Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Also did anyone else notice the slightly snarkey comment about the AF speed in the DPreview preview where they say something along the lines of "from our initial testing it is still a way behind the competition".

Which is yet more anti-Pentax bias from DPreview especially when you consider it's a pre-production camera.
I noticed that too but realized it was sour grapes.

10-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Hopefully.

Although of course with 25 cross type sensors even if the AF speed itself was only slightly faster than the K-5II one would expect accuracy to be improved a fair bit.

I am also assuming that CDAF will be a better as well - just as a result of the general improvement one might expect with any new camera
10-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #303
Veteran Member

It would obviously depend on which lens was connected. My DA*55 is a real slow poke and on my K-5 and is totally abysmal for accuracy unless I use Live View. The only lens I still possess that actually works okay with my K-5 is my DA*200 so I'm prepared to take one more hit with that. I already sold 2 K-5's a year ago but ended up buying one to tide me over when my new D800e had to go away for 5 weeks for service. I hate being emotionally attached to anything but a guitar or a woman.. and maybe a car.

Last edited by bossa; 10-08-2013 at 12:48 AM.
10-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's a big mistake to leave out AF.C and it's not "pro-like" at all. I hope someone will have a closer look at this and hopefully point out, it still is super fast to change to AF.C from any other mode.

10-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #305
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I think it's a big mistake to leave out AF.C and it's not "pro-like" at all. I hope someone will have a closer look at this and hopefully point out, it still is super fast to change to AF.C from any other mode.
If it works on Nikon D4 and other pro cameras, I think it will work for K-3 too.
K-3 might also switch over to AF-C automatic depending on other settings you choose. FI if you choose "select-area expansion" AF points, it switch to AF-C as that option is only available for AF-C. A mechanical switch for AF is not as flexible as a button.
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #306
Site Supporter

I imagine this has something to do with the fact that the AF now has too many functions to fit on a lever. There's a similar button on the D800, and that's a pretty "pro-like" camera. It isn't as quick as just flicking a lever, granted, but some sacrifices have to be made, I guess.
10-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I imagine this has something to do with the fact that the AF now has too many functions to fit on a lever. There's a similar button on the D800, and that's a pretty "pro-like" camera. It isn't as quick as just flicking a lever, granted, but some sacrifices have to be made, I guess.
I think the AF lever is the single nastiest feature of the K-7, K-5, and K-5IIs. Trying to choose between AF-S and AF-C is unconvincing. (Choosing between AF and M is more positive, presumably because it extends/retracts the screw mechanism).
10-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #308
Pentaxian

The only thing I'm familiar with is to switch modes from a menu and by using a lever, and the lever has naturally been faster and very useful to me when doing weddings. If it can be done fast in other ways, then I'm perfectly fine with that. My concern is just, that I do not hope having to change to AF.C means I'd have to spend too much time doing so.

10-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #309
Pentaxian

On K-3 you push the "AF mode" button and rotate front wheel to change AF mode, and button + rear wheel change AF point mode.
It will make it easier to use while looking through the viewfinder.

The mechanical switches used for these options on earlier cameras has been difficult to use.
10-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #310
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I'm familiar with is to switch modes from a menu and by using a lever, and the lever has naturally been faster and very useful to me when doing weddings. If it can be done fast in other ways, then I'm perfectly fine with that. My concern is just, that I do not hope having to change to AF.C means I'd have to spend too much time doing so.
I think all you do to change from AF.S to AF.C is press the AF Mode button and rotate the front wheel (I think it's the front one). My guess (nothing more) is that when you flip the switch from M focus to AF, the last used AF mode is active until you change it with the AF Mode button. We'll have to wait until some people have tested it.
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Dream on, as the K-3 is not meant as a K-5 II replacement. The K-3 will be the absolute top model while the K-5 will be placed just below. Finally a proper 3-tier line-up (K-500/K-50, K-5, K-3 in Pentax land!
The cost of production for the K5 II is to high to keep in the lineup. Pentax has been discontinuing models often, so keeping it would be a major change in policy. We will see,but don't hold your breath.
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Dpreview may be a little bias.
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is going to run out of numbers really soon.
10-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Don't forget that they could have a MK II,III etc.
10-08-2013, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #315
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I expect full frame to refer to the LX with regard to its name.