Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What do you know; if only they were writing "Pentax" they could ignore the changes (e.g. Ricoh's ownership) and pretend it's the same Asahi Optical who made the first Pentax camera.
Or they would find other reasons for complaining, like serial numbers or something.
It's not the right shade of black.

10-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I like your thinking
Thanks Adam
10-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I wouldn't be surprised.
By the way, the thing with the serials is real, a certain blogger complained that it completely ruined the Limiteds.
10-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #139
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This is what we have waited for, for a long time.
Nice!
Cheers
Arne

10-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
The silver edition is also too silver!
10-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #141
Pentaxian

K3 battery life

I apologize if this has been discussed in the forms elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. I am trying to understand what causes the 25% reduction in battery life of the K3 compared to the K5II. The batteries are identical, so the K3 must simply draw more power. Possible power hogs include: the new larger LCD screen, the new Sony 24mp CMOS itself (how does power consumption compare with other cameras with this sensor?), the new shutter mechanism (it's rated for twice as many clicks, so it's clearly much changed), the anti-aliasing sensor shift (I can't believe that; it's a tiny fraction of the usual SR), the dual SD card slots, the hugely expanded exposure meter, the Prime III vs Prime II processing engine; ... any other ideas? Since it draws more power, does it run hotter?
10-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I apologize if this has been discussed in the forms elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. I am trying to understand what causes the 25% reduction in battery life of the K3 compared to the K5II. The batteries are identical, so the K3 must simply draw more power. Possible power hogs include: the new larger LCD screen, the new Sony 24mp CMOS itself (how does power consumption compare with other cameras with this sensor?), the new shutter mechanism (it's rated for twice as many clicks, so it's clearly much changed), the anti-aliasing sensor shift (I can't believe that; it's a tiny fraction of the usual SR), the dual SD card slots, the hugely expanded exposure meter, the Prime III vs Prime II processing engine; ... any other ideas? Since it draws more power, does it run hotter?
With the battery grip you get over 1000 pictures, take along two extra batteries and you can take 2000 pictures.

10-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #143
Pentaxian

More megapixels mean you need more processing power to develop the pictures. It's not the sensor itself drawing more power, but the prime III. 50% more pixels and 25% reduction in batterylive means the K-3 can shoot more pixels on one charge than the K-5.
10-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
More megapixels mean you need more processing power to develop the pictures. It's not the sensor itself drawing more power, but the prime III. 50% more pixels and 25% reduction in batterylive means the K-3 can shoot more pixels on one charge than the K-5.
Thanks. That seems plausible ... if the processing is the main contributor to power usage. It was never obvious to me whether power usage in a camera is dominated by electrical (e.g. picture processing, LCD illumination) or mechanical (e.g. lens focusing, aperture stop down, mirror raising) processes. The K5/K3 battery life difference suggests the former if you are right.
10-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #145
Pentaxian

It all depends on how you use the camera of course. When you predominantly shoot with liveview the back lcd will be a major power drawer. When you review each pic you take in detail, you will use more power. AF lenses, draw power. I don't know about the difference between screw-drive or in lens AF.
10-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The silver edition is also too silver!
Pink is the new blue....
10-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Talk about cognitive dissonance!

So everything was hunky dory under Hoya who starved the Pentax SLR line of resources and fired its best engineers, but a new parent company that is clearly devoting a lot of money and effort to re-energizing the brand (and is releasing what looks to be the best Pentax camera ever) but has the temerity to put their company name on the bottom rear of the camera is the bad guy?
Heh, Talk about cognitive dissonance? Sounds more like: Talk about wet blankets!
10-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
New accessory: "Pentax" labels to cover up "Ricoh" under the lcd display.
That's not nearly good enough. I'm going to bust out the engraver to remove all brands and then cover up the removal with a nice spray of flat black paint. I will debadge it, making my hunk of awesome look like trailer trash! In fact, I'm going to buy a silver model just to do this with.

If it's good enough for this Canon shooter, maybe it's good enough for you: Why I Mark Off the Canon Logos on My Camera Gear
10-20-2013, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #149
Den
Veteran Member

Not sure I would do this on my camera gear but I always remove the car dealer frame on my license plates and replace them with a plain one for the same reasons.
10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #150
Pentaxian

What did Pentax (or fill in appropriate brand name) ever do for me? Well that's obvious isn't it. Can you make a dslr and lenses?