Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I don't know. I mean, I give up on presuming anything about "why Pentaxes won't work as others".
Sony also uses SR, and Olympus. Alpha 77 syncs at 1/250, and Oly EM1 at 1/320.
Their lower grade cameras, though, sync at lower speed. Old Alpha 65 synced at 1/160.

I remember reading somewhere many months ago, that Olympus deliberately omitted using a better shutter mechanism for the OMD5 to sync it to 1/320. They used a lower grade, saying that cost would not be justified, and that they are leaving it for the flagship (presumably EM1?). However, 1/320 is now available in their E-P5 too. It costs less than $1300.

And K-3 s is supposed to be some sort of flagship for Pentax, but the cost isn't justified at all? All that doesn't make any sense when comparing to others. And makes one wonder in what direction those Pentax cameras and the entire system are going to.
The Oly isn't APS-C, right.

And really, what picture can't you take with 1/180 and flash that you can take at 1/250? The difference is negligible. Really want better flash sync? Get a leaf shutter.

10-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #377

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
And really, what picture can't you take with 1/180 and flash that you can take at 1/250?
Spastic birds!
10-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #378

Looks good to me they've listened in most areas aka dual cards, we hope souped up AF real world, decent overall spec nice big buffer (D7100 users will be crying In pain on this one)
Only criticism is flash sync speed isn't high enough.
10-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A clue towards a new shutter is the increased reliability (which I mentioned before). Or, maybe they found out the old MTBF was underestimated by a factor of 2
Or maybe it was a Warranty issue (we'd need to read the old and new warranties). Since warranties have real cost perhaps this is an early, subtle indication of the benefit of Ricoh's capital strength.

10-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
if you had a look at all the changes
  • AA-Filter
  • 27 Point Autofukos
  • 86000 Point White Balance
  • High Speed 8.3
The biggie for me is the improvement in the tracking performance of AF.C. Read the "autofocus" section of this preview:

Pentax K-3 Review: Hands-On Preview

Dan.
10-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The biggie for me is the improvement in the tracking performance of AF.C. Read the "autofocus" section of this preview:

Pentax K-3 Review: Hands-On Preview

Dan.

That may be true, but the list shows only where all of the development cost may have gone, and that flash wasn't the priority.
There may be another reason for that, rumors are coming up (but with low confidence level up to now) that there will be a 645 D II in the near future. There are excellent optics available with a central shutter (leaf shutter), there is no need for a flash sync speed update But all other elements of the K-3 will fit
10-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #382
Banned

We know where they're going by recognizing the K-3 as a revolutionary product.
If the K-3 is all in all and concludes the K-mount offer, then an overlooked issue does damage the perception of the entire lineup.

That was my point. So if it meant a slight loss in the cost in the beginning of one's product life, then it would turn into a bigger win in the long run for the entire line.

However, I still think it's a big mistake to leave the K-mount offer as this — at three current cameras— none of which says that there is a hint of perceptual problems being solved in foreseeable future. So, how many more years we need to wait to catch up in those areas? Three more, when K-3 comes to an end of its life?

So half a decade altogether to change the shutter for faster sync in just one camera, because three cameras are way too much cameras for one brand (that wants to be world's no 3)? It doesn't add up.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
10-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #383
Veteran Member

@ Ulura what are problems at the K-Mount?
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If the K-3 is all in all and concludes the K-mount offer, then an overlooked issue does damage the perception of the entire lineup.
I understand your point, but it's completely unrealistic. If they had increased the sync speed, then you would complain about something else, another "big mistake". While ignoring all what they did, because e.g. a brand new 27-points AF system linked to an 86.000 cells RGB metering system, all working down to -3 EV is not "a hint of perceptual problems being solved" - in your mind.
10-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #385
Banned

I understand your point, but it's completely unrealistic. If they had increased the sync speed, then you would complain about something else, another "big mistake". ..
No. I wanted to say that when start giving excuses, acting as advocates of the brand without internal knowledge, we miss the point.

Say, in 6 months time a new firmware may increase the sync speed with new flashes, and then .... what ?

So when I said "it doesn't add up" I didn't mean that Ricoh didn't think about the future now. I was merely saying that we don't have all the data and it really looks "weird".
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Digitalis has shown that increasing the flash sync speed will require a completely new shutter design. @ 1/250 the 2nd curtain appears (as a black bar) in the image. At some point Pentax had to stop improving things and say, "This is enough upgrading for the K-3."
10-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #387
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... At some point Pentax had to stop improving things and say, "This is enough upgrading for the K-3."
I wouldn't put all my money on that.
10-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #388
Inactive Account

Sorry but that "Ricoh" logo on the back will have to be the first thing to go...need to get some black enamel model paint and a small brush.
10-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #389
Veteran Member

There seems to be a mighty huge price gap between $1299 for the K-3 and $2,499 for the D610 in Australia. There's enough room in that range for two more cameras - a budget 16MP FF and a "pro" 24MP FF camera could easily fit in that price range I would have thought. But what do I know?

PS> Using USA prices would change things a bit but by how much I'm uncertain.
10-13-2013, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
Sorry but that "Ricoh" logo on the back will have to be the first thing to go...need to get some black enamel model paint and a small brush.
The camera is a Ricoh product. How can you love the camera and hate the manufacturer to the point of deluding yourself that it is actually a Pentax product?

Last edited by bossa; 10-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.