Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OMG! Did you guys read about the AA on the K-3?

"Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter."

Thŕt, my dear boys and girls, is more like Pentax! Sneaking another world-first in under the radar! Awesome!

10-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

There is a reason for loving ....

Now lets keep our eye's en minds open .. and get testing !!
10-07-2013, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have read countless posts about how removing the AA filter on the K5IIs has resulted in only very rare instances of additional moire in real world shooting. So this appears to solve a problem that barely exists. I imagine most users would have it permanently switched off.
10-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fine print

Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. * This function is most effective with a shutter speed of 1/1000 second or slower. This function is not available during HDR shooting.

It has it's limitations, though it is nice that it's there

10-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

This is a trully new approach to an old problem. I am super excited to see there is real innovation in the new flagship. Bravo Pentax!
10-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about this to be honest. Since there seems to be very little moiré in 16MP images from the K-5IIs, I would expect even less at 24MP. So developing such a specific technology to remove such unlikely artifacts would seem excessive?

But perhaps I misunderstood and higher MP is just as sensitive to moiré? In which case this *is* a great option no one else offers.

I do hope they get it right from the first time though. I still remember the K-7's suboptimal SR implementation that resulted in consistently soft images at shutter speeds around 1/90s. I left for Brazil before this was "discovered" and returned with a lot of images that were softer than expected (chimping hadn't revealed this). Later on I simply avoided 1/90s and got great images out of that K-7. I really hope nothing like that will happen with this "novelty" technology. But I expect they're still building on the same basic SR mechanism and improving on it, so the risk should be very small...

Anyway, I'm still *very* excited about this K-3!!! Cannot wait to see the first results: AF tracking should be vastly improved (both performance and accessibility through a dedicated USER mode), and I'm very curious to see the DR out of this sensor. I wonder whether I'll miss ISO80 or not? I might for the slightly longer shutter speeds, but probably/hopefully not for the DR.

One thing's for sure: coming up with the ideal default setting for this camera will not be an easy thing. So many decisions to make...

Wim
10-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It seems like a marketing technology that wont have much real world use. Moire on the K-5IIs has not been a problem, so I don't see any reason for it to be a problem on the 24MP.

I am hoping that Pentax has plans to build on this technology and develop sensor shift multiple exposures and stacking giving you a 48MP image and a HDR RAW file.

10-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It's all about marketing guys. They need some USP's (Unique Selling Points) to differentiate themselves from the crowd.
10-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
good to know that there would not be a more expensive k3s
10-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
* This function is most effective with a shutter speed of 1/1000 second or slower. This function is not available during HDR shooting.
Always better to shoot for HDR manually anyway.
10-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
It's all about marketing guys. They need some USP's (Unique Selling Points) to differentiate themselves from the crowd.
And I hoped that was going to be some killer innovation in DR/noise. It still might be, but it doesn't look likely from the headline 'U'SPs
10-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Its a smart use of what is already there on the camera.
Much smarter than the complication that is the patented Nikon electronic AA filter (which is still just a patent).

Its a good option to have despite all the claims that it may be just marketing gimmick.
Just a year ago, ppl here were bring up grand theories on how the lack of an AA filter was the wrong move and turning them away from a K5IIs.
Now, I'm happy to see those theorists eat their words. (but I'm sure they will find another reason not to buy and stick to their 'best' K200; K20)

I don't even think Pentax spent much time developing it other than software and testing. (which takes effort and time of course)
10-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's pretty cool stuff - kind of like the adaptive optics for telescopes. Hmmm, I wonder....
10-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #14

Adaptive optics is something else, but this technology seems nice to be used, superresolution could be the next, perhaps via firmware updates if not already there.
10-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't wait for the firmware update which gives this feature to my K-5 IIs....