Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #166
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,998
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Guess what happens if every legacy user leaves Pentax because there is a small, 5-letter word on the LCD?
Excellent point.

10-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,844
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As in "we would hate the Pentax name to disappear, so let's make it happen"? Pentaxians are strange...
I'm so tempted to photoshop an image together of me engraving the brand off of my early serial FA 43 ltd and post it up as though I really did it.

Really guys?

Give me a FF camera, slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters and a freaking awesome K mount and I'll buy it. Done and done.
10-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #168
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Can't wait for that!
10-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,654
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters
Does it have to be red? I know that's the Ricoh colors but I vote for white. It's kinda traditional

10-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #170
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,201

I like the way the K-3 was presented here. The style at least, and some more stuff
10-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #171
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
I think this camera looks fantastic!
10-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #172
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 28
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Give me a FF camera, slap RICOH on the front in enormous red letters and a freaking awesome K mount and I'll buy it. Done and done.
You're so easily pleased, Clinton!!!!
10-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #173
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Hi folks,

This will be my first DSLR I had a choice between nikon D610 and the new K3. After visiting a photo show, the Pentax sales rep demonstrated to me that I did not need a full frame nor Hugh pricing lens to make great photos. That been said here is a description of my kit. Can anyone reassure me I took the best decision

K3 special edition
Pentax macro 100mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

I may be changing my Sigma 17-70mm for a sigma 17-50 f2.8 and looking for a Pentax 31mm 1.8 With all theses I will have all my range look for.

Rgs

10-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #174
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,240
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JC-K3 Quote
Hi folks,

This will be my first DSLR I had a choice between nikon D610 and the new K3. After visiting a photo show, the Pentax sales rep demonstrated to me that I did not need a full frame nor Hugh pricing lens to make great photos. That been said here is a description of my kit. Can anyone reassure me I took the best decision

K3 special edition
Pentax macro 100mm
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

I may be changing my Sigma 17-70mm for a sigma 17-50 f2.8 and looking for a Pentax 31mm 1.8 With all theses I will have all my range look for.

Rgs
The special edition is sold out. But yes, that sounds like a great lens setup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #175
Senior Member
civano's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The special edition is sold out.
I think previously you stated either in this thread or another that B&H had stopped taking preorders but thought they would have some available after they made sure they accounted for all that had been preordered. Do you know if that might still happen or do they know for sure that all the special editions they have allotted have been purchased?
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #176
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,240
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
I think previously you stated either in this thread or another that B&H had stopped taking preorders but thought they would have some available after they made sure they accounted for all that had been preordered. Do you know if that might still happen or do they know for sure that all the special editions they have allotted have been purchased?
Well, that's what B&H originally told me over the phone after I asked when how many kits they sold. But after talking to Pentax at PhotoPlus, they said that literally all the US silver models have been claimed, and it sounded like they would have to go out of their way to fulfill all of the orders that have already been placed.

BUT you never know! Some people always end up cancelling their orders or there could be other issues, so chances are that a select few lucky individuals will see the silver K-3 even if they haven't pre-ordered it yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #177
Senior Member
civano's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, that's what B&H originally told me over the phone after I asked when how many kits they sold. But after talking to Pentax at PhotoPlus, they said that literally all the US silver models have been claimed, and it sounded like they would have to go out of their way to fulfill all of the orders that have already been placed.

BUT you never know! Some people always end up cancelling their orders or there could be other issues, so chances are that a select few lucky individuals will see the silver K-3 even if they haven't pre-ordered it yet.
Thanks Adam. I had been going back and forth about getting a K-3, possibly changing systems, or waiting for the possibility of a Pentax FF in the future. If I got a K-3, I wanted the limited edition but didn't decide in time to get a limited edition reserved. I really wanted to see how the autofocus system of the K-3 was after people actually got their hands on it and could discuss it in detail.

Maybe in the future, Pentax might offer more silver cameras since it was such a big hit!
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #178
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,945
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Thanks Adam. I had been going back and forth about getting a K-3, possibly changing systems, or waiting for the possibility of a Pentax FF in the future. If I got a K-3, I wanted the limited edition but didn't decide in time to get a limited edition reserved. I really wanted to see how the autofocus system of the K-3 was after people actually got their hands on it and could discuss it in detail.

Maybe in the future, Pentax might offer more silver cameras since it was such a big hit!
Try ordering from Heny's in Canada. I think I heard they were getting 50 and hardly any have sold.
10-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #179
Senior Member
civano's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Try ordering from Heny's in Canada. I think I heard they were getting 50 and hardly any have sold.
Thanks Norm. Being in the U.S. I've never ordered from Henry's only B&H and Adorama. You seriously are tempting me. I don't know why the silver and black appeal to me, I only have black lenses.

I just wish I would hear more about the focusing system through the view finder. I don't really focus through live view. I am hoping that it is a serious improvement from what I have which is the K-r. Recently, I went into a local camera shop and played around with the Nikon D7100 and the D600 and their focusing was spot on and I was really envious in the moment. I also wish the K-3 had a compositional grid through the viewfinder since I tend to tilt everything.
10-28-2013, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #180
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 47,240
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Thanks Adam. I had been going back and forth about getting a K-3, possibly changing systems, or waiting for the possibility of a Pentax FF in the future. If I got a K-3, I wanted the limited edition but didn't decide in time to get a limited edition reserved. I really wanted to see how the autofocus system of the K-3 was after people actually got their hands on it and could discuss it in detail.

Maybe in the future, Pentax might offer more silver cameras since it was such a big hit!
We'll be sure to do a detailed evaluation of the K-3's AF once we get the camera in our hands, so stay tuned for the in-depth review!

Personally, I wasn't blown away by the K-3's AF performance while playing around with it at PhotoPlus (but this is based on a pre-production body, so I don't want to speak too soon). Yes, the live view AF will feel a lot faster in good light thanks to the power powerful screwdrive motor, but it seemed to me that the K-3 was still using the older CDAF algorithm from the K-5 rather than the newer one deployed in the K-30/K-50. Through the viewfinder, the K-3 behaved just like the K-5 II. Although it has more AF points, they still cover the same area; the effect that this might have on tracking performance will be a part of our in-depth review.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-135mm, adorama, announcement, body, k-3, kit, pentax, pentax k-3, pentax news, pentax rumors, preview, silver
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-500, K-50, and Q7 cameras officially announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 346 07-08-2013 01:10 PM
Pentax K-30 Officially Announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 245 09-12-2012 08:32 PM
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs OFFICIALLY Announced Adam Pentax K-5 9 09-11-2012 08:43 AM
K-01 Officially Announced - *START HERE* + Interview with Marc Newson Adam Pentax News and Rumors 48 05-11-2012 05:29 PM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top