Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #196

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We'll be sure to do a detailed evaluation of the K-3's AF once we get the camera in our hands, so stay tuned for the in-depth review!

Personally, I wasn't blown away by the K-3's AF performance while playing around with it at PhotoPlus (but this is based on a pre-production body, so I don't want to speak too soon). Yes, the live view AF will feel a lot faster in good light thanks to the power powerful screwdrive motor, but it seemed to me that the K-3 was still using the older CDAF algorithm from the K-5 rather than the newer one deployed in the K-30/K-50. Through the viewfinder, the K-3 behaved just like the K-5 II. Although it has more AF points, they still cover the same area; the effect that this might have on tracking performance will be a part of our in-depth review.
I just got my silver K-3 last night and have to say I am really impressed with the AF. It seemed MUCH faster. Also, I have had issues with my smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens on my K-5. When between say 35-70mm there were many times that it just would not lock and would have to fiddle with the zoom to finally get it to. Trying it out last night on the new K-3 - DAMN SON! It was like a champ and bang on sharp. Was also playing with the 300mm in the apt just to see and I am a very happy camper. Was really impressed with the speed and quality of the shots. The back screen is really nice as well. A few new features to play with too. Overall a great product. I was a little disappointed though with the battery grip as it felt a little too "plastic" and a little cheap.

Attached Images

11-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #197

We'll be sure to do a detailed evaluation of the K-3's AF once we get the camera in our hands, so stay tuned for the in-depth review!
For myself and as a macro shooter one of the strongest(and most unique) features of recent Pentax DSLRs is catch-in-focus(CIF). However, from what I have read there is some question about the implementation of CIF in the K3. Certainly without the full implementation of CIF there is no way that I will upgrade - it would make things just too hard to place that sliver of DOF on the right spot.

Ozzy_mate
11-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ozzy_mate Quote
For myself and as a macro shooter one of the strongest(and most unique) features of recent Pentax DSLRs is catch-in-focus(CIF). However, from what I have read there is some question about the implementation of CIF in the K3. Certainly without the full implementation of CIF there is no way that I will upgrade - it would make things just too hard to place that sliver of DOF on the right spot.

Ozzy_mate
The focus peaking feature in live view would appear to be a way to also get focus with a narrow DOF where you want it to be. I have not tried it with macro yet but it worked great using an SMC 500 with 1.4 rear converter which also presents DOF issues.
11-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #199

Чем можно объяснить такой провал на ISO 3200 у К-3 по тестам.
http://photo.qip.ru/show/465em-3kn917/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Last edited by LubaSAB; 11-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.
12-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LubaSAB Quote
Чем можно объяснить такой провал на ISO 3200 у К-3 по тестам.
???? - ?-(??)

Imaging Resource "Comparometer"
Anyone tried to download the DNG?

(K-5 is similar - I wonder if this is just a consequence of the default "bright" mode)
01-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #201
Forum Member

Ricoh's just a goofy name, pure and simple. Might was well scrawl "Ricky Swah-vay" on the exterior, gives about the same outlandish effect, er well, I am exaggerating of course. Ahem. Pentax sounds like it means business right out of the gate.
01-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Ricoh has done a good job with K-3, and we all hope that will do so from now on. But Ricoh must understand that people are not companies. People want to like what they are buying from the box the product came in, manual, and, very important, the name. And I like Pentax. and I think that 99% of people from this forum, maybe 100%, like Pentax.

I saw on a PhotoUniverse movie a camera store in Oregon, and on the shelfs there was only Ricoh name. I didn't like it. Of course, I will buy Pentax, at least for the near future. But I like the name, Pentax. And I am a Pentaxian. Period.

01-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #203
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Ricoh has done a good job with K-3, and we all hope that will do so from now on. But Ricoh must understand that people are not companies. People want to like what they are buying from the box the product came in, manual, and, very important, the name. And I like Pentax. and I think that 99% of people from this forum, maybe 100%, like Pentax.

I saw on a PhotoUniverse movie a camera store in Oregon, and on the shelfs there was only Ricoh name. I didn't like it. Of course, I will buy Pentax, at least for the near future. But I like the name, Pentax. And I am a Pentaxian. Period.

Good point JimmyDranox, but realistically Ricoh owns Pentax now, and Ricoh is letting everyone know that. From a marketing perspective I can understand that, but with the launch of the K3, Ricoh will be making cameras for Pentax with the help of Pentax engineers. This will be something all Pentax fans will have to accept, and I don't feel Ricoh will change that.

Last edited by liquid0; 02-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
02-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #204

This looks nice. Can't wait for a FF Pentax.
07-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #205

Guess it'll be 99.9% then because personally I couldn't care less what name is on the outside as long as the quality that I've loved about Pentax since my first 35mm SLR in the early 80s is in the inside.
07-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Hmm..where have I heard this before?

07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #207
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash95 Quote
This looks nice. Can't wait for a FF Pentax.
Well you will have to.
07-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm..where have I heard this before?

It's very possible that someone else has the same idea like mine. As far as I remember, I've always liked this name, Pentax, even when this cameras was to expensive for me, and all that I could afford was an old Russian film camera.
07-29-2014, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #209

K3 Prestige Edition

Having purchased my K3 in december, I can say that I am pleased with its performance, and plan on purchasing the new limited edition to help me in my shooting; one for my 18-135 kit lens and one for a telephoto. I will keep my original and will use both while shooting.

The debate about what delineates a "Pro Camera" is a moot point. A person that makes ones living with a camera does not make that camera a "Pro Camera", and using a "Pro Camera" does not make a person a "Pro".

What makes a "Pro Camera" is the features it has and its capabilities; It is up to the user to use it's potential. 40 years ago I purchase my first Pentax, the MX, and I proceeded to do what others couldn't with the cameras of that era. I had a great camera and I used it to the best of it's ability and now I'm enjoying my K3 the same way. I shoot birds, wildlife, nature and landscapes; none of which are for sale. The only pictures that I post are my junk or "seconds", never my keepers. And once every year I will have a private showing of my gifts to my close friends and family.

So, yes, this introduction is selling another great Pentax camera to me because I am having fun again and I am getting the results that I demand of my equipment. I expect that on occasion one or the other will be put into the hands of a family member or fellow photo wildlife photographer, in hopes of making a convert.

Signed " Having a blast shooting again"
11-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #210

Well, it's finally here! Pentax has just officially announced the K-3, a 24-megapixel DSLR featuring all-new hardware and the best specs of any Pentax camera to date.

Pentax K-3: Announcement and Detailed Preview by PentaxForums.com

• 24-megapixels
  • No AA filter, but the SR mechanism can be used to simulate it if desired
  • 8.3 FPS shooting up to 60 frames at full resolution
  • 27-point AF
  • 60 FPS 1080i video with full manual controls and H.264 format
  • Wireless tethering support
  • 200,000-frame shutter life
  • 0.95x viewfinder and 3.2" LCD
  • $1299
Please visit our homepage for a detailed preview of all the K-3's features, as well as some hands-on comments:

I have secured an exclusive deal for PF members who pre-order the K-3 at B&H: all kits will include a free 32Gb SD card as well as a spare battery.

Purchase links:

Special silver edition (2000 worldwide, couple hundred for the US market):

Brilliant, was the reason I chose to buy one!!