Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
I personally would never sell a Tamron 70-200 2.8 for that lens unless I just did not the speed of the Tamron. For the price nothing beats the Tamron 70-200!
Hearing another user say that the k-3's screwdrive focus mechanism is quieter than the k-5, and knowing that the k-5's screwdrive is quieter and faster than my k-x means that I can expect much better results with regards to AF with the k-3 over my k-x

10-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #47
mee
Site Supporter

How do you know it was their strategy? I'm not sure one could even buy the DAL 18-55 WR on it's own.. so I don't see how you can say that strategy didn't work well when it doesn't appear they really attempted it in the first place; bundling a couple light, sealed versions of their basic zooms is a lot different than releasing and marketing a small subset of their lenses in WR form at retail.

And I suspect it really IS that easy.. but they want people to buy their more feature-rich, expensive lenses... buy the cow to get some milk.

All I was trying to say was I wished they had a lighter, sealed (DAL WR) version of some of their more popular lenses (such as this 55-300).. if you don't want that, you don't have to want it.. but I don't need the whole cow.. I bet there are others that wouldn't mind a lighter version too to get into the WR system. I just want cheap, sealed optics. No Quickshift.. I don't even need a hood.. plastic body is fine..
10-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
How do you know it was their strategy? I'm not sure one could even buy the DAL 18-55 WR on it's own.. so I don't see how you can say that strategy didn't work well when it doesn't appear they really attempted it in the first place; bundling a couple light, sealed versions of their basic zooms is a lot different than releasing and marketing a small subset of their lenses in WR form at retail.
There's no such thing as a DA-L 18-55 WR and if there was (I perfectly got your point and can understand but...) nobody would get the DA WR one.

And I suspect it really IS that easy.. but they want people to buy their more feature-rich, expensive lenses... buy the cow to get some milk.

All I was trying to say was I wished they had a lighter, sealed (DAL WR) version of some of their more popular lenses (such as this 55-300).. if you don't want that, you don't have to want it.. but I don't need the whole cow.. I bet there are others that wouldn't mind a lighter version too to get into the WR system. I just want cheap, sealed optics. No Quickshift.. I don't even need a hood.. plastic body is fine..
There's already multiple versions of these and I'd like to bring another one? That'd be even more funny
Up to know:

DA 18-55 (terminated), DA 18-55 II, DA 18-55 WR, DA-L 18-55
DA 50-200 (still current I think but not sure), DA 50-200 WR, DA-L 50-200
DA 50-300, HD DA 50-300 WR, DA-L 50-300

More?
The really stupid thing is that Pentax kept 'normal' DA versions.
They should have kept DA-L and DA WR versions. That's it, plenty enough IMO.
10-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
There's no such thing as a DA-L 18-55 WR and if there was (I perfectly got your point and can understand but...) nobody would get the DA WR one.
Yes, there is. It was introduced with the K-50. (And it's apparently still missing from the lens database...)

10-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
Yes, there is. It was introduced with the K-50. (And it's apparently still missing from the lens database...)
If this is true this is even more stupid: 4 current versions of a single lens?
I hope they at least discontinued the DA-L version... This is non sense.
10-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If this is true this is even more stupid: 4 current versions of a single lens?
I hope they at least discontinued the DA-L version... This is non sense.
4 current? I bet they only make the two WR versions now.
10-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #52
mee
Site Supporter

I think thibs means overall. There are the DA, DAL, DA WR, and DAL WR in 18-55mm form.
10-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I think thibs means overall. There are the DA, DAL, DA WR, and DAL WR in 18-55mm form.
Overall ther's one more discontinued (the non II version).

DA-L is, I hope discontinued but not for sure. They don't communicate much about -L versions.
DA II version is still officially on Pentax.jp website listing. Still manufactured? Dunno but still there.
The other two of course are current. This kind of a mess, isn't it ?

10-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #54
mee
Site Supporter

mm hmm it is.