Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndreyDF Quote
Yes, I said that.

Why?

Because to me the only real message behind this announcement is that a FULL FRAME Pentax DSLR is put off again, and God knows till when...
I have said this else where, but I really believe that Ricoh has had to build the frame work necessary to push upper end products out. There was no other option. Releasing a full frame camera with the same rudimentary auto focus system that was present in basically every camera from the K7 to the 645D was just not an option and yet, Hoya had gutted the R and D such that there wasn't anything available, it had to be built from the ground up. In addition, bottom tiers of cameras feed the upper tiers. You need to have a good base of APS-C cameras and users before you can launch a full frame camera, or it will be a disaster.

Obviously most people want what they want and they want it right now, but the best thing is to do what Ricoh has done and methodically build a platform that full frame can stand on -- probably next year.

10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #107
Pentaxian

I agree, it is quite possible. However, I can't figure why Pentax should wait any longer with FF launch? If they can make it, they should.

Hear that Kodak stops making photo films?
However Kodak photo films are still being made, just now it is owned by the UK Kodak pension fund
10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Maybe they're rebuilding the K-mount, from the high volume base models upwards? Maybe it's more difficult to launch an expensive low volume product? Maybe that's the proper order, first the APS-C K-3 then the FF?

You're mentioning Kodak because...?
Easy. AGFA is out, Kodak is out, - who's left? Fuji alone (Ilford, Rollei, Efke and other marginal, mostly BW = limited audience brands not counted). And Fuji will not make film alone - they're deep into digital, that means they will also ditch the film. Completely. BTW, they almost did - see their website.

Question: Who will grab the customer base made of film shooters packed with FF lenses of all ages?
10-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Thom Hogan posted a very funny headline:

Meanwhile, Meet the Pentax D400 | byThom | Thom Hogan

10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #110

Answer: Pentax with built-in image stabilisation has every chance to get it.

Who else is making in-camera IS now?
10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Very realistic approach to product line development logics
10-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Okay, so the headline is funny and I get that he sees Pentax doing something that Nikon has so far failed to do ... but ...

What on earth is he saying about bracketing steps in the second paragraph? Does he really think that bracketing can only be done in +/- third or half stops?

10-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Answer: Pentax with built-in image stabilisation has every chance to get it.

Who else is making in-camera IS now?
Olympus and Sony.
10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The same as us before the K-3 came. And when the D400 does come out, they're gonna go wild... or not. Pentax had a reason for the delay (and thus the K-5 IIs) that it can throw at its consumer base, which is the transition to Ricoh management, but Nikon doesn't. And the current D300s users are stuck with the K-x sensor for 4 years now. Curious what does the D300s have that the D7100 doesn't, aside from full mag-alloy body...

but in any case, cheers for Ricoh finally showing everyone they're not killing the Pentax brand like everybody thought.
10-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #115

ive just purchased a K5 6 weeks ago arghhhhh lol back to saving the pennies, but what first the K3 or the Pentax 55-300mm WR lens decisions decisions, so glad the lens got announced as i was ready to get the SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR nearly purchased it on monday phew.
10-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Because to me the only real message behind this announcement is that a FULL FRAME Pentax DSLR is put off again, and God knows till when...
Quite the opposite - this shows that Pentax under Ricoh is serious about serious photo equipment again. And that means that 645D II and an FF are both in the pipeline, IMHO :-)

Btw, to Adam and others that have held a K-3: Are there any signs that the K-3 body may have been constructed in a way that makes it easy to transform it into an FF body?
10-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Yes, I said that.

Why?

My thoughts exactly. I don't think Pentax will ever market an FF camera. Which is OK, sensors get better and better. Try finding the differences between pictures from the 24mp APS-C sensor of the K-3 and those of a 24mp FF camera. There will be differences of course, but none that people will really care about. And they're probably in favour of the APS-C sensor too. That's why, countrary to popular belief, I'm guessing APS-C isn't the dead end street everybody claims to be after all.
10-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #118

Has this been posted: Sample Images?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING
10-09-2013, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ExtremeWalker Quote
ive just purchased a K5 6 weeks ago arghhhhh lol back to saving the pennies, but what first the K3 or the Pentax 55-300mm WR lens decisions decisions, so glad the lens got announced as i was ready to get the SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR nearly purchased it on monday phew.
Don`t worry, by your previous posts it seems you`re just starting out and you probably won`t run into the limits of the K5. It is still one heck of a camera and probably more capable than you are, so buy the 55-300, spend some qualitytime together and enjoy the learningprocess
10-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just check on BHphoto and Adorama, and I think the Silver is already out of stock, so quickly!!!

Pentax K-3 Premium Silver Edition DSLR Camera (Body Only) 15563

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Premium Silver 15563