Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #151
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
AFAIN there is no container for RAW video the concept does not exist within consumer products ,

Even if the were you'd wipe out 128GB SD cards in seconds.

It's a pipe dream that people don;t even understand what they wish for , Having worked with RAW video where large multispindle RAID 3 arrays are used just to get the throughput no SD has been invented that could even approach the required bandwidth.

The current spec for HDMI is 10.2Gb/s and clean HDMI (RAW) is possible but as the nickname suggests requires judder free data from the source something I doubt any consumer product could deliver.
why need a container? the raw stream can be stored directly into a file in binary format... it is not for watching... you can put it into a container after PP... but you are right, raw 1080p takes 128GB per minute I think... or is it more? so maybe not very practical... maybe YUV4MPEG would be better? k-5 has YUV 4:2:2 MotionJPG... I recorded a test video earlier, it didn't have very much detail so maybe that is why the file was smaller... only 268 MB for 1700 frames (25fps). so 158kB / frame... I just picked a picture that seemed to have the same amount of detail and resized it to 1920x1080 and saved as jpg. 100% takes 768kB, 75% quality setting gave 168kB file. So is k-5 video compressed to 75%?

10-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #152
Inactive Account

we just need somebody who can unleash the full potential of video like those who did it with gh2 or magic lanter,....natively even the gh2 would have been normal.
10-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Well those limitation aren't going to be overcome by 1/250 sync speed That's a third stop, then every brand uses HSS for faster shutter speeds. So what's the problem with 1/180th?
It's a case where more flexibility is always better and some competing cameras can manage 1/250th, so why can't Pentax even manage the more common 1/200th? These shutter speeds are also at a pretty critical area with regards to outdoor exposures at tolerable f-stops. It is a limit I often bump into and wouldn't mind seeing it raised, even if it's just a 1/3 or even 1/6th of a stop. This wouldn't be a controversial upgrade as it would have no impact on people who don't use it (apart from an undetermined $$ cost).

And yes, they should at least stop trying to protect us from ourselves and let the flash fire at any speeds and we can decide for ourselves if a particular gear+setting combo is workable. This much seems like a complete freebie addition.

HSS+the ability to manually set the power levels of the built in flash would also be an excellent addition though.
10-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #154

I meant on the spec released.

BUt I see no take up of this within Consumer propducts ? anyway

and even adobe don't appear convinced

"There does not appear to be any commitment from Adobe (or any other company) to submit CinemaDNG to a standards body such as ISO"
After speaking with one of the Adobe product guys in high up in the Premiere it seems they were rather dismayed about BMC's adoption of the cinemaDNG for their cameras and Adobe had interneraly halted development and support for the format. I dont know what they were planning as an alterneative, but he said they were not aware of BMC deccesion to use the format untill after it was announced.

But sometimes formats take on a life of their own .....

"BUt I see no take up of this within Consumer propducts" .... several places in the leaked literature refers to "professional" video recording formats.

10-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #155
Forum Member

Uncompressed HD if it was possible would give about 12 Minutes on a 128GB SD card !!
you could get 12 minutes in 128GB? so 512GB = 48 minutes?? I will take it! 128GB per minute would be too much... I think 12 minutes for 128GB is managable... ^^ did you say h.264 includes lossless encoding? I tried to look into it, I think all h.264 encoding is compressed... but h.264 can decode lossless video...
10-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$1299
Attached Images

10-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #157
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's a case where more flexibility is always better and some competing cameras can manage 1/250th, so why can't Pentax even manage the more common 1/200th? These shutter speeds are also at a pretty critical area with regards to outdoor exposures at tolerable f-stops. It is a limit I often bump into and wouldn't mind seeing it raised, even if it's just a 1/3 or even 1/6th of a stop. This wouldn't be a controversial upgrade as it would have no impact on people who don't use it (apart from an undetermined $$ cost).

And yes, they should at least stop trying to protect us from ourselves and let the flash fire at any speeds and we can decide for ourselves if a particular gear+setting combo is workable. This much seems like a complete freebie addition.

