Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I say "Thank you Ricoh for introducing a great new camera. A camera that preserves my investment in Pentax K mount lenses and a camera that is second to none in the APS-C marketplace." I anxiously await delivery.
During my film days, I’ve never used Pentax. I’ve used Canons and Nikons however; I have always envied people who used the OMs during the 80s to the 90s. Last 2008, after 15 years, I started my journey back to digital photography by acquiring an Olympus E-410 with the standard 2 lens kit. The following year I expanded my system with an E-30, a flash unit and a 35 mm macro only to find out that rumors were flying around that Olympus will kill the 4/3 systems. And yes, 10 years after the E-1, Olympus announced that they will no longer make 4/3 cameras but have provided a solution to 4/3 lens owners through m4/3 specifically the E-M1.
I am sure that the E-M1 is a fine camera. I’ve read the feedback from users and I think the camera will provide Olympus the sales that they are looking for. Yet, I do not believe in investing more lenses for a dead system and only to use adaptors in the future when my cameras need replacement. Plus, to fully appreciate the OMD cameras, one needs m4/3 lenses. Olympus lenses are so expensive and if I would compare pumping money into a new OMD system versus investing into a Pentax system I would say you save more on the latter.
Photography for me is both a hobby and an investment. I believe that a system must provide growth to its users. I’m just glad to see that the K mount has been here for years and will still be used in the future. I don’t know about you guys but, as a new Pentax user I really don’t mind having the name Ricoh at the back of the camera as long as my investment will allow me to grow into it through the years. I would still say thanks for improving the system. I hope I can afford to upgrade my system in the future.

10-21-2013, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My company was bought by another. For a few years we had both names in our public brand. Then most of the best legacy sales and management professionals went to other Firms, leaving only the best of the acquiring company and the remaining people from mine.

Naturally, since the weight of employees was then heavily skewed to the acquiring company, we dropped my old company name from the brand - what would be the point of keeping it?

Guess what happens if every legacy user leaves Pentax because there is a small, 5-letter word on the LCD?

Last edited by monochrome; 10-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
10-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Guess what happens if every legacy user leaves Pentax because there is a small, 5-letter word on the LCD?
As in "we would hate the Pentax name to disappear, so let's make it happen"? Pentaxians are strange...
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Excellent point.

10-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #170
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As in "we would hate the Pentax name to disappear, so let's make it happen"? Pentaxians are strange...
I'm so tempted to photoshop an image together of me engraving the brand off of my early serial FA 43 ltd and post it up as though I really did it.

Really guys?

Give me a FF camera, slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters and a freaking awesome K mount and I'll buy it. Done and done.
10-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #171

Can't wait for that!
10-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #172
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters
Does it have to be red? I know that's the Ricoh colors but I vote for white. It's kinda traditional
10-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #173
Veteran Member

I like the way the K-3 was presented here. The style at least, and some more stuff

10-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #174

I think this camera looks fantastic!
10-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Give me a FF camera, slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters and a freaking awesome K mount and I'll buy it. Done and done.
You're so easily pleased, Clinton!!!!
10-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #176

Hi folks,

This will be my first DSLR I had a choice between nikon D610 and the new K3. After visiting a photo show, the Pentax sales rep demonstrated to me that I did not need a full frame nor Hugh pricing lens to make great photos. That been said here is a description of my kit. Can anyone reassure me I took the best decision

K3 special edition
Pentax macro 100mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

I may be changing my Sigma 17-70mm for a sigma 17-50 f2.8 and looking for a Pentax 31mm 1.8 With all theses I will have all my range look for.

Rgs
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #177
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JC-K3 Quote
Hi folks,

This will be my first DSLR I had a choice between nikon D610 and the new K3. After visiting a photo show, the Pentax sales rep demonstrated to me that I did not need a full frame nor Hugh pricing lens to make great photos. That been said here is a description of my kit. Can anyone reassure me I took the best decision

K3 special edition
Pentax macro 100mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

I may be changing my Sigma 17-70mm for a sigma 17-50 f2.8 and looking for a Pentax 31mm 1.8 With all theses I will have all my range look for.

Rgs
The special edition is sold out. But yes, that sounds like a great lens setup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #178
Pentaxian

The sigmas are very nice to be sure but tend to be on the bulkier side, and where it's really at with Pentax is in the small Limited primes. Based on your planned purchases, it seems you have some money to play with, so I'd encourage you to explore a bit in this area. I have the 35mm f/2.8 DA Limited on my K-5 over half of the time these days, and the combo never disappoints (with the Low Light and DR capabilities of the body, 2.8 is plenty fast, and I generally only switch to a 1.7 or 1.4 if I absolutely need a shallower DOF), and I've had great experience with the other Limiteds I've used.

If you are planning on taking advantage of the K3's weather-resistance, then keep in mind also that the Sigmas are not weather sealed.

QuoteOriginally posted by JC-K3 Quote
Hi folks,

K3 special edition
Pentax macro 100mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Rgs
10-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #179

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The special edition is sold out.
I think previously you stated either in this thread or another that B&H had stopped taking preorders but thought they would have some available after they made sure they accounted for all that had been preordered. Do you know if that might still happen or do they know for sure that all the special editions they have allotted have been purchased?
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #180
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
I think previously you stated either in this thread or another that B&H had stopped taking preorders but thought they would have some available after they made sure they accounted for all that had been preordered. Do you know if that might still happen or do they know for sure that all the special editions they have allotted have been purchased?
Well, that's what B&H originally told me over the phone after I asked when how many kits they sold. But after talking to Pentax at PhotoPlus, they said that literally all the US silver models have been claimed, and it sounded like they would have to go out of their way to fulfill all of the orders that have already been placed.

BUT you never know! Some people always end up cancelling their orders or there could be other issues, so chances are that a select few lucky individuals will see the silver K-3 even if they haven't pre-ordered it yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: