Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Can't see that happening, as it it determined by the sensor's QE, fill-factor, AA filter & Bayer CFA transmittance/selectivity. The K-5/D7000 has about 46%-48% QE. Max. seems to be about 60% with current technology according to sensorgen.info. The domain expired, but here's an archived version:

Sensorgen - digital camera sensor data

I think the Nikon P330's QE of 75% is a measurement funny, unless it has wonder filters in it's CFA that one else uses.

Dan.
Most of the improvement we have seen have come from image processors and RAW converters. I don't expect a big jump forward. Even 1/2 a stop would be good. If we get more I will be pretty amazed.

I will probably wait until a FF is announced this spring or move to another brand if that fails to happen.... Unless the K-3 is just amazing.

10-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
24MP + APS-C + faster fps + good low-light AE & AF performance + tracking AF + sufficient buffer depth & buffer clearance speed = Awesome potential for sports/action photography.

So, as someone who has shot a lot of sports with a K20D & a K-5, I'll be very interested to see how well the AF tracking and shot buffer performs.

Dan.
I agree with you, I too am interested in the focus characteristics of this new camera. On paper it is extremely interesting to me and may entice me to upgrade and relegate my K5 to backup status.
10-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
No, seriously; with such a price and such incredible performance, and above all — quality — people will see how pathetic was Fuji to name their camera package "Pro". Or, put all in perspective and see what Oly has to brag about with E-M1. Or what Nikon offers as an entry level FF.

I think many will finally come to common sense. The K-3 will be, by far, the best and most evolved APS-C camera ever made, by any manufacturer, punching well above its weight.
I think the recent move by Pentax to upgrade their lenses to the new HD coating has something to do with this new camera and it's upgraded video capabilities.
10-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hitmanone Quote
WHat??? aps-c and 24mp? and you guys are happy? come oN!! this is ed up! and what to do the 8.3 frames when at the same time Pentax focus speed is below average versus other cameras of Nikon and Canon... and APS-C? again? i find no reason to upgrade from my K-5... disappointed...
If you like to complain so much about a camera that isn't even here yet .... take a back seat, relax, wait for the official news, read them, check the specs of the K3 and then, and only then, start complaining.

Then ... you'll have several choices: keep your K5 or buy into Canikon, or do both.

Then ... stop complaining.

JP

10-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Well it's 11:28am Monday 7 here in South Australia... I guess we'll have to wait an extra day for the announcement
10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #171
Veteran Member

So has the 40 meg via sensor shift myth been exposed as myth or...

what? Seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, or at least I can't find it. And to put dedicated large headphone and mic inputs on it must mean they've got the movie mode SERIOUSLY together...or are they large? Anybody really know?

The suspense is killing me...but this time I really think I'm going to sell my FA*s...and my 14.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #172
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I still think there's something special they're not revealing until Tuesday. I think it has to do with the viewfinder.
For weeks now, reading some of your posts had me saying to myself "this guy knows something he's not telling". Fess up!

10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm hoping it's not 12 bit and that perhaps we get a user selective bit depth.
If history is any indication, it's probably 14-bit. I don't think it will be possible to select between 12-bit and 14-bit.

--DragonLord
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
For weeks now, reading some of your posts had me saying to myself "this guy knows something he's not telling". Fess up!
Nope. Just read here and elsewhere and put things together. Many seemingly informed posters have said the new camera has "Something Special." All these spec's are a big move for Riucoh / Pentax, but they aren't new or special.

But I still think there's something with that new VF switch that isn't the diopter, or the new AF / MF selector, and relates to a selectable EVF / OVF Hoya patent quoted in another thread here Friday.

Click the little red >> in the quoted text to read the patent language.

If I did know something and I told I'd never know anything again.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #175
Pentaxian

Nope. Just read here and elsewhere and put things together.

But I still think there's something with that new VF switch that isn't the diopter and relates to a selectable EVF / OVF Hoya patent quoted in another thread here Friday.
Or it could just be a switch to hide/show AE, AF and/or other info overlays on the OVF.

Dan.
10-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ern, it gives you the option to use SR as a blur filter. Not that it uses it all the time. Normally you are shooting unfiltered. If you come across a scene which generates moire, you turn on this option and tada - you are fine.

Regardless of how low the chance to generate moire, having the option to blur automatically to similate a AA filter is a good option to have.
And being able to inspect the results of your test shot on an iPad immediately would be incredibly helpful in this regard. So there's a nice synergy here between two of the new features.
10-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or it could just be a switch to hide/show AE, AF and/or other info overlays on the OVF.

Dan.
That would certainly be interesting, though not earthshaking. Well, we'll know soon enough.
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Most of the improvement we have seen have come from image processors and RAW converters. I don't expect a big jump forward. Even 1/2 a stop would be good. If we get more I will be pretty amazed.
I don't expect any improvement in SNR or DR. Pentax will have a Sony sensor comparable to the Sony and Nikon 24mp's. The K-3 upgrade will strictly be due to improved body functions.
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #179
bxf
Veteran Member

My thoughts precisely. I expected denial...
10-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't expect any improvement in SNR or DR. Pentax will have a Sony sensor comparable to the Sony and Nikon 24mp's. The K-3 upgrade will strictly be due to improved body functions.
Well K-5 was using the same sensor of D7000 and Pentax make a killing of it versus Nikon. They will probably make the same on K-3