Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
The cost of production for the K5 II is to high to keep in the lineup. Pentax has been discontinuing models often, so keeping it would be a major change in policy. We will see,but don't hold your breath.
Why?? The Q10 stayed in the lineup.

10-09-2013, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have a Jap friend who commented that on the Jap forums, there is a guy who claims he knows the Pentax engineers and has been accurate witb k3 info.
This person's comment was a cryptic 'as long as its designated K, it will be aps-c'
Might be true, might be a respin of that A mount rumor that this guy picked up on other forums.....
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
There's a confusion around:
  • what is the mount designation
  • what is designated camera series nomenclature

Pentax has, coincidentally, chosen to use K-something to designate almost all of their digital SLRs. (exception being ist*)

That was done in an attempt to convey to people that digital SLR cameras from Pentax are not some new gimmick, but that new digital cameras can use any K-mount lens ever produced without any problem. That is more than 30 years of legacy. A very strong message for a very worthy cause.

Now after some 19 DSLRs or so, it does make sense to stick to that K-nomenclature for that series of cameras, because it well defines all DSLRs done so far — they all were APS-C.

When a new FF DSLRs comes out, it may have a different camera series nomenclature, to differentiate itself from the rest in one crucial feature: the sensor size. However, it doesn't mean that a new FF camera will have an all new mount! It will be just a different series, to clearly target a specific market without unnecessary confusions. It may have some specific and different features as well: for example DA K-mount lens will work in crop mode. It will also have its own FA lenses, designed for the FF.
How about L-series for a K-mount FF?
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #333
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How about L-series for a K-mount FF?
In theory, an FF camera with sophisticated SR and sensor shift tech, could move sensor inside to fit the flange distance of some popular mounts.
But it's complicated, and people like simple solutions. And still the question remains: what's the original mount of that camera?

So that is why I dismiss the notion of that A mount rumour; it's just too complicated, over-engineered approach it doesn't make any sense. A good camera must be straightforward, and work well — even if it has just 6 lenses to start with.
10-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #334
Forum Member

Pentax K-3 Specifications

I hope this runs circles around the Canon 7D, which was 8fps, and i thought many times about buying it.

10-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #335
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea.
Just somebody said something to somebody, for now.

As far as I am concerned, as long as it works with my existing FF lenses in a non-clunky and overly slow manner, I am happy enough.
I have faith that Pentax and Ricoh has a 'do it right' philosophy based on all the cameras they have done so far and in the past.
I believe that it makes little sense to drop K-mount entirely if there is a new FF camera.
However, I also think that the way ahead to offer above the competition and gain market share fast is via some sort of FF that also takes other ppls lenses.

I do think we will know it soon enough in 5-6mths time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
There's a confusion around:
  • what is the mount designation
  • what is designated camera series nomenclature

Pentax has, coincidentally, chosen to use K-something to designate almost all of their digital SLRs. (exception being ist*)

That was done in an attempt to convey to people that digital SLR cameras from Pentax are not some new gimmick, but that new digital cameras can use any K-mount lens ever produced without any problem. That is more than 30 years of legacy. A very strong message for a very worthy cause.

Now after some 19 DSLRs or so, it does make sense to stick to that K-nomenclature for that series of cameras, because it well defines all DSLRs done so far — they all were APS-C.

When a new FF DSLRs comes out, it may have a different camera series nomenclature, to differentiate itself from the rest in one crucial feature: the sensor size. However, it doesn't mean that a new FF camera will have an all new mount! It will be just a different series, to clearly target a specific market without unnecessary confusions. It may have some specific and different features as well: for example DA K-mount lens will work in crop mode. It will also have its own FA lenses, designed for the FF.
10-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
I hope this runs circles around the Canon 7D, which was 8fps, and i thought many times about buying it.
Just pick up a 7D, and then compare how it feels in-hand to something like the K-5.
I did just that the other day, and was rather surprised how plastic, flimsy and 'cheap' the 7D felt compared to the K-5.

The K-5 image quality also stomps the 7D's. So I expect the K-3 will have no trouble 'running circles around the 7D'. Remember, even the Sony RX100 point-and-shoot gets the same DxOMark score as the 7D....
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Just pick up a 7D, and then compare how it feels in-hand to something like the K-5.
I did just that the other day, and was rather surprised how plastic, flimsy and 'cheap' the 7D felt compared to the K-5.

The K-5 image quality also stomps the 7D's. So I expect the K-3 will have no trouble 'running circles around the 7D'. Remember, even the Sony RX100 point-and-shoot gets the same DxOMark score as the 7D....
I infinitely prefer the K-5 to the 7D, myself, but the AF on the 7D is far superior. Hopefully the K-3's AF 'comes close' to the 4 year old 7D.

