Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #346
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteQuote:
In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957. Since then the company has been primarily known for its photographic products, distributed under the name "Asahi Pentax" (equipment was imported to the United States from the 1950s until the mid-1970s by Honeywell Corporation and branded "Honeywell Pentax"). The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002. It was one of the world's largest optical companies, producing still cameras, binoculars spectacle lenses, and a variety of other optical instruments. In 2004 Pentax had about 6000 employees.

In December 2006, Pentax started the process of merging with Hoya Corporationto form Hoya Pentax HD Corporation. Hoya's primary goal was to strengthen its medical-related business by taking advantage of Pentax's technologies and expertise in the field of endoscopes, intraocular lenses, surgical loupes, biocompatible ceramics, etc. It was speculated that Pentax's camera business could be sold off after the merger. A stock swap was to be completed by October 1, 2007 but the process was called off on April 11, 2007. Pentax president Fumio Urano resigned over the matter, with Takashi Watanuki taking over as president of Pentax.However, despite Watanuki's previously stated opposition to a Hoya merger, on May 16 it was reported that Pentax had accepted "with conditions" a sweetened offer from Hoya, according to a source familiar with the matter. Pentax was under increasing pressure from its major shareholders, Sparx Asset Management in particular, to accept Hoya's bid.

On August 6, 2007, Hoya completed a tender offer for Pentax and acquired 90.59% of the company.On August 14, 2007, the company became a consolidated subsidiary of Hoya. On October 29, 2007, Hoya and Pentax announced that Pentax would merge with and into Hoya effective on March 31, 2008.Hoya closed the Pentax-owned factory in Tokyo, and moved most of their operations to Southeast Asia. All professional (DA*) and consumer (DA, D-FA) lenses are produced in Vietnam whereas DSLR cameras are produced in Phillipines

Japanese optical glass-maker Hoya Corporation stated on July 1, 2011, that it would sell its Pentax camera business to copier and printer maker Ricoh in a deal the Nikkei business daily reported was worth about 10 billion yen. On July 29, 2011, Hoya transferred its Pentax imaging systems business to a newly established subsidiary called Pentax Imaging Corporation. On October 1, 2011, Ricoh acquired all shares of Pentax Imaging Corp. and renamed the new subsidiary Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd.Hoya will continue to use the Pentax brand name for their medical related products such as endoscopes. On August 1, 2013, the company name was changed to Ricoh Imaging Company Ltd.

The corporation was best known for its Pentax branded cameras starting with the pivotal Asahi Pentax SLR of 1957, which followed Asahi's first series of cameras, the Asahiflex of 1952. The success of the Pentax series was such that the business eventually renamed itself "Pentax Corporation" after the product. Although the corporation ultimately merged into Hoya Corporation, it eventually was purchased by Ricoh who continues to develop and market cameras under the Pentax brand.
Looks like it has been a brand most of its life to me! It's a brand I like though.

10-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
Sorry, but I have been a long time Pentax Lover, so, I disagree that i need to check my facts
Is there a connection between those 2 points ? Where?
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #348
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, but I have been a long time Pentax Lover, so, I disagree that i need to check my facts
Well, now you can be a Ricoh lover, and you still need to check your facts.
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #349

Pentax k3 flash

WHY o WHY do you sync so slow pentax This is what may break or make my decision to buy!. Frame rate for sequences FINALLY 8+ fps. (AMAZING) but how is anyone going to shoot flashes outside without motion blur. Action sports at 180 is not fast enough!

10-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
WHY o WHY do you sync so slow pentax This is what may break or make my decision to buy!. Frame rate for sequences FINALLY 8+ fps. (AMAZING) but how is anyone going to shoot flashes outside without motion blur. Action sports at 180 is not fast enough!
Because of SR most probably. IMO they should do as Sony and lets do 1/250 when SR is off.
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #351
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm getting the impression the k-3 must be a pretty good camera. It seems the only thing that can be complained about is the flash sync speed. The anti-Pentax propaganda crowd must be getting desperate
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #352
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Well, now you can be a Ricoh lover, and you still need to check your facts.
sorry, but I disagree in checking my facts, my facts are straight:
i have known Pentax since before the days of Pentax film cameras when it was Asahi Pentax!
now you go check your facts
10-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #353
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember reading something about the sync speed having to do with heat or something. Carping about specifics on a camera is hardly anti-Pentax propaganda.

10-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #354
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i have known Pentax since before the days of Pentax film cameras when it was Asahi Pentax!
Sorry, but the first Asahi film cameras were not branded "Pentax".
10-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
And Pentax was only a brand of Asahi Optical.
10-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #356
bxf
Pentaxian

sorry, but I disagree in checking my facts, my facts are straight:
now you go check your facts
But that's the whole point. Asahi was the company that used Pentax as a photo marketing line. More recently, Pentax was owned by Hoya. There was a relatively short period during which there actually was a company named Pentax, but this has not been the case for most of Pentax history.
10-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #357
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
i never said the first Asahi, I said when they were Asahi Pentax
10-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #358
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because of SR most probably. IMO they should do as Sony and lets do 1/250 when SR is off.
QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I remember reading something about the sync speed having to do with heat or something. Carping about specifics on a camera is hardly anti-Pentax propaganda.
According to Digitalis (who shows 1/250 images with shutter curtains in the frame) the 1/180 sync speed is a limitation of the elderly shutter design, nothing more, nothing less. Increasing the sync speed to 1/250 (he says) would require a completely new shutter design - which may be the next engineering effort on the table - but wasn't done for the K-3.
10-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #359
Veteran Member

I don't see how 1/200 or 1/250 would make for a relevant improvement over 1/180. That's 1/3 to 1/2 EV.

Get into leaf shutter territory (medium format; NOT in the 645D) and you can have 1/500 to 1/1.000 easily. That seems more like it.
10-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
According to Digitalis (who shows 1/250 images with shutter curtains in the frame) the 1/180 sync speed is a limitation of the elderly shutter design, nothing more, nothing less. Increasing the sync speed to 1/250 (he says) would require a completely new shutter design - which may be the next engineering effort on the table - but wasn't done for the K-3.
What was done instead was to increase its reliability.