Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a difference between adaptative optics, and this ''shifting antialiasing'' sistem. Anyway, it is not only singular, but there are chanses to remain so in the future, because canikon do not have sensor shift. And if it work well, I hope a near future, can be used for a multiexposure multi megapixel in K-1 FF camera.

I am waiting for the tests result, but, I already think to sell a lens or two, to complete the money for this camera.

10-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #17

nice specs

but no idea if the cool 40MP Sensorshift could be implemented
Maybe with a FW update
10-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

From the spec sheet:

QuoteQuote:
Dust Removal: DR II (ultrasonic vibration to low pass filter)
Left over copy/paste from K-5 II?
10-07-2013, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It seems like a marketing technology that wont have much real world use. Moire on the K-5IIs has not been a problem, so I don't see any reason for it to be a problem on the 24MP.
Exactly. It's all about peace of mind. Without the AA filter on the K-5 IIs, a lot of people thought "OMG!!! Moire is going to ruin all of my pictures!!!" Now they can buy the K-3 knowing that the option is there if they need it, and then they can see for themselves that it's not a problem, and proceed to never use the feature.

In all the pictures I've taken with the K-5 IIs, I've seen moire once on a distant building, and once more on somebody's backpack. Neither situation was difficult to fix in post.

Still, this could be important to wedding and fashion photographers that deal with sharp pictures of clothes on a regular basis.

10-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

These features, like the SR simulated AA filter, are great. We dont need them most of the time, but for those rare instances where moire might show up, we can turn it on. No other brand allows the user to "toggle AA filter." Same thing for HDR and that other extra-MP thingy. Most of the time we have it disabled, but every now and again, or for certain types of photography, it is a real game changer. Its great that Pentax is finally getting the most out of their SR, leaving the competition in the dust.
10-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Still, this could be important to wedding and fashion photographers that deal with sharp pictures of clothes on a regular basis.
Except that if you are lighting with strobes, duration may be too short for this to be effective. (Don't know, just guessing.)
10-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

One use for this feature can be softening the image for portrets.

10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am hoping that Pentax has plans to build on this technology and develop sensor shift multiple exposures and stacking giving you a 48MP image and a HDR RAW file.
I believe that would be 96MP if implemented like Hasselblad does it.

This AA technology is kinda funny if you think about it - just sorta proves (from a purist technical standpoint) there should be no AA filter in the first place - "we can now blur the picture for you by shaking the sensor!"

Last edited by DSims; 10-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
10-07-2013, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #24

I've never had a problem with moire with my K-5 IIs, if I ever buy the K-3, this featured would be off all the time! I love the sharp detailed pictures my IIs gives me!
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
That's what I was thinking. Uncle Fred's houndstooth jacket could give an AA-less camera fits. If you know you're going to see moire, it's nice to have the optional filter.

PS More megapixels means less chance of moire, for those who were asking.
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I believe that would be 96MP if implemented like Hasselblad does it.

This AA technology is kinda funny if you think about it - just sorta proves (from a purist technical standpoint) there should be no AA filter in the first place - "we can now blur the picture for you by shaking the sensor!"
Mind you, there are restrictions like being limited to 1/1000s.
10-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
"Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator* applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter."

Thŕt, my dear boys and girls, is more like Pentax! Sneaking another world-first in under the radar! Awesome!
microscopic vibration = blurr
why does nobody here get it...?

another solution would be leneses with low MTF to avoid moiré
10-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
What makes you think we don't get it? Another name for AA filter is "blur filter." I think everybody is aware of this.
10-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't believe that moire is a non issue on the K-5iis as some here claim. The weak aa filter of the K10d frequently causes moire, and I've also seen it in 645d shots (not mine, unfortunately ;-)).
10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote

another solution would be leneses with low MTF to avoid moiré

I think there is no problem, have a look kere

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/238873-pentax-k-3-spec...ml#post2531074