Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DP review says " we were hoping that the new AF system would be faster. " What's your assessment? Better yet, when is a comprehensive review coming?

10-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Just pre-ordered the silver special
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
DP review says " we were hoping that the new AF system would be faster. " What's your assessment? Better yet, when is a comprehensive review coming?
The in-depth review will have to wait until we get a production unit. The pre-production one was unfortunately missing some of its AF menus.

I would say that the improvements made to the AF system are nowhere near as significant as the other new & improved features, such as the movie mode or burst framerate. Adding more AF points is a start, though. Too bad they don't cover a larger area.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do you have any information about this, or it's just a supposition?
Yes; DXOMark, DPReview, Imaging Resource tests for example. The Toshiba sensor from the D7100 can't match the 16MP Sony sensor's ability to bring up shadow information, and even when scaled, it has "only" 13.7 EV compared to 14.1.

However, what I was asking was if you have information about the K-3's sensor being a Toshiba as well, since it's not clear from the preview; there was no need for the aggressive response.
But, I guess it was just a supposition.

10-07-2013, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This K3 will be awsome for birders !

For my type of photography (80-90 % birding), these specs below, until proven otherwise through reviews, will likely make me buy it in the near future:
(aside from the video improvement - which is good for those who need it though)

1. 24 MP: from 16 MP .... is this better for cropping? I would imagine it would be.
2. 27 points AF ... I would assume that this will be a plus for "tracking"
3. 8.3 fps ... good for me ! (read: BIF)
4. 200,000 clicks shutter life: again a great piece of news. Also good for resale value.
5. 86K- pixel metering: more likely to improve on "tracking" ... no idea why but I am guessing !
6. dual SD cards .... yeah !! I wonder of one will be able to use this new "FLU" card in one slot and a "normal" card in the other.
7. larger/brighter viewfinder .... another "Yeah!"
8. Great buffer (RAW). With BIF ... a good buffer sure comes in handy. The bigger, the better.

All in all, this is all great news and I am sure it will also attract newcomers to the Pentax family. Might even see more people switching from "other brands".

Can't wait to see the performance from users with telephoto lenses in the "higher" ranges: 300, 400, 500mm .... etc.

Cheers!

JP
10-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes; DXOMark, DPReview, Imaging Resource tests for example. The Toshiba sensor from the D7100 can't match the 16MP Sony sensor's ability to bring up shadow information, and even when scaled, it has "only" 13.7 EV compared to 14.1.

However, what I was asking was if you have information about the K-3's sensor being a Toshiba as well, since it's not clear from the preview; there was no need for the aggressive response.
It's likely to be the Toshiba since the only alternative would be a 2 year old sony (nex-7 a77). Samsung is still behind. Aptina doesn't have one. Kodak is dead, there are more players but none are able to do a better job.
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A great overview, Adam. A lot of new and neat features and a few nagging ones not addressed as you pointed out. The buffer capacity is impressive though I'd like to know how long after full it takes to wake up and start working again after it writes to the card. Long exposure recovery and general write/preview times, even on my current K-5, are lackluster which is a main reason I upgraded. That said, going back to my K100D in comparison now feels dreadfully slow and feature lacking.

While I'd buy a K-3 or more likely a K-3II I don't see this camera appealing to the average consumer based on screen resolution, additional cost for wifi-gps or lack of touch screen. Features that are mostly insignificant but will take people's money even if they have to pay more. The sync speed may deter portrait/wedding photogs. Overall, a solid camera at a fantastic price.

10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

VERY impressed by the specs here! Seems like they're really paying attention to the feedback they receive and to the current market offerings.

So AF may or may not be improved, not 100% sure on that, yet?

Definitely interested in this guy, even though my K30 is still a beast!!
10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's likely to be the Toshiba since the only alternative would be a 2 year old sony (nex-7 a77). Samsung is still behind. Aptina doesn't have one. Kodak is dead, there are more players but none are able to do a better job.
Sony had over 2 years to make a new sensor.
I'm not saying it isn't Toshiba, I was just asking if that's a guess or information.
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how the confidentiality agreements work, but can anyone who tried a K-3 now tell us what it was like and post photos of their pre-production units for us to ponder?
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's a luminance flux sensor? It has three of them, so that must be good, right?
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
K-3 with 18-135 ordered. I'll have it by 10:00 AM on 16 November.
I don't know why I cannot order through B&H. It said I have problem with my card but that is not true. So I come up with Adorama with $19.99+ to get additional 2 year warranty . Hope to get it soon
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #28

Hands On Video

Here is a hand on video from C-net:

I don’t like some of her appreciations but at least you get to see the camera body and screen - I for one LOVE it! Let’s see how Focus tracking and Flu-Card Tethering work out.

Last edited by mgbirder; 10-07-2013 at 04:42 PM.
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looks pretty amazing to me. I really like the launch price of 1299 -- previous flagship APS-C cameras have launched at 1500. I will definitely replace one of my K5s with one of these before too long.
Gotta make space.....
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

So let me see if I understand. When you quote someone's post and ask "Do you have any information about this, or it's just a supposition?" It's just asking for information, but when someone quotes your post and asks "Do you have any information about this, or it's just a supposition?" it's an aggressive response. Hm..... interesting.