10-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #338
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I infinitely prefer the K-5 to the 7D, myself, but the AF on the 7D is far superior. Hopefully the K-3's AF 'comes close' to the 4 year old 7D.
though I should have mentioned it , the AF is what i was refering to when I said " i hope it runs circles around the Canon 7D"
thanks for mentioning it for me!
10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #339

Photos: Albums
whats about the SR in movie mode ?!
10-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
whats about the SR in movie mode ?!
What do you mean? It's available since first Pentax DSLR with SR and movie mode. Can't remeber which model was that. K-7?
10-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #341
Veteran Member

though I should have mentioned it , the AF is what i was refering to when I said " i hope it runs circles around the Canon 7D"
thanks for mentioning it for me!
The new AF in the K-3 might be better than the 7D, but USM is noticeably faster than SDM, so unless Pentax updates SDM it won't be faster. Pentax could put a faster motor in the body for screw drive lenses. Since most of Pentax's premium glass is screw drive.
10-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #342
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The new AF in the K-3 might be better than the 7D, but USM is noticeably faster than SDM, so unless Pentax updates SDM it won't be faster. Pentax could put a faster motor in the body for screw drive lenses. Since most of Pentax's premium glass is screw drive.
I think you mean Ricoh could put a faster motor in the body, since Pentax only exsists as a name, and no longer a Company name! Oh, and thanks for the info
10-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #343
Pentaxian

I think you mean Ricoh could put a faster motor in the body, since Pentax only exsists as a name, and no longer a Company name! Oh, and thanks for the info
It was no more than a name before as well. You may want to check your facts.
10-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #344
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It was no more than a name before as well. You may want to check your facts.
Sorry, but I have been a long time Pentax Lover, so, I disagree that i need to check my facts
10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #345
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was originally a registered trademark of the German VEB Zeiss Ikon (from "Pentaprism" and "Contax") but, as all Germans patents were annulled with the country's defeat, the name "Pentax" was taken by the Asahi Optical company in 1957. Since then the company has been primarily known for its photographic products, distributed under the name "Asahi Pentax" (equipment was imported to the United States from the 1950s until the mid-1970s by Honeywell Corporation and branded "Honeywell Pentax"). The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002. It was one of the world's largest optical companies, producing still cameras, binoculars spectacle lenses, and a variety of other optical instruments. In 2004 Pentax had about 6000 employees.

In December 2006, Pentax started the process of merging with Hoya Corporationto form Hoya Pentax HD Corporation. Hoya's primary goal was to strengthen its medical-related business by taking advantage of Pentax's technologies and expertise in the field of endoscopes, intraocular lenses, surgical loupes, biocompatible ceramics, etc. It was speculated that Pentax's camera business could be sold off after the merger. A stock swap was to be completed by October 1, 2007 but the process was called off on April 11, 2007. Pentax president Fumio Urano resigned over the matter, with Takashi Watanuki taking over as president of Pentax.However, despite Watanuki's previously stated opposition to a Hoya merger, on May 16 it was reported that Pentax had accepted "with conditions" a sweetened offer from Hoya, according to a source familiar with the matter. Pentax was under increasing pressure from its major shareholders, Sparx Asset Management in particular, to accept Hoya's bid.

On August 6, 2007, Hoya completed a tender offer for Pentax and acquired 90.59% of the company.On August 14, 2007, the company became a consolidated subsidiary of Hoya. On October 29, 2007, Hoya and Pentax announced that Pentax would merge with and into Hoya effective on March 31, 2008.Hoya closed the Pentax-owned factory in Tokyo, and moved most of their operations to Southeast Asia. All professional (DA*) and consumer (DA, D-FA) lenses are produced in Vietnam whereas DSLR cameras are produced in Phillipines

Japanese optical glass-maker Hoya Corporation stated on July 1, 2011, that it would sell its Pentax camera business to copier and printer maker Ricoh in a deal the Nikkei business daily reported was worth about 10 billion yen. On July 29, 2011, Hoya transferred its Pentax imaging systems business to a newly established subsidiary called Pentax Imaging Corporation. On October 1, 2011, Ricoh acquired all shares of Pentax Imaging Corp. and renamed the new subsidiary Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd.Hoya will continue to use the Pentax brand name for their medical related products such as endoscopes. On August 1, 2013, the company name was changed to Ricoh Imaging Company Ltd.

The corporation was best known for its Pentax branded cameras starting with the pivotal Asahi Pentax SLR of 1957, which followed Asahi's first series of cameras, the Asahiflex of 1952. The success of the Pentax series was such that the business eventually renamed itself "Pentax Corporation" after the product. Although the corporation ultimately merged into Hoya Corporation, it eventually was purchased by Ricoh who continues to develop and market cameras under the Pentax brand.
Looks like it has been a brand most of its life to me! It's a brand I like though.