Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
Pentax body always good. but they lack good zoom lens. I would be more interesting to see Pentax update 16-50 and 50-135.
Why on earth should they upgrade them. Both are great and DA*50-135 is optically perfect.

10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Back again.....Can someone explain this to me? What is a photometric sensor and how does this relate to better AF? Try to explain it in terms that would be understandable to a squirrel brain...if possible? Not that I have a squirrel brain, Otis constantly reminds me I am not that advanced, but I am pretty close!

Regards & Thanks in advance!
A pohotmetic sesnor measures teh colour temperature and uses that data to correct Front Back faocus that is caused by Phase focunsing in differing bands of light.

What cause me a rye smile at this thread is it's a technology first introduced in the K5 and led to the early low light issues that Pentax had to fix in a firmware update due to calbration problems.

It is a very cool solution to an age old problem that has dogged all Slr since phase AF was inventedm But not new in the K3.
10-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I wonder why the need for a headphone jack though, it would've probably seen more use in a K-01 successor... which probably won't come out any time soon.
Well, that all depends on the video capabilities of the K-3. As a video guy in addition to a photographer, I occasionally use the jack on my k5iis, but very rarely due to a host of shortcomings with it's video processing, lack of manual video control, etc.. If the K-3 has manual control, that alone would be enough for me to use it for video way more than I currently use my IIs. Does anyone know the video specs?
10-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tohax Quote
the new Fujitsu Milbeaut 7 has maximum image processing speed equivalent to 12fps at 24M pixels.
Pentax seems to take a more conservative way by limitting it to only 8.3fps.
At what bit depth does it process 24MP at 12fps?

10-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
- 24 million pixel APS-C sensor,
- Low-pass filter effect based on SR system actuation (The effect selectable: strong, weak, OFF)
- Astro tracer support(?)
- New AF unit SAFOX11. -3EV Supports. AF to take advantage of the color information of the photometric sensor
- the focus point of the AF three points (25 cross point), center point 27 on the light of the corresponding F2.8
- The continuous shooting 8.3 frames / second
- Media SD card (SDXC , UHS-I compatible), dual slot
- can save in RAW format HDR
- newly developed viewfinder, redesigned optical system -. 100% field of view, 0.95x magnification
- body adopts a magnesium alloy up and down and back and forth. Dustproof drip-proof. Cold performance of -10 ° C.
- 200 000 cycle shutter durability
- can work with smart phone i
- battery grip D-BG5

Source: ??????K-3??????? - ????info

AF, RAW HDR and SR based AA filter sound interesting
Ok, I'm excited about the 200K shutter life

The other features are definitely good.

Where is the Full Frame Sensor version? - This just reminds me of a better Sony A-77 which has already practically come and gone.
10-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The physical mirror and shutter movements that would be a limit as well.
It might also be a limitation of SR mechanism.
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #82

The important thing here is that Ricoh seems to be delivering. Not Pentax, Ricoh.
Let's wait and see how the new camera performs and if there are any significant manufacturing glitches. Sensor spots, other failures.

Ricoh is on the hotseat here. Let's be objective and realistic about this and see what happens.

10-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm excited by the SR possibilities - an AA filter is a fantastic idea. I wonder it's limitations...

If I had to guess, they'd just induce some extra sensor compensation motion to give an approximation to a filter - hence the "weak" ans "strong" modes.

That said, as mentioned previously, a possible scan pattern could produce even a Foveon-like level of image quality. With the SNR of bayer to boot (or close). Maybe I won't pick up a DP1M...
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
- Low-pass filter effect based on SR system actuation (The effect selectable: strong, weak, OFF)
I'm not sure I understand the need for this. 24MP APS-C shouldn't have much of a problem. I haven't seen moire problems with the K-5IIs.

Are people who have the K-5IIs experiencing problems?

I understand the possibility of stacking images and using SR to shift the sensor, but I'm a little leery of the reliability and usability.
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People who think anti-alias is done by shifting the sensor are on crack. The SR system is for SR.
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure I understand the need for this. 24MP APS-C shouldn't have much of a problem. I haven't seen moire problems with the K-5IIs.

I understand the possibility of stacking images and using SR to shift the sensor, but I'm a little leery of the reliability and usability.
No, in over 15,000 images I could only see moire in 1 set.. when my cousin was wearing a "trucker" style baseball cap (white mesh pattern) in harsh sunlight. And in all of those it was only really visible at 100% zoom, and was completely removable with 1 click using the Lightroom 4 Moire slider.
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't.
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxk7dish Quote
No, in over 15,000 images I could only see moire in 1 set.. when my cousin was wearing a "trucker" style baseball cap (white mesh pattern) in harsh sunlight. And in all of those it was only really visible at 100% zoom, and was completely removable with 1 click using the Lightroom 4 Moire slider.
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I don't.
This is why I am a little suspect of the rumor that the new camera has SR based AA control. If its not a problem at 16MP, then why would we need it for 24MP? IT doesn't make any sense. Just take the AA filter off. Software is getting good enough to deal with it that there is no reason to design a complicated (one more thing to go wrong) system to deal with a non-problem.
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #89
Veteran Member

The specs are very far from bad! One of these really stands out though: 200000 shutter actuations! That's professional gear. I still wonder if there's going to be an extra surprise. (Always want more.)
10-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I wonder how many people will actually use the SR induced AA filter. Seems like if you need something afterward, you can focally apply it after the fact in lightroom or, whatever program you use for post processing.