HSS+the ability to manually set the power levels of the built in flash would also be an excellent addition though.
I agree with this, it is a shame the flash speed is so limited... I think you should be able to use any shutter speed you want and rig your flash to fire at the power you want... and leave the synching to be your problem and not the camera's... if it is faster than 1/200

10-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #158
Veteran Member

I meant on the spec released.

BUt I see no take up of this within Consumer propducts ? anyway

and even adobe don't appear convinced

"There does not appear to be any commitment from Adobe (or any other company) to submit CinemaDNG to a standards body such as ISO"
Chuckle! I'm the one who wrote that last sentence, by 18 September 2009! (I created the CinemaDNG page in Wikipedia).

I haven't kept up with CinemaDNG so I don't know whether it is still valid.
10-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #159
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
$1299
I really hope it's that cheap!
10-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
price?

NaCl(if you have to ask "how much?" you can't afford it)H2O
I've ordered a very large cardboard box. I'm selling my house and moving into that cardboard box to pay for this camera.

If that isn't enough, I'm selling a couple of female relatives into slavery.
10-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
I'm curious about this... RAW would be good, no compression. I think MotionJPG is less compression than x264/h.264 which is heavily compressed... I prefer a 5 minute video that takes 1.5 GB... than a 200MB video that is full of compression artefacts...
Raw and uncompressed are Two different things. Raw is the output of the chips with out color and exposure information processed and baked into the storage file. popular RAW cinema cameras still employ data compression to their RAW files. RED Code is used by RED is actually a Lossy compression based on JPEG and stores RAW image infomrmation.

Not saying what the K3 might use but Raw moving video. but RAW does not have to be UNcompressed video. two different things
10-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #162
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow impressive specs... Now if FF Pentax Fitted with this. hehehw. But then again 24MP APS-C is really a winner.
10-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #163
Veteran Member

So here lies the problem from the way I see it, video-wise on the K-3 (if the specs are based on the pulled-out pages from the web), regardless of the format:

1. Does it have manual video controls?
2. Can it last recording as long as the K-01 does (which,I witnessed firsthand, can last an hour or so continuously), or still have the 13~20 minute limit before heating up?

As for flash sync speeds.... 1/500s is still my dream speed. Lots of options there, without having to go HSS (which for Pentax's part is mostly mounted, that's another problem, wireless HSS, and having to resort to multiple flashes to make it look good)
10-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #164
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
Raw and uncompressed are Two different things. Raw is the output of the chips with out color and exposure information processed and baked into the storage file. popular RAW cinema cameras still employ data compression to their RAW files. RED Code is used by RED is actually a Lossy compression based on JPEG and stores RAW image infomrmation.

Not saying what the K3 might use but Raw moving video. but RAW does not have to be UNcompressed video. two different things
ah yes... but you have to color correct and denoise and adjust the brightness and luminance of the videos anyway, no matter what format they are in... wouldn't RAW be faster to work with, because you don't have to decode it first? unless the video is motionjpg and you have a frameserver that pulls the frames directly for editing... i hope i'm not saying anything stupid i like working with video but I'm a complete amateur!
10-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So here lies the problem from the way I see it, video-wise on the K-3 (if the specs are based on the pulled-out pages from the web), regardless of the format:

1. Does it have manual video controls?
2. Can it last recording as long as the K-01 does (which,I witnessed firsthand, can last an hour or so continuously), or still have the 13~20 minute limit before heating up?

As for flash sync speeds.... 1/500s is still my dream speed. Lots of options there, without having to go HSS (which for Pentax's part is mostly mounted, that's another problem, wireless HSS, and having to resort to multiple flashes to make it look good)
I think the lever to switch between stills and video is genius, as it allows you to change video modes (P, Av, Tv, TAv, M) using the mode dial instead of diving into a menu. So to answer your question, I suspect that there is an M-mode.

I started a separate thread about the K-3's video capabilities:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238987-pentax-k-3-video-discussion.html