Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #181

Photos: Albums
Yes, but will only work with FF lenses unless you find some way of swapping the speed boost element(s) in and out. Otherwise you risk vignetting from the DA lenses that don't cover the whole FF image circle, or soft edges from those that do, but haven't been optimised to do so. Would I be happy with something that would only work well with my FA24, FA43 and FA77? Actually I probably would if it had a really good EVF. I need multifocals nowadays so looking at the rear screen is a pain in the $%#!

12-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Possible... maybe, but not feasible I'd guess.
I can think of two possible approaches for the incorporated "speed booster":
- retractable - will take way too much space
- variable 1x-0.71x factor - complex optics which needs to be fitted in a limited space
A modular approach should be better, but still it's on a level of complexity I don't expect to see.
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
ahh...

I thought I wrote "jk", for "just kidding".
Oh. Oops! My bad I edited my Reply accordingly - but it would be really cool if they did it!!
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Would a focal reducer adapter K-mount (FF) -> K-mount (APS-C) work? Or impossible because registration distance change is part of the equation?

12-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #185

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The K-3 with the non-Pentax FLUcard certainly works for image transfer. If you've been following the discussion on the K-3, you'll know that the dedicated Pentax FLUcard will allow tethering, which is what I think you're wanting. It's actually half the reason I bought a K-3. The delay in availability of the Pentax FLUcard is a little frustrating, but we're now told it's due in March 2014.
Haven't been following the K3, because the K3 is out of my price range. I just take pictures for fun, when I have time, and I'm looking more at the range of where the K50 is now. But.... I think I'll just keep using my old camera for a while longer and see what comes out by next spring.
12-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh. Oops! My bad I edited my Reply accordingly - but it would be really cool if they did it!!
Well, it is fifty years since Kennedy was shot, so you can be excused for subconsciously absorbing the reference into another meaning...

That aside, it's an interesting concept, isn't it? I keep looking at the Full Frame Shots and Thoughts thread and wondering (mostly) why people are going on about it - with all due respect, there's some pretty prosaic stuff there, which no-one could tell was shot with a 35mm or APS-C sensor. I have a feeling though, that the so-called Speed Booster element might have to be interchangeable to optomise performance for different focal lengths. I guess, if so, that'd be a first, too, if Sony doesn't steal this idea and push it out beforehand, as part of their Spray and Pray product range policy.
12-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
Haven't been following the K3, because the K3 is out of my price range. I just take pictures for fun, when I have time, and I'm looking more at the range of where the K50 is now. But.... I think I'll just keep using my old camera for a while longer and see what comes out by next spring.
A little while longer, and the K-3 will be sub-$1,000. If you don't need blazing AF speed and very low-light capability, the *istD is a very nice camera. I occasionally take mine out and use it, just for the colours.

12-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Would a focal reducer adapter K-mount (FF) -> K-mount (APS-C) work? Or impossible because registration distance change is part of the equation?
It would be impossible since a focal reducer also reduces the registration distance of the lens. Since the lens has to be closer to the sensor than without the focal reducer AND you also need some space for the focal reducer itself, it can only be envisaged with a K-mount lens on a short-registered body, i.e. a mirrorless camera.
12-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It would be impossible since a focal reducer also reduces the registration distance of the lens. Since the lens has to be closer to the sensor than without the focal reducer AND you also need some space for the focal reducer itself, it can only be envisaged with a K-mount lens on a short-registered body, i.e. a mirrorless camera.
Ah in this case, lets reduce our K mount focals to some Q ones
Gonne be a hell of a reducer lol
12-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ah in this case, lets reduce our K mount focals to some Q ones
Gonne be a hell of a reducer lol
Perhaps I don't understand the mechanics - but - aren't we already doing that?
12-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perhaps I don't understand the mechanics - but - aren't we already doing that?
No, cause the focal reducer would preserve the "native" FOV of the lens, i.e. you would get the "whole image" onto the smaller sensor -- eliminates the crop factor. (And actually makes the lens faster.)
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK - got it now. You're right - that would be a killer focal reducer. Maybe only for the Q7 (oof)
12-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
LOL.

on the other hand, is a K-02 like this is possible from technical standpoint?
I think it would be possible, but it don't make much sense to make a camera like this.
A K-01 with FF sensor would be cheaper, smaller and produce images with higher IQ.
12-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #194
Pentaxian

Many people complained in this thread about the colours. Well, from a marketing point of view, they are a killer feature. Last time I went to a photo expo, numerous (and I mean a lot) people were drawn to the Pentax booth because of the colourful Qs and K50s. Then they began handling the K-3 and were impressed. Then they handled the limiteds... etc etc.
12-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
colourful Qs and K50s
Gateway drug to the k-3