Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #61

I am glad to see Pentax putting up so much work into APS-C sized format. I think it is time that people realized that APS-C can be used for pro work. For years, people felt medium format was needed to do pro work, when 35mm was up to the task. I feel the same is happening now with FF and APS-C.

Mainly, though, I'm hoping this will move things to some WR wide angles. The main thing that made me reluctant to go from FF to APS-C was lack of wide angles. When I got on the APS-C bandwagon, things had matured, and I really like my my 14mm, although I hear great things about the 15mm. (money and opportunity determined which I got). But I find myself out in the rain--generally a light one--and never worry about my K-5... but I am a little apprehensive about standing out in the rain with a non-WR lens. Anyway... I'm hoping they'll get some sealed WR wides, cause it looks like they are serious about APS-C. Of course... I guess I could have figured all that out from their new limited HD coating lenses.

10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #62
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
For the benefit of those who are new here: with notably rare exceptions* ALL K-MOUNT LENSES will work just fine with the K-3.

---

(1) Some old Ricoh K-mount lenses will get stuck because of the "Ricoh pin" that was used to transmit aperture info to the body. Ah, the irony.

(2) Some old third-party K-mount lenses have a shroud intended to protect the aperture lever that bumps into the SDM contacts and prevents the lens from mounting. This shroud can be removed.

(3) Old manual focus K-mount lenses will remain manual focus.

(4) Old manual aperture K-mount lenses will remain manual aperture.

Did I forget anything?
Don't forget about the old TAK lenses, I use them all the time with my K-5 with the M42 adapter.
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Is the in body AF motor quieter than the k-5 series?
10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #64
Veteran Member

The folks that said that the D7100 looked like garbage at high ISOs, will they be buying this camera?

10-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Anyone know if it will have a clean/uncompressed HDMI output? It doesn't seem to say one way or the other that I could find. That would be most excellent.
10-07-2013, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #66

Photos: Albums
Maybe Sony sensor?

Just saw this review:

Ricoh launches new flagship Pentax K-3 DSLR
It features a 24 MP Sony sensor and no anti-aliasing filter

Not sure where they got their info, but Sony seems pretty prominently displayed...

Either way, now I just need to find an excuse to get one?? Maybe scratch the "0" off my blue K-30, tell my wife I'm re-painting it and come home with a K-3?? Yeah, that'll work :P
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Just saw this review:

Not sure where they got their info, but Sony seems pretty prominently displayed...

Either way, now I just need to find an excuse to get one?? Maybe scratch the "0" off my blue K-30, tell my wife I'm re-painting it and come home with a K-3?? Yeah, that'll work :P
Well, they're nearly $500 off on the price, so they may be off in other ways, too.

10-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zjinqui1k Quote
But I find myself out in the rain--generally a light one--and never worry about my K-5... but I am a little apprehensive about standing out in the rain with a non-WR lens. Anyway... I'm hoping they'll get some sealed WR wides, cause it looks like they are serious about APS-C. Of course... I guess I could have figured all that out from their new limited HD coating lenses.
Personally I wouldn't waste the extra on WR lenses as the sealing is pretty poor. It's really only good under light drizzle or an infrequent/accidential splash. I had my 18-55 WR out in the rain for only a few minutes and the front laminated elements hazed inside. The front seal is nothing more than a cheap piece of felt pushed in place covered by plastic finishing ring. There's no special rubberized o-rings to keep water out except on the mount. WR lenses are mostly insurance to the body, IMO. I e-mailed PENTAX Canada with photos and asked how to resolve yet never received a reply. I just put the front element in a vacuum sealed container with silica gel bags overnight and it was fine. The DA* line has better sealing yet high priced and limited selection.
10-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Well, they're nearly $500 off on the price, so they may be off in other ways, too.
Touché...to their credit I think they just did a straight currency conversion from the UK launch price of £1099.
10-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Just saw this review:

I couldn't be married to anyone I'm that scared of.
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Personally I wouldn't waste the extra on WR lenses as the sealing is pretty poor. It's really only good under light drizzle or an infrequent/accidential splash. I had my 18-55 WR out in the rain for only a few minutes and the front laminated elements hazed inside. The front seal is nothing more than a cheap piece of felt pushed in place covered by plastic finishing ring. There's no special rubberized o-rings to keep water out except on the mount. WR lenses are mostly insurance to the body, IMO. I e-mailed PENTAX Canada with photos and asked how to resolve yet never received a reply. I just put the front element in a vacuum sealed container with silica gel bags overnight and it was fine. The DA* line has better sealing yet high priced and limited selection.
Hazing is an indication of temperature change, and thus condensation. If your WR lens was actually affected by the rain, it wouldn't "haze", you would notice water droplets within the lens.

Condensation is a nearly unavoidable effect of temperature change regardless of the lens you use, be it DA* or WR.
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
Is the in body AF motor quieter than the k-5 series?
No it sounds like a space shuttle launch. buy a rubik's cube!
10-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Did you mean "fogged up"? JinDesu is right; it happens because of temperature change, not really just the rain. Humidity also plays a factor. I've seen plenty of the "cheap" WR kits splashed and rained on and still go fine. I've heard of more K-30 bodies getting damaged than the WR lenses suddenly going out...
10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I couldn't be married to anyone I'm that scared of.
LOL I just got the K-30, lenses below and another camera (for her) this year...she never said a word but somehow I have a feeling the K-3 would raise an eyebrow
10-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Wireless tethering, 200.000 guaranteed shutter actuations, the AF, it all smells like very serious professional gear to me! I would buy it if I didn't have an excellent camera to shoot my K-mount beauties with already. With that rumored 40mp virtual-MF feature I would have been hitting pre-order now. Same goes for the rumored selectable EVF/OVF. Having peaking in the VF should speak for itself nowadays, especially when the backwards compatibily is one of your major features. I'm going to wait and see how the new Sony FF OMD clone is going to deliver.

Last edited by Clavius; 10-08-2013 at 12:46 AM.