Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #136
Forum Member
cream's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
agree i cannot believe they just left us with h264...avi is much better. raw would be amazing and would really create a wow in the cinema world.
is great also we can disabled age and manual control audio. no more need for external recorder it seems.
yes... i was so eager to buy it right away! now i have to think... the video controls in k-3 are better... but if h264 is the only format... i will have to think hard! i don't think i can keep both...

10-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #137
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Correct :-)

I should have used the term over power. My only excuse is that I'm not a native English speaker.
i agree. but still overpower is a big word...clearly a third of stop ig good...

but for example i use the fuji x100 and that's great for killing because you can use any shiutter speed.
10-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #138
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
yes... i was so eager to buy it right away! now i have to think... the video controls in k-3 are better... but if h264 is the only format... i will have to think hard! i don't think i can keep both...


no we have also avi...not bad definitely...but in my opinion if they come out with 4k or raw video they hit an home run against competition pushing pentax in the cine world....canon 5d3 with magic lantern can registe raw video for short time....
10-07-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
raw output in video seems an error ...in my opinion....maybe it would be noce to have an active hdmi out port to register externally.
AFAIN there is no container for RAW video the concept does not exist within consumer products ,

Even if the were you'd wipe out 128GB SD cards in seconds.

It's a pipe dream that people don;t even understand what they wish for , Having worked with RAW video where large multispindle RAID 3 arrays are used just to get the throughput no SD has been invented that could even approach the required bandwidth.

The current spec for HDMI is 10.2Gb/s and clean HDMI (RAW) is possible but as the nickname suggests requires judder free data from the source something I doubt any consumer product could deliver.

10-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #140
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,359
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
agree i cannot believe they just left us with h264...avi is much better. raw would be amazing and would really create a wow in the cinema world.
is great also we can disabled age and manual control audio. no more need for external recorder it seems.
AVI is a container format, it doesn't say a thing about the codec used. it is possible to produce lossless video with h.264.Pentax uses it because it is the standard and supported bij the image processor (prime III? the premature specs page did not say).
10-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #141
Forum Member
cream's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
raw output in video seems an error ...in my opinion....maybe it would be noce to have an active hdmi out port to register externally.
you can connect k-5s through hdmi and record video and get the output directly to the screen you have the hdmi connected to... but i haven't tried directly recording it with anything, i've only used a tv screen to see the image larger than on lcd to see the amount of noise in different lighting... i don't even know what the output to hdmi is I think the hdmi output is not fullHD...
10-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #142
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
AFAIN there is no container for RAW video the concept does not exist within consumer products ,

Even if the were you'd wipe out 128GB SD cards in seconds.

It's a pipe dream that people don;t even understand what they wish for , Having worked with RAW video where large multispindle RAID 3 arrays are used just to get the throughput no SD has been invented that could even approach the required bandwidth.

The current spec for HDMI is 10.2Gb/s and clean HDMI (RAW) is possible but as the nickname suggests requires judder free data from the source something I doubt any consumer product could deliver.
Isn't CinemaDNG a container for raw video?
10-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #143
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe it has focus peeking maybe not. There nothing about any prime III or any other image processor in there, but is is bound to have one.
There was a leaked photo of the LCD on the pre-production model showing the focus peaking option...

10-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #144
Junior Member
vboy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
seems like ricoh/pentax is listening to non-ff consumers....a leap-frog of specs and innovations,not just one,but,a lot! maybe it would come out as the best apsc camera...might ditch my K-5 for this when reviews are released .can't wait to see IQ output of this sensor and the benchmarks! bravo! pentax.

greetings from Athens!

Last edited by vboy; 10-07-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: addendum
10-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #145
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
I'm curious about this... RAW would be good, no compression. I think MotionJPG is less compression than x264/h.264 which is heavily compressed... I prefer a 5 minute video that takes 1.5 GB... than a 200MB video that is full of compression artefacts...
Uncompressed HD if it was possible would give about 12 Minutes on a 128GB SD card !!
10-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #146
Veteran Member
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Isn't CinemaDNG a container for raw video?
I meant on the spec released.

BUt I see no take up of this within Consumer propducts ? anyway

and even adobe don't appear convinced

"There does not appear to be any commitment from Adobe (or any other company) to submit CinemaDNG to a standards body such as ISO"
10-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #147
Junior Member
vboy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 46
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Right, so it's gotten to the point where Ricoh is leaking itself

Before the pages get pulled and disappear:

cool,bro, love re-reading the K3.
10-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #148
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
Those posted Ricoh links to the K-3 come up 404 not found now..

eg: http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-3_Limited_Edition_Silver_
and http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/K-3_#!product-specs
10-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #149
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Uncompressed HD if it was possible would give about 12 Minutes on a 128GB SD card !!

i thnk uncompressed utput can be used for serious work not for amateur video...so when you need serious output, if you need, you can use it and fill and hard disk.
but i doubt.
10-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #150
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
So what's the BIG thing in the K-3 that was undisclosed yet???
price?

NaCl(if you have to ask "how much?" you can't afford it)H2O
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, pentax k-3, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Pampas Highlights ozwald Post Your Photos! 2 08-27-2013 06:54 PM
how is the k-5 in regards to highlights clipping? Skog Pentax K-5 4 01-27-2011 04:18 PM
P52-3-24 Light: Bokeh Highlights Rense Weekly Photo Challenges 26 01-17-2011 01:06 AM
Pentax K-5 + several lenses converted in LR 3.3 ogl Pentax K-5 3 12-12-2010 12:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top