does it have a real slot in the grip? That would allow the flucard without having to sacrifice a card slot.
I just looked at the reviews of the Flucard apps in Google Play store. The average rating is 1.5 stars.

10-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
The tracking part is already improved on K-30, K-50 and K-5 IIs. They have an optional function to ignore background or something in the foreground. When they do tracking in this mode, objects on the same distance has priority. If you loose your object, they search on the same distance to find the object again and will not focus on the background og foreground immediately, but wait a second before they do.
How is that set in the K-5IIs? (I missed that one!)
10-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This question may have already been asked and answerred somewhere. There's just so many posts now! Any information on the rumored 40mp through sensor-shift-trick?! Because that would be a very nice feature, if it can save the aligned files in RAW. And I see the K-3 now can save the HDR images in RAW too, so...
I've seen a rumour elsewhere that the AA sensor-shift works by vibrating the sensor very fast, hence during one exposure. It doesn't take multiple exposures.

But that may be a totally different topic from the one you are asking about. Like you, I've lost track of the rumours, and may have to resort to waiting for facts!
10-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
As long as people buy it, what do you care?
From your response I'll assume that you like the silver version, which I felt was tacky, especially the grip. And whilst the K-01 was forever lambasted as ugly, I felt it was a nice little camera (for what it was meant to be) and in no way looked as cheap as this silver K-3 in the shots shown so far.

10-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Congratulations! Everytime I try to catch one of those i get frustrated after 5 - 10 minutes! I gave up trying with the Sigma 150-500 and tried the Fa*300 but have never caught one this sharp.
Frustrating indeed...one time I allmost threw my gear into the water
But then again, the 150-500 is also kinda slow.

The tracking part is already improved on K-30, K-50 and K-5 IIs. They have an optional function to ignore background or something in the foreground. When they do tracking in this mode, objects on the same distance has priority. If you loose your object, they search on the same distance to find the object again and will not focus on the background og foreground immediately, but wait a second before they do.
I knew it was improved on those bodies but to my knowledge it was not really significant. I guess I missed that part, thanks for the intel.
With this new AFsystem it will be even more impressive for me compared to the K5.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 10-07-2013 at 01:19 AM.
10-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I've seen a rumour elsewhere that the AA sensor-shift works by vibrating the sensor very fast, hence during one exposure. It doesn't take multiple exposures.
Well, the rumor about the 40mp by sensor-shift-trick didn't mention multiple exposures. Only: "Plus a senzor glide shift operating mode to capture 40MP files with amazing clarity — stuff that was rezerved for MF so far." That it required multiple exposures was assumed and ranted about lots by us PF members as the most probably method.

It was quickly concluded that such a feature would only be useful it the files will be saved in RAW. And not in JPG-only like the K-5's HDR feature with which this feature was compared... But now I see from the K-3 specs that it will be able to save the HDR to RAW!

But that may be a totally different topic from the one you are asking about. Like you, I've lost track of the rumours, and may have to resort to waiting for facts!
Waiting for facts? I don't understand...
10-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How is that set in the K-5IIs? (I missed that one!)
Page 115 in the manual.

"When Expanded area AF is set .........."

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5-2.pdf

Turn Expanded area on
Use AF.C
And use "select focus point" (do not use single center point or auto select)

Last edited by StigVidar; 10-07-2013 at 01:30 AM.
10-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Page 115 in the manual.

"When Expanded area AF is set .........."

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5-2.pdf
Thanks. I already have that set. I didn't interpret the manual in the way you expressed it earlier, but I can see that what you said is a good explanation for how the camera makes the decisions.

What I incorrectly assumed from your earlier statement is that optionally the camera wouldn't switch the focus distance if the point being used was temporarily interrupted, but would wait until that point detected something at the original distance. I hadn't realised that you were talking about switching to another point.

(A problem I have in AF-C mode is that I can be tracking an object using, say, the centre point. Then something else, for example a branch or a pole or someone's head, gets in the way as I pan, and disrupts the focus of that point. I thought you were saying that it was possible to delay the change in focus of that particular point).
10-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I already have that set. I didn't interpret the manual in the way you expressed it earlier, but I can see that what you said is a good explanation for how the camera makes the decisions.

What I incorrectly assumed from your earlier statement is that optionally the camera wouldn't switch the focus distance if the point being used was temporarily interrupted, but would wait until that point detected something at the original distance. I hadn't realised that you were talking about switching to another point.

