Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #61

how do you know that they have a 70/80-200 in the works? is it f2,8 ?

10-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Maybe this is a great business to be in, with a rosy future
IIRC the production plan was originally limited to 10,000 units. DFK just how many have actually shipped, but suppose their mfg profit was $1,500 on a $5,000 wholesale shipped price * 10,000 units. Since it uses materially no camera-specific technology save the sensor $1,500,000 to the bottom line seems like a reasonable incentive.

Plus, there are still Japan-only lenses in production.
10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC the production plan was originally limited to 10,000 units. DFK just how many have actually shipped, but suppose their mfg profit was $1,500 on a $5,000 wholesale shipped price * 10,000 units. Since it uses materially no camera-specific technology save the sensor $1,500,000 to the bottom line seems like a reasonable incentive.

Plus, there are still Japan-only lenses in production.
Yes, a handy contribution and the lens sales are possibly very profitable too. However, that was then, under Hoya, and now under Ricoh folks may be looking for bigger fish. I've no idea, since they have a lot of choices from dropping it all the way to using it as a bridgehead into professional territory with a service network, lucrative accessories et al. I guess we'll soon see. Sounds as if the larger-format world may start altering over the next 12 months anyway, at least from all the rumours around.
10-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Well that was a K5 with a slightly misaligned front mount from a K-01
Aah, I see it now, thanks!

10-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #65
Forum Member

Take a look at one of my other posts today and read between the lines. No guarantees but they have it developed and prepped for manufacturing. TTFN

Last edited by pento57mm; 10-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.
10-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
A patent for this lens (in full format) has been registered by Pentax may be one year ago. There was a thread about it on this topic
10-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's quite hard to see what any 645D would be for. What is the point of this camera? What is its market? As the present camera stands, it must represent a tiny marginal business to Ricoh. New FF sensors are starting to impinge at the lower end, while there are noises of Canon and Nikon making moves at the higher end. So at the moment, the 645 project looks a bit of an awkward 'tweener between FF and the PhaseOne/Hasselblad crowd.

Maybe this is a great business to be in, with a rosy future. I just don't know which is why I am asking. I'm assuming Ricoh would like to concentrate their efforts in areas with a good return and a good future. I mean, no doubt the 645D is an excellent landscape camera, for example. But at so much more than a Nikon D800E which has a simply huge accessories catalogue and pro support network behind it? Hmmn.
If I recall correctly one of the reasons RICOH took over PENTAX was the 645D. Ricoh is one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) in the office business world with copiers and other equipement and they wanted to use the 645D (not the complete camera) as part in their big professional copiers. It could well be that they sell more of those large copiers than 645D's per year so the 645D becomes more of a bonus to them. .

10-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
If I recall correctly one of the reasons RICOH took over PENTAX was the 645D.
In fact, there was so much talk about the 645D and the Q that some of the perpetually nervous in this forum took it as a sign that the K-mount was dead :-)
10-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #69

It's quite hard to see what any 645D would be for. What is the point of this camera? What is its market? As the present camera stands, it must represent a tiny marginal business to Ricoh. New FF sensors are starting to impinge at the lower end, while there are noises of Canon and Nikon making moves at the higher end.
Have a look at the kind of words used to describe the D800 and it's 'system' (ie, it doesn't have one), and not the first time it's been said this way:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/238836-...what-deal.html

So at the moment, the 645 project looks a bit of an awkward 'tweener between FF and the PhaseOne/Hasselblad crowd.
It's a different crowd all right; one that prefers to own it's cameras and shoot often, rather than rent or lease them for the occasional shoot. I don't yet charge $25k per sitting, so, yeah, different. Obviously I'm stretching it a bit here, I do know of one studio in town that I think owns 2 or 3 'Blads, but at $35-$55k I'd worry about my business model and not my manufacturers...

Maybe this is a great business to be in, with a rosy future. I just don't know which is why I am asking. I'm assuming Ricoh would like to concentrate their efforts in areas with a good return and a good future. I mean, no doubt the 645D is an excellent landscape camera, for example. But at so much more than a Nikon D800E which has a simply huge accessories catalogue and pro support network behind it? Hmmn.
So, full disclosure time, I just bought a 645 (film, not D), mainly for portraiture. The look of the larger sensor/film area is what grabbed me. It is an impossibility of physics to get that look any other way. And before anyone says 'Oh, you can shoot 30mm 1.4' .... HAH! If you want your subjects noses to look as big and distorted as a moose, maybe. I own a Sigma 30mm for my K5, and it's a great lens - if your have some distance between you and a human subject. Otherwise it's Bozo the Clown time. Or you're standing so far away you have to yell at your client. Classy.

I really think Pentax does ok on the digital bodies, heck, if they can offer a limited run of those red lacquered 645D's, I think the black bodied ones are a no-brainier. And they sold like hot cakes, enough to be released outside of Japan. Even my local store sells them!

As for support, I've always had 2-3 week turnaround; so I do have backup bodies, still, I'd love to see a pro/loaner program!
10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #70
JPT
Pentaxian

Pentax 645 seems to have a fairly major following here in Japan amongst landscape photographers. There are a few magazines devoted to landscape photography and while there are plenty of pictures from Canon and Nikon FF, Pentax MF seems to be the most commonly used brand overall. Most seem to be the 645N II, and not so many with the 645D. This makes me wonder whether the 645D was too costly to appeal to them or whether the crop factor bothered them. It may just be that it is an older crowd that don't want to go digital. In any case, I think there is a significant non-professional following for Pentax 645 in Japan that probably makes it worthwhile for Pentax to keep developing the line.
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard that it is the electronic K to E mount adapter. This will be cool. I can switch to Sony.
10-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #72
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Agreed that this is what the 645DII has been waiting for (the Fujitsu Milbeaut version 7 ... AKA PRIME III) . The sensor? My bet is on this one:
KAF-50100 - TRUESENSE 6.0-micron Full Frame CCD Platform - Technologies - Products - Full Frame CCD (formerly Kodak's sensor division) although it could also be this one: Image Sensors World: Teledyne-DALSA Announces 60MP Medium-Format CCD
Updating the 645D with only electronics (PRIME III, metering and SAFOX II) is not logical. So a new sensor would be the timing to update the whole camera. While both suggested sensors would be good for a second camera, I still wonder iff the route to CMOS wouldn't be the way to go?
10-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
You may check patent US 20120229689 !
Search for
" TABLE-US-00014 TABLE 14 ZOOM LENS SYSTEM DATA Zoom Ratio 2.82 Short Focal Length Intermediate Long Focal Length Extremity Focal Length Extremity FNO. 2.9 3.0 2.9 f 70.21 118.15 198.32 W 17.8 10.4 6.1 Y 21.64 21.64 21.64 fB 2.49 2.49 2.48 L 296.16 ... "

You can find the legend on line [0082[
10-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #74
Pentaxian

How about a monochrome only body? (No bayer array, high detail.) That would be a surprise, but I know at least a few that want it. A K01-like 16MP B&W only body that didn't cost too much -- that would be tempting...
10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #75
Veteran Member

So here we go again. Getting our hopes up for something spectacular, only to be really disappointed when the reality hits.