Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #166

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So here lies the problem from the way I see it, video-wise on the K-3 (if the specs are based on the pulled-out pages from the web), regardless of the format:

1. Does it have manual video controls?
2. Can it last recording as long as the K-01 does (which,I witnessed firsthand, can last an hour or so continuously), or still have the 13~20 minute limit before heating up?

As for flash sync speeds.... 1/500s is still my dream speed. Lots of options there, without having to go HSS (which for Pentax's part is mostly mounted, that's another problem, wireless HSS, and having to resort to multiple flashes to make it look good)
one of the specs mentioned a 25min limit ... thermal protection shutdowm

10-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Camera looks like a beast.
HD standard zoom pleeeease...
10-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
ah yes... but you have to color correct and denoise and adjust the brightness and luminance of the videos anyway, no matter what format they are in... wouldn't RAW be faster to work with, because you don't have to decode it first? unless the video is motionjpg and you have a frameserver that pulls the frames directly for editing... i hope i'm not saying anything stupid i like working with video but I'm a complete amateur!
with traditional video files they are like JPEG all of the color informmation and exposure are baked in to the file and even moderate changes are difficult to pull off sucessfully. RAW video like RAW photo has been the preferred working space for exposure and color post processing and has been on of the holy gails for us video guys for a while along with sensors larger than 110 film size.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the RAW option in video quality
10-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #169
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
with traditional video files they are like JPEG all of the color informmation and exposure are baked in to the file and even moderate changes are difficult to pull off sucessfully. RAW video like RAW photo has been the preferred working space for exposure and color post processing and has been on of the holy gails for us video guys for a while along with sensors larger than 110 film size.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the RAW option in video quality
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/10137981583/ it says 14-bit raw video there... i hope it's true. the video i recorded was "baked" too dark... but i managed to increase the luminance enough to bring out details from what was only black in the original video straight from the camera! i think this is a good sign... if pentax can make motionjpg that you can pull details out of... maybe their raw video is superb...

10-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was a given that this camera is going to reach my door before Christmas, but now I'm even more intrigued!

I'm very curious about this "Flucard". Reading the website and reviews, and the appstore on my android tablet this looks like a very similar product to the Eyefi card, but the Eyefi seems to be better supported, more reliable, and faster. However, in the documents posted on the second post of this topic I seem to be reading it as being implied that there will be a specific 16GB Pentax Flucard made available to give use these special features like control over the camera. I loved this feature using the wifi dongle when I owned a D600. I didn't use it a lot, but it was nice to have when I wanted it. So I can't wait to hear more about it.

I'm also very curious what the resolution of the back LCD is. One of the things I notice when I swap between my collection of cameras is that image review on my Q, Q7, and K5 is very "blah", grainy and distorted compared to the crisp clear views on my EM5 and D800. I haven't looked at a K5iis screen, but I hope that the K3 will give just as good image review.

How fast will the buffer clear with the SDXC cards? How will the buffer be affected if shooting in high burst jpg/raw with each going to a different slot, and once again, how fast will the buffer clear? Will it write 95/mbs or will it top out a lot lower? Speed speed speed!!!

I love that it used DLI90, I got a half dozen batteries already, so I won't have to support another cell pack which is a relief.

I'm very interested that they are now "advertising" that the focusing screens are interchangeable. I know that they were with the K5, but I don't recall them advertising the fact. So I'm wondering if we will see Pentax/Ricoh branded models.

The new metering sensor sounds fantastic, maybe even inspired by the LX?

Selectable AA is interesting. I'll probably leave it off.

H.264 is very very exciting. So are the available movie modes, and manual adjustment of audio while recording. I just wish there was a high speed mode. Guess I will still have to buy a Gopro...

no iso 80. Whatever. not a huge biggie. we will see if it still allows something below 100 expanded. And I sure hope iso 100 is native.

Interesting that they say the viewfinder is brighter....piquing my interest.

Now the flash speed hasn't been improved. but maybe the flash system has? 180 is still usable, but I would have preferred a 250. The question is, will it still fire if set to a higher speed like on Nikons. I can crop out the black bar if it allows me to reach my envisioned image.

What is this AF Expanded area?

10-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Since when in the real world has shutter speed had any effect on flash recycle time ?

Flash exposure is controlled via Aperture/ISO and is not related to shutter speed.
If you had a flash set to Xsync at 1/1000 it would still use the same power as the same flash exposed @1/60 without ambient light th exposures would also be identical.

Again nothing to do with 1/180 Vs 1/250, Flash/ambient is affected flash exposure settings not shutter .
And ambient exposure is controlled by?
Last time I checked it was aperture/sensitivity AND shutter speed.
-----
The key to understand what I am babbling about is the term flash/ambient mix.

When you reach the power limit of your flash, then you need to lower the ambient exposure to get the mix you are after. That's what you do with shutter speed when mixing flash and ambient. It's a pretty simple concept, when you know it.

This also implicates that you can lower your flash output, and thereby decrease the recycle time, if you are able to over power ambient.
10-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #172
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
It was a given that this camera is going to reach my door before Christmas, but now I'm even more intrigued!

http://images.lazygamer.net/2012/10/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
haha... this picture... says everything about how i feel

10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Without battery or removable memory: 25.2 oz == 714.4 grams
Loaded and ready: 28.2 oz == 799.4 grams
thanks for converting to modern units
10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Right, so it's gotten to the point where Ricoh is leaking itself

Before the pages get pulled and disappear:

so how low will the price for a K5Iis fall now...? how much better is the K3...?
and no new lens with decent specs for the new camera...!
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Google cache still has the product page: PENTAX - K-3 Limited Edition Silver
10-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #176
Pentaxian

The German K-3 page has an illustration for the new AA-filter simulation technique.
10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #177

Some specsheet files on my blog

PENTAX K3 – Specifications | Priyantha dot NL

And also some pictures of the new kit including some pictures which are supposed to be made by the K3 itself
PENTAX K3 – Pictures | Priyantha dot NL
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #178
Veteran Member

So does the English K-3 page.
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@priyantha - I could not make out the image size on the embedded images. Do you know what the K-3 max resolution image size is in pixels? Thanks for posting these. The images look very good although one can't really tell much from web-sized photos. The apparent studio shots with the DA* telephotos are very cool.

Jack
10-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #180
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@priyantha - I could not make out the image size on the embedded images. Do you know what the K-3 max resolution image size is in pixels? Thanks for posting these. The images look very good although one can't really tell much from web-sized photos. The apparent studio shots with the DA* telephotos are very cool.

Jack
6016x4000