(A problem I have in AF-C mode is that I can be tracking an object using, say, the centre point. Then something else, for example a branch or a pole or someone's head, gets in the way as I pan, and disrupts the focus of that point. I thought you were saying that it was possible to delay the change in focus of that particular point).
It will wait. If you are tracking something on the centerpoint and loose your subject, it will search the centerpoint and nearby points _at the same distance_ for up to one second. After one second it start searching on all distances.
10-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
From your response I'll assume that you like the silver version, which I felt was tacky, especially the grip. And whilst the K-01 was forever lambasted as ugly, I felt it was a nice little camera (for what it was meant to be) and in no way looked as cheap as this silver K-3 in the shots shown so far.
Maybe it's not to your taste. Maybe it's not to mine: I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, so I'm unable to decide whether it looks cheap or not. But at least it isn't a plastic bodied camera (for the most part) so any finish will be applied to metal. And, if it is as good as the finish on my silver 77mm Limited, it will be stunning, though I don't really know if that is the metal or a paint. I admit, I do like the look of the silver version, and it's always nice to have a choice. That said, since I intend pre-ordering, I'll probably go for the black one, as I would want to see the "bling" one first.
10-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #236
Veteran Member

It will wait. If you are tracking something on the centerpoint and loose your subject, it will search the centerpoint and nearby points _at the same distance_ for up to one second. After one second it start searching on all distances.
Right. But only if I use SEL rather than centre-point only. (I need to practice with SEL mode more).
10-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right. But only if I use SEL rather than centre-point only. (I need to practice with SEL mode more).
Thats correct. It only works in SEL-mode and with AF.C.
10-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #238

Photos: Albums
K-3 : So it's just a aps-c sensor dslr with x2 SD card slots and upgraded AF?

Drips and drabs....

Still the best APS-C dslr series in the world, but it's really only incremental evolution.

I think their focus isn't right. They seem focused on the Q system (popular in Japan, and when cheap enough, has some Western buyers too) so surely they'd be better off making some more auto focus lenses for the Q.

Or just make a FF so people can have bragging rights, and gives Pentaxians a ladder to upgrade. A FF dslr already more available lenses for use than the Q system, which they've already made x3 versions.

I know I know--it's nothing other people haven't already said before...but I just couldn't help it.

Should have just called the K-3 the K-5ii s2 of something
10-07-2013, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnTaylor Quote
K-3 : So it's just a aps-c sensor dslr with x2 SD card slots and upgraded AF?

Drips and drabs....

Still the best APS-C dslr series in the world, but it's really only incremental evolution.

I think their focus isn't right. They seem focused on the Q system (popular in Japan, and when cheap enough, has some Western buyers too) so surely they'd be better off making some more auto focus lenses for the Q.

Or just make a FF so people can have bragging rights, and gives Pentaxians a ladder to upgrade. A FF dslr already more available lenses for use than the Q system, which they've already made x3 versions.

I know I know--it's nothing other people haven't already said before...but I just couldn't help it.

Should have just called the K-3 the K-5ii s2 of something
It does use a different sensor, unlike the two versions of the K5 which use the same sensor and it looks to me like Ricoh has really invested in R and D for this camera, unlike Hoya. I just don't think people realize how bare the cupboard was when Ricoh took over and that they have been building from the ground up.

I am very pleased with what Ricoh has done. They have carefully filled in the APS-C line up -- K500, K50, K5 II and now the K3. They also have better tech available to them. All of this is the ground work that is necessary to launch a full frame camera. What I see here is that Ricoh does their homework, looks at the market carefully and then launches well refined products that match up well against the competition. This is a winning strategy over time.

Last edited by Rondec; 10-07-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
10-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #240

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It does use a different sensor, unlike the two versions of the K5 which use the same sensor and it looks to me like Ricoh has really invested in R and D for this camera, unlike Hoya. I just don't think people realize how bare the cupboard was when Ricoh took over and that they have been building from the ground up.

I am very pleased with what Ricoh has done. They have carefully filled in the APS-C line up -- K500, K50, K5 II and now the K3. They also have better tech available to them. All of this is the ground work that is necessary to launch a full frame camera. What I see here is that Ricoh does there homework, looks at the market carefully and then launches well refined products that match up well against the competition. This is a winning strategy over time.

Assuming they really do have a plan to incrementally build up Pentax's product line, then I take back my words, as they are building a solid list of models to compete head to head with Canikon.

But that's only if they are.

If not, then it's just APS-C and the Q will get a new lens now and again, which isn't what a solid dslr brand should be like